Peppermint ice cream cake

Lyn

Heres the recipe for the ice cream cake I mentioned in another post. I havent made it yet, and not sure if I would make it peppermint flavour either. Im sure we could just change the flavour / essence accordingly.

I bought an ice cream cake for my sons last birthday - it didnt provide as many serves as suggested on the box !!! And no - we're not big ice cream eaters !!! :thumbdown:

Base :

150g packet Oreo cookies

100g unsalted butter - melted

1/2 cup hundreds and thousands

Ice Cream Filling :

4 litres vanilla ice cream

1 x 395g can sweetened condensed milk

4 x 35g bars peppermint crisp - finely chopped

1 t peppermint essence

green food colouring to tint

Turn the base of a 26cm springform cake pan (base measures 24cm) upside down. Place a sheet of baking paper over the base so it extends 3cm over the side. Secure side to pan. Grease side of pan then line with a piece of baking paper, extending paper 2cm over the side.

Put ice cream in a large bowl, stand at room temperature for 20 minutes to soften slightly.

To make biscuit base, place cookies in a food processor and process until they resemble fine breadcrumbs. Stir in butter and hundreds and thousands.

Press mixture over base of pan and place in freezer while preparing the filling.

To make ice cream filling, pour condensed milk over the ice cream. Add peppermint crisps, essence and a few drops of food colouring. Gently stir until mixture turns green. Spoon or pour over biscuit base in pan and smooth the top. Cover and freeze over night.

Take ice cream cake from freezer. Remove side from pan and place the cake on a plate. Decorate the top if you wish and return to freezer.

Serves 12.

For the addicts out there. Recently found that Coles stock a Peppermint Crisp chocolate bar, tastes very similar/same as the RSA one. Sorry, dont remember the brand name, ask in store.

Archived