My Biltong in old fashioned meat safe

chester

I have noticed everybody does all sorts of wierd boxes to hang up their biltong. Now we did have a thread about making biltong about 2 /3 yrs ago if anybody is interested to look it up. I personally use budget rump steak for my biltong, budget meaning it's a beast that is over 2 years old, which I think is tastier anyway.

I have blogged about making biltong and posted a picture of my meat safe which DH made for me. My blog

Also running a Pay It Forward give away, you need to write a story, post it in your blog then comment on my other blog. I have 2 spots left. Would you like a homemade pressie sent to you?

I have noticed everybody does all sorts of wierd boxes to hang up their biltong. Now we did have a thread about making biltong about 2 /3 yrs ago if anybody is interested to look it up. I personally use budget rump steak for my biltong, budget meaning it's a beast that is over 2 years old, which I think is tastier anyway.

I have blogged about making biltong and posted a picture of my meat safe which DH made for me. My blog

Also running a Pay It Forward give away, you need to write a story, post it in your blog then comment on my other blog. I have 2 spots left. Would you like a homemade pressie sent to you?

You know - every single time I go to Coles, there is rump steak on sale... and I have wondered every single time whether it would be suitable for biltong!

Thanks for the heads-up! :thumbdown:

You know - every single time I go to Coles, there is rump steak on sale... and I have wondered every single time whether it would be suitable for biltong!

Thanks for the heads-up! :thumbdown:

Any meat can be spiced and dried. Silverside is a cheaper cut, but I have used most cuts. As Chester says she uses only Rump. I personally prefer silverside, becuase to get long strips with the grain is best, but getting a butcher to supply it unsalted takes a bit of hunting. Also the siverside is a coarser meat so it seems to absorp spices better

Thanks for sharing your blog... going to have a good read through it one morning when the kids are at school!

• 4 months later...

I haven't been here for sometime, and only now saw these replies.

Karen in Brisbane , I am glad you approve of the blog, Hope you become a regular visitor there.

Eva, Thanks for popping in and look forward to seeing you again, leave a comment then I know you have been around.

Thought I would just mention my other blog

Please pop in and have a read, it's not only my stories but a few guest writers as well.

• 4 weeks later...

After doing a bit of research on this topic, I made my own safe over the weekend and thought it would be a good idea to share it with you all.

I got the cabinet second hand for $40, the fan for $22 from bunnings and flyscreen was about $5. I hung the biltong on Friday around 11:30pm and believe it or not, some pieces were ready to eat 3 days later.

Yummy, and it tastes much better than the biltong I have bought from some butcheries.

post-9765-1272964922.jpg

Hi Juba

Looks great.. Almost misses home..

Lourica

And all this in your lounge room!

And all this in your lounge room!

Yip, not good though, out of the 30 odd slices I had 2 weeks ago, there are only 7 left... :ilikeit:

Ons maak ook biltong hier bo in die noorde. Ons gebruik vleis wat hulle Round eye noem hier rond.

Werk net so goed en proe net so lekker.

Sukkel nog so bietjie met die spices.

We buy rump or silverside (NOT corned silverside its too salty!)..takes 3 to 4 days in hubby's home-made box.

Eers toe ek by die huis kom kom ek agter dat die 3kg se silverside gesout is! En die spices wat ek het al klaar sout deur gemeng gehad!

Ek sny dit maar dun en drink bier saam met dit! Dan proe dit nie te sout nie! (veral na n paar biere!)

Eers toe ek by die huis kom kom ek agter dat die 3kg se silverside gesout is! En die spices wat ek het al klaar sout deur gemeng gehad!

Ek sny dit maar dun en drink bier saam met dit! Dan proe dit nie te sout nie! (veral na n paar biere!)

Ha ha, toemaar ek het ook 'n hele ruk terug my eerste paar stukke gesoute silverside gekoop en dit nogal goed gesout ook, na so 4 dae dog ek dit is muf maar dit was toe die sout wat deurgeslaan het...School boy error, maar ons sal nie weer nie, sal ons?

Ek het vir jou en Down Under dalk 'n resep as julle dit wil gebruik, dit is op my blog. http://joubertsdownunder.blogspot.com/

Archived