Mielie meel/White Cornmeal/Corn Meal porridge

sonnetjie

Saw on Thursday in Franklins, St Ives in Sydney that they selling 10kg bags of Mielie meel/White cornmeal for $13,99 an absolute bargain. Heaps cheaper than a pack of cereal. If you having a braai/ barbeque enjoy eating mieliepap I suggest you pop in and get yourself a bag.

It is in the South African section of Franklins, close to the fruit & veg section.

Not financially connected to the above just thought it a good deal.

Did you know that Franklins was restablished in 2001 after being bought out by Pick n Pay, yes the South African one.

Unfortunately the 80 odd stores only operate in NSW.

I wish they were in Victoria as well.

• 1 month later...

I like mieliemeel. You can make stywepap, mieliepap and krummelpap with one product, made stywepap last weekend while on camp at Berrie with n potjie, dit was lekker.

Hel, nou is ek lus vir mielie pap.....met botter en suiker!!

Ohhhh...Bok. I so, so agree!! :lol:

Erica

Saw on Thursday in Franklins, St Ives in Sydney that they selling 10kg bags of Mielie meel/White cornmeal for $13,99 an absolute bargain. Heaps cheaper than a pack of cereal. If you having a braai/ barbeque enjoy eating mieliepap I suggest you pop in and get yourself a bag.

It is in the South African section of Franklins, close to the fruit & veg section.

Not financially connected to the above just thought it a good deal.

Hi sonnetjie!

We used to love Mielie meel as porridge, do you recall a porridge called Matebela? (not sure of spelling) I remember it being dark brown????

Oh, my word......too die for....have seen nothing of it's kind here, maybe a good thing!

Erica

Erica, you can get Maltabella from the SA shop here in Melbourne! Check, I am sure the one's in Perth may have it too.

Erica, you can get Maltabella from the SA shop here in Melbourne! Check, I am sure the one's in Perth may have it too.

That's IT!!! Maltabella......oh thank-you Mara!! I will most def check up!

Erica

hey Erica

We bought at the SA shop in Duncraig.

Oz girl

Thanks Oz girl! off my diet now, so this is wonderful news! My kids just love the stuff, and I am glad......as it is very healthy, I too was raised on it!

Erica

Erica Glad you have been able to find some in Melbourne. Franklins sells Maltabella and Stanley street butcher in St Ives does as well. It is great for breakfast. We just make it in the microwave.

• 3 months later...

Just for interest sake - Maltabella is made from malted sorghum, not maize. Do they grow sorghum in Oz - not sure?

Archived