Cost of food for 7 nights in Perth

Johan du Toit

How much money would I need for food during our stay in Perth. We will be there for 7 nights. 2 adults, 1 child (3 years old)

How much if we want to eat like kings?

How much if we want to survive.

Take note that we do not plan on eating out. We will buy all groceries at supermarket.

Coles has a huge advertising campaign where they say that they feed a family your size for $10 a meal. Its about right, but would be a budget meal.

If you want to live on the absolute bare minimum you'd probably get away for under $100 for the week. Realistically though if you want to eat really well I'd budget for between $150 and $200. That way you can throw in a few luxuries like Tim Tams :)

When in the crocery stores don't just grab the first thing you see, there are often specials running like buy one get one free or "3 for the price of 2". Taking 2 seconds to check the prices and buying whatever has been reduced can stretch your money without compromising on how well you eat. That excludes any wine or liquor though, which is pretty pricey in Aus - if you have space in your bags and want to enjoy some wine or your favourite whiskey I'd bring that from SA for the week.

Also, the above does not includes things like nappies or other speciallity stuff - not sure if your 3 year old would still need anything like that (e.g. box of 64 huggies nappies = around $40)

Go on this Woolworths website, click on Shop Online, then put your postcode in as 2041 (mine in Sydney) and search for your kind of food. This would give you the best indication.

http://www.woolworths.com.au/

Archived