Where did you stay when you arrived?

Michele R

Hi,

I was just wondering what you guys did when you first got to Brisbane, where did you stay?

We have no clue what to do, as we haven't secured jobs yet (though hubby's got a Skype interview next Tuesday, hold thumbs!).

Did you spend the first few weeks camping, or in a motel?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated! :P

Thanks Eva, I'm looking into that. That first month when our hard earned SA Rands have to get us through is going to be the worst, but I'm sure we'll make it somehow. I'm prepared to camp if I have to :P

We used www.stayz.com.au website when going for our VISA activation holiday and found good deals. Compared to even the motels, AUD135 a day for the house we stayed in was a bargain: Latte House, Wynnum (Queenslander: 3 bedrooms, nothing fancy but clean and fully equiped house in residential area, close to station, shops, lovely wade pool and parks. easy access to airport). Also used the flat at the back of the house (named little Gem), suitable for 2 people (brandnew and fully equiped). Had a lovely stay.

The owners get back to you very quickly, and are willing to make deals when you stay for longer periods. Depending on if you're a family and if you're taking furniture, you could rent for a week or so and look out for other cheaper longterm accomodation. in newspapers. Had an offer for AUD100 per day from "The White House"'s owner - also on stayz website (very big and fancy house - but we did not take it because we wanted to be near public transport). We can really recommend this website if you're looking for acommodation. Hope you find something that suits the taste and pocket. You're going to love Brisbane!

Thanks so much for that website PhilChris!

I will definitely have a look there, the prices sound a bit more reasonable. We're already living off our savings here in SA, so am panicking a bit about the finances. And watching the Rand Dollar exchange rate isn't helping either! :)

But must say I am quite excited to be at the stage where we're looking for accommodation and thinking about flight dates! :ilikeit:

I also suggested camping when i saw the price of accommodation - it seems extra worse because we have to use our rands and convert - thank goodness my hubby said no to that idea - the thaught of sleeping on camping beds after the long flight was not a welcome thaught what with a infant of 14 months and 2 busy boys.

We have booked in at the Brisbane holiday village (www.brisbaneholiday.com.au) their 2 bedroom cabin is $470 a week with a minimum stay of 4 weeks and on a weekly basis thereafter. They also have 1 bedroom cabins for $380. It looks like a good place to keep the kids occupied while we get down to the serious business of settling in and finding a home. It is terrible to have to convert to pay our rent but what else can we do - also living on savings.

Hubby has to start work on the 4 Jan so we are trying to see for flights around the 20th. IOM have given us good flight rates and an extra 20 kg luggage allowance each, but for Xmas eve and we are not keen to get there right on xmas day - not fair for us or the kids to sit with jet lag on one of the most important christian holidays.

Have a look at the website Ourbrisbane.com it has a wonderful layout with all you need to know and more. It also has the feature for searching for accommodation to suit all pockets.

Not an easy task to find accommodation i spent ages looking - good luck with your search and hope the job interview goes well for your hubby.

Marina

Thanks for the advice Marina.

It's just comforting to know that we're not alone. The Rand Dollar exchange rate is really making me depressed, but hopefully we'll be able to sort something out before we get there.

Will let you know how the interview goes, please keep your fingers crossed!

Thanks for the advice Marina.

It's just comforting to know that we're not alone. The Rand Dollar exchange rate is really making me depressed, but hopefully we'll be able to sort something out before we get there.

Will let you know how the interview goes, please keep your fingers crossed!

Hey Hey!!! Final stages for you guys too then??? We're booking our flights this coming week. Looking to arrive second week in March and I have to say that accommodation is also a concern for us.

When you guys making the jump?

See you over there then?

Jenny

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Hey!!! Final stages for you guys too then??? We're booking our flights this coming week. Looking to arrive second week in March and I have to say that accommodation is also a concern for us.

When you guys making the jump?

See you over there then?

Jenny

Hi Jenny and Marina , we are also from East London and had been in the UK for 9 years before moving to Brisbane in 2008.

We live in Wynnum and can help you to look into accommodation. Sa friends of ours are moving out of their rental early as they have been transferred to Mackay , but if you find a place or need us to go look at a place we will , we know how hard it is to find a rental and even a long term rental once you arrived are also hard to find.

So shout if we can help and good luck!!

Kemps

you may want to try this website as well www.lastminute.com.au I know a few people have managed to get very good deals through this website - you can also search by budget which is quite a good option.

Good Luck!

Hi everyone,

We have got a couple of weeks of timeshare due to us so I thought we would start off with that when we arrived. It will cost me the international exchange fee.

I am hoping to be on the gold coast next May.

Joanna

you may want to try this website as well www.lastminute.com.au I know a few people have managed to get very good deals through this website - you can also search by budget which is quite a good option.

Good Luck!

Thanks Coyote, will have a look on there.

Every time I do a Rand Dollar rate conversion, I nearly have a heart attack! Oh well, it'll be worth it in the end.

Archived