Anybody Interested In a Potjiekos Competition???

Olaf

Potjiekos Competition  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Let me know if you would be interested

• Definately
    • Maybe
    • I don't have a potjie

Remember this only to see if people would be interested.

Only detail I can give you now is that it will be held somewhere in Brisbane

Let me know if you know of a good place to have it

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't have a potjie

Not to worry, springbok foods on the gold coast sell them check out the pricelist online but im sure if we have a few people who wants to buy them I can arrange something with Fred (Owner)

And another thing, if you say yo uwould be definately interested in this event please put a comment on the wall so I know who you are.

Thanks

Olof

If you don't have a potjie

Not to worry, springbok foods on the gold coast sell them check out the pricelist online but im sure if we have a few people who wants to buy them I can arrange something with Fred (Owner)

And another thing, if you say yo uwould be definately interested in this event please put a comment on the wall so I know who you are.

Thanks

Olof

I have a pot we have used it often. We are in In Brisbane area, what did you have in mind? I entered several competitions in RSA for fun

Regards

Mike

I have a pot we have used it often. We are in In Brisbane area, what did you have in mind? I entered several competitions in RSA for fun

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike

Not sure at the moment, just find a good venue in brisbane where we can have open fires, have a entry fee which will go to a few prizes and just have a good time with some saffas.

Will probably make a few categories e.g. beef, skaap, chicken and vegetable will go in one category and then exotic. and then we will have a few guest judges who will decide.

If you can give any tips or hints that will be great

Thanks

HI People

I have had a look around and thought Bunyaville Forest Reserve 15km NW of brisbane would be a good place seeing it is in a reserve, dogs are allowed and there is fire places.

Please look on the epa site and tell me what you think

https://www.epa.qld.gov.au/parks_and_forest...st_reserve.html

Olaf :ilikeit:

Hi Olaf

Still looking for a potjie, but would love for hubby to learn how to make potjie. Waiting for the english potjie recipe book.

Steph

Hi Olaf

Still looking for a potjie, but would love for hubby to learn how to make potjie. Waiting for the english potjie recipe book.

Steph

Hi Steph

Springbok food have potjies for sale number 2 and 3's sizes. If you live in brisbane or south east queensland they have drop off points orthey can just post it to you

Hi Olaf

Bunyaville looks good and is close to us but there is a total fire ban in SE QLD, the site also says this.

I know this is not tradition but we have used gas for several now because of this. We have a little camp thing from BCF

We are not available this coming weekend 28 29

Steph

I have 2 pots size 2 and a 3 we bought here and a few english recipe books, I can help out with a loan so you can try before you buy.

Also if you buy you should season the pot first anyway. Sandpaper it then cook some fat, bones etc, then clean and sand and do it again.

South African best Braai recipes, Sannie Smit Potjie recipes, and Huisgenoot 80 tested recipes all english. ( My favorite book went walk about)

regards

Mike

Would love to if it is not too far!

But isnt there still a total fire ban on at the moment?

Thanks All

Ordered the potjie for hubby from Springbok and the Huisgenoot recipe book to. Thanks for the advice and offers though it is appreciated.

@Mike - Could you maybe post on here how a potjie should be properly prepared for use so i can let hubby read it before it gets stuffed up.

Thanks again all, can't wait for that potjie to arrive.

Steph

:thumbdown::ilikeit:

Would love to if it is not too far!

But isnt there still a total fire ban on at the moment?

Hi read the bold text in my post above yours

So we can either wait till the fire ban is over or everybody can use gas.

I would say wait till fire ban is over because a fire is just so much better than gas

Good idea.

Gives hubby a chance to practice how to use his new potjie :hug::thumbdown:

Hi There, we are only landing in OZ in Jan but I use my dad's recipe and it makes for one kick ass potjie!! Also, I actually prefer gas to make a potjie as it keeps the pot lekker hot and I dont have to keep on adding wood to the fire.

Thanks All

@Mike - Could you maybe post on here how a potjie should be properly prepared for use so i can let hubby read it before it gets stuffed up

Steph

Steph, sorry I hav not responded about preperation.

First sand paper the inside to remove as much of the black grit as possible and get it smooth.

(gas will work use a gas cooker from BCF or similar but fire is best). 5 or 6 coals under the pot. Throw out

place coals inside and get the pot hot. Then take the pot off the heat and put the lid on. Let the pot cool slowly.

This first process removes any stress caused during casting.

When cool enough to touch, put water and vinegar in the pot and boil for a while then remove form heat and cool and wash with warm water and soap.

Sand the pot again then reheat and put a little water, lots of meat fats offcuts cooking oil and all sorts of fat, meat off cuts in the pot and heat. stir the meat and spread the oils all over the metal to the top of the inside when hot. Throw all this rubish out, rinse in water and sand pape again. Do not burn the pot

DO NOT WASH WITH SOAP, but only water and steel wool or similar. At this stage the pot is oiled and is done but I was told to then reheat and cook with vegetable skins leaves etc with oil. (Not sure what this does but I did it.) Let it boil for 10 minutes then remove and allow to cool

Clean and rub with steel wool or sand paper the inside again and it is ready to use.

I was told to never wash with soap or this removes the oils, but after use I wash using using a little dish soap.

After clening spray with canola spray and cook or smear with cooking oil and replace the lid. One pot of mine is now 25 years old, and it never rusts

Some dont do the destress. I was told it is good to rub the burnt coal dust into teh outer surface to stop rust

Perhaps Olaf has some ideas on preperation

So we can either wait till the fire ban is over or everybody can use gas.

I would say wait till fire ban is over because a fire is just so much better than gas

I dont mind either way. Coals make the process longer and more time for some of the traditions of a braai fire with a ribs while the main meal cooks.

Gas is quick and clean, so we will wait a bit then

Archived