Spiders/snakes in Adelaide

OzDreamer

Hi everyone :)

Have come across the fact that there are numerous poisonous snakes/spiders to be found throughout Australia.

I'm terrified of goggas :D - now and then have spiders, crickets, even grasshoppers in my home - gril my dood!! :(:o

Can you please tell me how prevalent snakes/spiders are in Adelaide specifically? How do people cope with these unwelcome creatures in their homes/cars/lives?

:( .....Aragnaphobian (actually all-round 'goggaphobian') me! :whome:

Hi everyone :(

Have come across the fact that there are numerous poisonous snakes/spiders to be found throughout Australia.

I'm terrified of goggas :o - now and then have spiders, crickets, even grasshoppers in my home - gril my dood!! :(:o

Can you please tell me how prevalent snakes/spiders are in Adelaide specifically? How do people cope with these unwelcome creatures in their homes/cars/lives?

:D .....Aragnaphobian (actually all-round 'goggaphobian') me! :)

Hi there

Ek het nou die dag 'n artikel gelees oor die "gevaarlike" slange in Australië http://members.iinet.net.au/~bush/myth.html :(

Wys jou net ons eet ook maar alles soos soetkoek op as ons vertel word van goeters waarvan ons nie weet nie, soos die res van die wêreld ook alles wat hulle kon opeet van SA voor 1994 en nou is hulle vol en beweeg na die volgende tafel... :(

Soos ek verstaan is die kanse maar skraal dat 'n slang jou sal pik, of dat 'n spinnekop jou sal toespin en vir haar kinders voer. Kyk hier oor spinnekoppe http://www.xs4all.nl/~ednieuw/australian/Spidaus.html

Soos alles in die lewe, sien leef en laat leef... :whome:

Niks erger as Pretoria en omgewing met slange en spinnekoppe nie. :)

Jy sal oorleef

My wife and I live in Adelaide, and I absolutely hate it when I'm driving down my country road late at night.

The headlights are on and you notice an enormous thing, as big as your hand, walking across your windscreen.

There's only one way to flick him off.

You turn your wipers on . . . but he just keeps walking across the screen towards your side of the car? . . . . . :D

Hi Bob,

You must be joking!!! :D I thought spiders were more common in Queensland and area…?

Bye, Pippa! X

Hi Pippa -

We have redbacks (like knopiespinnekoppe), huntsmen (big and hairy), wolf spiders (BIG and hairy), black house spiders (black and mean-looking with a funnel web) and whitetips in our garden and house. You just basically look where you put your hands and feet like you would in SA - no different. There was a brown snake in our pool a few weeks ago - must have got thirsty. We have also seen a red bellied back snake in someone's garden. Generally, they leave us alone - just make a lot of noise when you go stomping around the bush and wear long socks / jeans. It's not much worse or better than in South Africa and at least the animals aren't that bad here in Adelaide. If you go snorkelling or scuba diving you need to watch where you put your fingers between the rocks because there are blue-ringed octupuses here - and of course the sharks. Oh, and male platypuses have poisonous spikes on their feet .... hehe. Not too common though.

BTW - most homes have fly screens on the doors and windows, which keeps the crawlies (and snakes) out of the house - it's just the whitetips that we find in the house, along with littlies like daddy-long-legs. :D

Bob - we've had the spider on a car windscreen experience as well - you've never heard me scream so loud in my life (it was on my side). tee hee

Edited by Annette

Annette always seems to take pity on the folks I tease and delivers the info they're looking for.

Basically, all snakes in South Australia you can regard as "bad news".

Dont tease themor play with them.

Most people that end up in hospital with snake bites are those who have mucked around with them. . . . just leave them alone and they will leave you alone. You're too big to eat, so they don't see you as tucker. They just want to get out of your way, given half a chance, so just give them time to get out of your way.

In long grass, wear long trousers or slacks and make a bit of noise to let them hear you coming.

Spiders you just stick a frozen pack of ice (or frozen beans / peas) on the bite to stop the poison from reacting. All spidre bites in Australia are protein based and if you chill the local area, this prevents the protein from reacting and kicking in.

Simple.

Living in Adelaide presents no problem with snakes or spiders.

You don't see much of them from one year to the next.