I need an electrical certificate for the house sale

Kangabok

:ilikeit::ilikeit:

We have just accepted an offer on our house in SA which was in the market for many months! :cry: Hubby contacted a electrician recommended by a friend for the electrical certificate and he just today qouted us R 25 000.00 for "a few things" needed to be done before he can issue the certificate!!!! :cry::ilikeit::ilikeit: This is the same house we bought 4 years ago with an issued electrical certificate and NOTHING has changed electricitywise since then, so where on earth does this come from! Oh...I know of course...mr the electrician knows we are in Oz, so we are very, very "verlee" and thousands of km's away and we are earning AU$$$, so lets nail them all the way!!!

Anybody with a name of a electrician who does certificates in Pretoria without going for your throat without any conscience just because you are in Oz and therefore in this #$%^ position...., please PM me with details! We are more than willing to pay if there a a few things which need to be fixed but R 25000.00 is ridiculous. I am so angry and sad at the same time that fellow countrymen try to take advantage of you in a situation like this!

I had exactly the same problem. Just it cost me in the region of R60 000 to fix my house a few years ago. In trying to go the legal route and I had to involve the Gauteng Electrical Board and I ended up with a letter from them stating I have to fix the faults within 60 days. Legally I got nowhere.

THERE IS NO LAW THAT STATES YOU HAVE TO PRESENT ELECTRICAL COMPLIANCE AT DEEDS OFFICE. It only applies to business buildings. I do think that law is changing by end of this year though.

All I can say is this (from experience). Get the dodgiest electrician to issue a certificate. Trust me, when you in OZ, it is near impossible and not worth the legal fees to get back at you. I tried as my seller left for OZ and I was left with egg on my face.

Go through your local adverts and look for an Indian or BEE electrician. If they give you a big quote, just tell them you will find someone else.

15. ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION COMPLIANCE CERTIFICATE

Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this agreement, the Seller shall

deliver at his expense, to the Agents or Conveyancers, a certificate of

compliance in terms of the Government Regulation No.2920 of 1992, issued

by an accredited person who is registered with the Electrical Contracting

Board of South Africa, which is acceptable to the Registrar of Deeds, local

authority or supplier of electricity, certifying that the electrical installation of

the premises is in accordance with SABS, or is reasonably safe. Should the

aforesaid accredited person report that there is a fault or defect in the electrical

installation, the Seller shall be obliged, at his expense, within 21 days of

receipt of such report and recommendations to contract with an electrical

contractor or any other qualified person to carry out the repairs as

recommended so as to enable the accredited person to issue the certificate

aforesaid.

Kangabok:

This is probably the clause (standard - included in all Estate Agents & Attorneys Agreements ) that is included in the sale agreement, now whilst you may not be expected to deliver an Electrical Compliance Certificate at Deeds Office, you are certainly bound to your agreement. The conveyancers will not let the transfer be registered if there is no sign of a Compliance certificate. You may sign a waiver and release yourself from providing the certificate, provided the purchaser agrees to this. This waiver needs to be in the form of an addendum to your original sale agreement. Good Luck!

And Biker : Are you implying that Indian & BEE Electricians are all dodgy?? Clearly your bad experience has destroyed your fair judgment.

Get the dodgiest electrician to issue a certificate. Trust me, when you in OZ, it is near impossible and not worth the legal fees to get back at you. I tried as my seller left for OZ and I was left with egg on my face.

Go through your local adverts and look for an Indian or BEE electrician. If they give you a big quote, just tell them you will find someone else.

Hi Kangabok,

If you are referring to a Certificate of Compliance (COC), contact Ace Electrical who are accredited, all hours 0727140500 or tel (011)7626825.

I called this morning and their current quote for COC is R450 and they can do Pretoria.

They give you the COC on same day of inspection if they are satisfied all ok and want cash payment for it because they know once COC in hand you can submit to Deeds Office for the sale of your house.

Hope they will be able to assist you.

Jennifer

I have been through a :) load of legal stuff and the CONVEYANCER is the one who let the sale go through WITHOUT even an old certificate.

I was told (despite it being specified in my purchase contract!!) that this 'law' refers to commercial/industrial buildings. It is the transferring attorneys that also screwed me, so if anyone thinks I'm being biased towards dodgy BEE or even WHITE electricians, think again. Lawyers are the the lowest form of life after amoeba.

In fact, why not check NELSON BORMANN Attorneys on hellopeter.com and see for yourself how many complaints there are against them.

Terry Matthews by name. Scum of this earth *SPIT-SPEW* Braak gal!

Fact is, that clause as quoted might as well not be in your contract. And hint to anyone wanting to sell, ask the estate agent to remove the clause altogether as it is NOT a legal requirement yet.

Archived