457 - School fees in Victoria

Serendipity

Hi all

Please can someone help me regarding school fees for children aged 11 and 9 on a 457 visa

- this will be in regional Victoria and a state school?

What will it cost us per month / annum?

Nervous about this as i have read in various places that schooling can be very expensive :cry:

Read this on another forum link but doesn't help much

"Victoria, Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania & North Territory

457 visa holders are eligible for subsidised education when enrolling at Government schools in these states/territory."

Thanks all

Regards

S

Serendipity, it is only in NSW and ACT on a 457 that you would have to pay international school fees for your children as they are regarded as foreign students. In Victoria you would pay the same as everyone else, but sorry, I do not have school kids, so no idea what that is.

Serendipity, it is only in NSW and ACT on a 457 that you would have to pay international school fees for your children as they are regarded as foreign students. In Victoria you would pay the same as everyone else, but sorry, I do not have school kids, so no idea what that is.

From what I could gather its about $395/ anually for secondary school and about $95 /anually for primary school. Secondary school here starts from year 7 (grade7 or standard 5). That is what I was told so it may differ from school to school. Also note that this is for public schools and not private schools.

Hope this helps

Hi all

Please can someone help me regarding school fees for children aged 11 and 9 on a 457 visa

- this will be in regional Victoria and a state school?

What will it cost us per month / annum?

Nervous about this as i have read in various places that schooling can be very expensive :unsure:

Read this on another forum link but doesn't help much

"Victoria, Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania & North Territory

457 visa holders are eligible for subsidised education when enrolling at Government schools in these states/territory."

Thanks all

Regards

S

Hi

We have been in Melbourne, Victoria for 20 months now and my 8 year old and 17 year old have been at school for the time we have been here. We were also on a 457 Visa and we only paid for materials the kids were going to use that year and my daughter's books in high school. I am not sure if it varies between the state schools but this is what we paid, for the whole year:

Primary school grade 2 materials and stationery: $ 175.00

Voluntary contributions - library trust, grounds development,building trust (tax deductable) $90

Art Smock "$ 14.00

For my daughter it was $270 for the year for materials, and $250 for her textbooks (second hand).

Excursions are extra about $25.00, and are not every term.

Their uniforms are not too bad and my son can wear tracksuit pants and golf shirts as long as they are the school colours. He also wears tackies which are great with no laces to tie in the mornings! At the moment there are no blazers (yay!) and he has a padded jacket and poloneck for winter. The school is heated in winter and airconditioned in summer.

We stay on the western side of Melbourne which is a growing community with lots of new estates being built with affordable land and housing. You are wecome to pm me if you have any other questions.

Hope this helps

Lisa du Toit (from Gauteng)

Wow Mara thanks so much for this info coz I never knew !!

I was stressing about paying international fees.

Hi,

My son is in Grade 4, we paid about $100 for schools fees, we had to pay for some stationery - $30 and pay for any field trips when necessary in Melbourne,VIC.

My daughter has been accepted to Council Kinder for 3 days a week for 3.5 hours, that will cost us $145 per term.

As for Day Care Centres, their fees will ruin your day - anything from $50 per day to $95 per. Bear in mind they are of a very high standard, the carer rate to child rate is something like 3 to 1 and meals are of a good standard. I have never experienced this personally. though.

Thanks everyone for the heaps of information.

So glad that high schools fees are one thing less to worry about, shew :ilikeit:

Archived