New Members

Carmen & Dale

Hello everyone,

For many months (running into years in fact), we have been guests on this forum looking in on all your posts anonomously. Finally, we have taken the plunge and registered. Firstly let me say, this is a great place to just share and support. Thanks for that in the past.

We are about to put our papers in, yet still have one foot in SA.

I just really wanted to find out about the cost of living in Oz versus SA. I have done so much research and have read reams and reams of info about incomes and costs of things, but would want to hear from others (the horse's mouth so to speak) whether it is as hard financially as what you keep hearing? Everywhere you go, everyone says Ozzie is so expensive. Relatively, is that actually true?

Seem to be rambling on, but would love to hear how those that have gone before have managed to cope with the change in earnings?

Thanks. :ilikeit:

Carmen

Welcome to the forum :ilikeit:

Dont know much about cost of living in Oz as I'm sill here, but I like your questions, lets see what they say....

Regards

Kyto

Yes, I would say it is expensive to live in Australia. But saying that you can live. Insurance on vehicles, homes etc is much cheaper, you have no alarms etc so no monitoring and armed response to pay every month. I do work on a budget and by things when I see specials, the specials are really worth it, and when they do sales in places like Target (like the hub) etc they really are sales.

We aren't earing big wages, and we live well, manage to save a bit. I only work half day. Depending where you live too makes a difference, Sydney I hear is very expensive, Brisbane cheaper, house rentals vary a lot.

Hope that helps, Jill

PS, Welcome to the forum.

Where you live influences the answer. In WA the train ride from Mandurah to Perth (72kms) costs $8.40 for a family. In Sydney the train ride from the airport to city centre (12kms) is $14 per person. In Perth the buses in the central city are free. In Sydney they are not.

Anyway besides all that we are so much better off in Aus. We are able to afford stuff we could only dream of in South Africa. If we had to return to RSA we would be taking a step down in standard of living.

Welcome to the forum.

Cost of most things depend where you live... where are you looking are settling?

In WA the train ride from Mandurah to Perth (72kms) costs $8.40 for a family. In Sydney the train ride from the airport to city centre (12kms) is $14 per person. In Perth the buses in the central city are free. In Sydney they are not.

Just to clear up, in Sydney the train route from the airport to the city is on a private line and therefore much more expensive than any other journey in Sydney and surrounds. Also there is a free bus route in the Sydney CBD. http://www.sydneybuses.info/news/115/91.htm

Short answer to your question: As soon as you start earning Aus $ you will be fine and possibly better off. Of course, depending where you live, normally Sydney is more expensive, but you earn more too. Also it depends how you choose to live, remember in SA people are more status aware, in Aus the Joneses cant care less about what you have. Some things in Aus is more than SA and some are cheaper. Also, the government bends over backwards for you in many instances and I love seeing where my tax money goes. Dont beat yourself up about the figures at this stage.

My 2c worth.

Before you r earning and probably stil converting it is VERY expensive! Take out or visit to a coffee shop 2 Adult and 2 kids $25-30 (R200) and thats just coffee and a small snack! Also the first food shopping just don't convert---it's too scary!!Now we r earning and learning what is good value it is much better.Also unlike SA the "house brands" at Woolies or Coles really are a lot cheaper than a recognised brand and thay still taste good!-Normally almost 1/2 the price not just a few cents like Pick n Pay and Spar!

I haven't been here long but my 2c.

If you convert things are more expensive, but with both of us working we will be able to affrod a better lifestyle and savings than what we had in SA.

Also, there is always some kind of sale going on somewhere, just keep an eye out for them. I agree with the no name brands! I always try to by my milk and bread supply at Coles, as their best buy brand is the cheapest to other stores.

Hi Guys,

Welcome to the forum

Just for the record, Brisbane also has free bus services operating in the CBD.

One running clockwise, and the other anti-clockwise.

There is another one running between Spring Hill and the CBD, also free.

The airport train service (Airtrain) is also privately operated, and is therefor more

expensive than the normal public train services.

The above info just for in case you decide to make Brisbane your final destination :ilikeit:

Regards

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with the other forumites, I think it depends where you settle. While some things in Aus are more expensive, other things are again much cheaper. Family from Perth recently came to visit and couldn't believe how expensive things have gotten in SA, especially food.

If you're still unsure, why not google some of the stores in Aus, most of them have an online shopping option or have online catalogues so you can see the prices. Just remember, you will be earning Aussie Dollars after the first month.

Where are you thinking of going to in Aus?

Hello and Welcome to the forum

I have to argee with Jordy it really differs from city to city.

We have just had family visiting from South Africa (Durban) and although they complained about how expensive Sydney and Melbourne was (as they were spending their S.A rands), they were pleasantly surprised that the Gold Coast and Brisbane was very affordable.

They said that things in S.A has gone up, and some things here on the Gold Coast was cheaper than in S.A.

If you give us an idea as to where you're hoping to settle we will be able to give you more details. Also how many people in the family and what ages etc.

Wishing you well.

Yes, I would say it is expensive to live in Australia. But saying that you can live. Insurance on vehicles, homes etc is much cheaper, you have no alarms etc so no monitoring and armed response to pay every month. I do work on a budget and by things when I see specials, the specials are really worth it, and when they do sales in places like Target (like the hub) etc they really are sales.

We aren't earing big wages, and we live well, manage to save a bit. I only work half day. Depending where you live too makes a difference, Sydney I hear is very expensive, Brisbane cheaper, house rentals vary a lot.

Hope that helps, Jill

PS, Welcome to the forum.

Thanks Jill! Appreciate your help.

Carmen

To everyone who has responded to this question of mine - BIG thanks! Your responses have overwhelmed us.

We are not sure where we would like to settle yet. But hubby is a fishing enthusiast so we will need to be near the ocean.

But back to a brief introduction, we are a family of 4 (2 kids aged 4 (girl) and 2 (boy)). We are not an extravagant family and we watch our budget too.

Our principal reason for exploring other shores is merely to provide a better future for our children (and for ourselves too I suppose). We have found that it has become increasingly more difficult to earn a sustainable living here in SA, while still having to save to educate our 2 kids and save for retirement etc. Hence my questions about costs of living.

We are really motivated your responses and appreciate your input.

Meeting with an agent in the next 2 weeks and then we need to get down and make the decision.

Will keep you posted.

Cheerio.

Carmen (and Dale!)

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with the other forumites, I think it depends where you settle. While some things in Aus are more expensive, other things are again much cheaper. Family from Perth recently came to visit and couldn't believe how expensive things have gotten in SA, especially food.

If you're still unsure, why not google some of the stores in Aus, most of them have an online shopping option or have online catalogues so you can see the prices. Just remember, you will be earning Aussie Dollars after the first month.

Where are you thinking of going to in Aus?

Still deciding, but I think you are quite right - once earning $ we will be fine.

Archived