Thinkpad T41 question - hdd and ati graphics card

ronfire

HI

I have an IBM Thinkpad T41 that's a couple of years old. In the last week or so, I ran into the dreaded 'infinite loop' blue screen of death due to ati2dvag. I've since uninstalled my ati mobility radeon card and the machine is working again. I don't really plan to use it for gaming (have a PC for that!) or video editing or anything so not too worried, but would like to have the additional graphics capability if possible.

Question - should I risk re-installing the same drivers? I went to the ATI website and they don't seem to have drivers for this series (7500) anymore, so not sure if new drivers even exist.

My T41 still runs the standard 40GB hdd. I would like to put in a bigger one, say around 120GB (perhaps even 500GB??).

Question - Can I safely put in a new hdd? I ask because I have no recovery disks. Can I simply do a backup, wipe the drive clean, put the new one and re-install the os?

Next question - if I want to put in a 100GB or higher hd, would I need to upgrade the RAM? I've currently got 1GB in there but (I haven't checked) I think it can go up to 2.

Thanks!

My experience is with my Apple Macbook Pro. So I can answer according to my experience.

1. You should be able to get the drivers either from ATI's site or IBM/Lenovo's site. You might just have to look a little bit harder.

2. You should be able to install up to a 1TB HDD into your machine without a problem. What I did is, I bought an external HDD case form my 2.5" driver, took the internal one out, put it into my external case, installed my new 320GB drive, then installed the OS and then just transferred via USB to my internal HDD. But it is always a good idea to make backups of your data. I think 10 DVD's should be more than adequate to store your essential stuff. On Apple machines, the OS caters for ALL their machines on a single disk, no extra drivers needed to be installed. However on IBM/PC laptops, it might be a different story, but most of the time, a standard windows install should be sufficient to get you up and running.

3. No you do not need to install more RAM if you want a bigger HDD. I would however recommend you install 2GB nonetheless, because the more RAM you have, the more responsive your machine will be due to the fact that it doesn't have to swap memory to disk(virtual memory) as much when running more applications.

HI

I have an IBM Thinkpad T41 that's a couple of years old. In the last week or so, I ran into the dreaded 'infinite loop' blue screen of death due to ati2dvag. I've since uninstalled my ati mobility radeon card and the machine is working again. I don't really plan to use it for gaming (have a PC for that!) or video editing or anything so not too worried, but would like to have the additional graphics capability if possible.

Question - should I risk re-installing the same drivers? I went to the ATI website and they don't seem to have drivers for this series (7500) anymore, so not sure if new drivers even exist.

My T41 still runs the standard 40GB hdd. I would like to put in a bigger one, say around 120GB (perhaps even 500GB??).

Question - Can I safely put in a new hdd? I ask because I have no recovery disks. Can I simply do a backup, wipe the drive clean, put the new one and re-install the os?

Next question - if I want to put in a 100GB or higher hd, would I need to upgrade the RAM? I've currently got 1GB in there but (I haven't checked) I think it can go up to 2.

Thanks!

You should be able to find the driver online if you know what the Graphics Processor is, if you dont I will search for you and find out. As for putting a new HD in, that should not be a problem depending on what size HD the bios supports. Putting a bigger faster HD in will not require you to add extra RAM.

If you need help finding out just let me know.

Great! Thanks, guys!

I'll dig a bit harder for those drivers. I'll give you a shout if I can't, Cramer - thanks for the offer.

Cheers

Ron

Archived