Point Cook, VIC

Impatient

We've recently moved to Point Cook and I was wondering if there is anyone on the forum from the area?

Regards

Mel

Great stuff! I am moving to Sanctuary lakes on Saturday with no furniture, haha!

Great stuff! I am moving to Sanctuary lakes on Saturday with no furniture, haha!

Join the club I am sleeping on the floor as well.

But thanks to very good South African friends ..They have borrowed me some furniture to make it easier.

Thanks you guys without you it would have been difficult.

ok, hoe lank is julle al in Aus?

I see fantastic furniture have some good deals, i will have to shop for a bedroom suit on Saturday and hopefully they can still deliver the same day else I am ending up on the floor as well.

Any tips on where to shop for appliances i.e. Fridge/Freezer and Microwave?

I would take a slow drive down geelong road.."big mammas" sells shopsoiled stuff and there are plenty of furniture stores in that road as well as white goods ...lots of people like the "good guys" and if u ask for discount and pay cash u usually get it..

We are opposite the entrance to sanctuary lakes in "lincoln heath"...very nice area...im sure u will be happy here....

I see fantastic furniture have some good deals, i will have to shop for a bedroom suit on Saturday and hopefully they can still deliver the same day else I am ending up on the floor as well.

Any tips on where to shop for appliances i.e. Fridge/Freezer and Microwave?

Hey Search! Glad to see you settled on Point Cook. Has your wife arrived yet?

We've got a blow-up mattress if anyone wants to use it. :) It was our bed for a week when we just moved into our house, no fun sleeping on that when you're 8 months pregnant! :ilikeit:

Furniture wise I'd also say Good Guys for the electrical stuff and white goods. Fantastic Furniture has great package deals but the quality isn't so great in my opinion. There's always Ikea if all else fails.

Would you guys be interested in a get-together sometime?

Cheers

Mel

yes yes boet we are here.... :)

Just moved in about a week ago.

Hey guys

Where about are you? Do you have kids? Tell, tell! :ilikeit:

Hey guys

Where about are you? Do you have kids? Tell, tell! :)

Yes

Son 12 and Daughter 8

Do you want them...!!!!! lol

Oh, by the way, TBL is my husband's handle, I posted on his profile by accident but the kids are still up to swop! :rolleyes:

Hi,

Arriving in Melbourne in Feb permanently and Point Cook looks like the place we're thinking of settling. Quick question, how long is the commute to the CBD from there with public transport? And how green is the surrounding areas around Point Cook? What area in SA would you compare it with?

Thanks

Hi Esthee,

On the how green question, the answer would have to be not very. Geographically the area to the west of the city is flat (vlaktes) and more grassland type area, compared to the suburbs to the east which are more hilley (is there such a word) and also a lot greener. Point Cook is also growing so fast and there must be at least 500 houses under construction at any time, so it looks even more "vaal". This does not bother me so much as I work in the east (long trip) but my wife says the scenery here brings her down and would prefer the east as that is what she is used to back home.

On the train question. If you take an express train from Hoppers Crossing station to Flinders Street station in the CBD it takes about 30 minutes express and around 45 on the non express trains. If you work out in the east like I do it will take about 30mins form Hoppers Crossing to Flinders then connect with another train (Frankston line for me) another 30 minutes on the train then a 10min bus ride and a 5 minute walk. If all goes well an hour and fifteen. Needless to say it does not always go well and if you miss one connection it has a knock-on effect and it has taken me more than 2 hours to get home.

Hope tis answers some questions.

Cheers,

Travis

• 2 months later...

Hi All you Point Cook-ians :whome:

I've just taken a look at the area and Point Cook and Sanctuary Lakes look awesome.

A couple of questions though...

-Are then decent schools in the area? My toddler is only 16 months, but i'm thinking long-term.

-Also, are there big shopping centres nearby...I live to shop and if there are no shopping centres, it will make me uber depressed! I'm serious!

It looks so nice and family oriented, is it?

Any advice on the area etc would be much appreciated!

Hi Michelle

Point Cook FANTASTIC. It's a small school and there is a lot of attention given to the kids. The teachers are amazing with the kids and really take pride in what they do.

Shopping centres... you'll be very disappointed all over unless you go to the big malls like Chadstone or Highpoint. The Aussies like strip malls (flat, ground level shops next to each other) and it took me a long time to get used to it. The shopping malls I mentioned are more like the ones we're used to and have great shops. You have to try the Lindt shop in Chadstone when you get here!! It's pure heaven.

I see my hubby (TBL) also posted about the geographics of Point Cook and travel into the City so you have another answer to your question about the West.

Cheers

Mel

• 2 months later...

Ok...I'm raising the point about kids again.

From what I've seen, there aren't many playgroups in Point Cook and those that there are are full. Am I wrong? I don't wan't us to move to an area where Michelle and Amy won't have much to do each day... I want them to get to know all the other families in the area and normally the best way is through playgroups.

Help?

-G

Oh, by the way, TBL is my husband's handle, I posted on his profile by accident but the kids are still up to swop! ;)

Hi, so how old are your three boys? Any of them in high school?

Archived