Few questions for a newbie to the big 'Move'.

Sage

Hi All,

I'm Sage and new to the forum.

Thank you for a great forum - I have spent many hours reading here! :blink:

My husband and I have recently decided to make the big move to Australia (considering Brisbane). We are waiting for the computer skill assessment to be completed and then we'll submit our main application.

We really hope it isn't going to take as long as some of them do ... :ilikeit:

A few random question - can anyone please shed some light?

1. Once we arrived in Oz, are there regulations and laws about buying a house i.e. do you have to get PR first or do you have to live in Oz for a few years before you can buy, or is it Ok to buy property soon after arriving?

2. Having mentioned Brisbane - we had a look on the web for suburbs, but not sure what they are like. We have lived in Cape Town for the past 3 years and we like the look of the leafy suburbs, like Tokai, Newlands and Constantia. Any suggestions on suburbs which have loads of trees etc.? (Close and Not so close to the city)

3. Once we have applied, do you have any general idea of how long it usually takes for the request for medicals and police clearance is made?

4. We are both in the IT job market - what is the IT market like at the moment?

Sorry, these questions are so varied and on different topics, but at this stage, there are plenty of questions.

Look forward to your responses!

Sage ;)

Hi there

As far as buying a house goes I think if you have a deposit and jobs or are buying straight up you won't have any problems. If you are on a 457 you would need special approval.

As far as jobs go I don't know about Brissie but Sydney is booming and I know there are tons of jobs going begging for the right people.

My brother applied for PR in March got request for Police Clearance and Medicals June and had his visa August. Police clearance can take 6 weeks so I would preempt the request if you are keen to get moving. Also book your medical in advance they can be busy too and send your IELTs up front then you should have no probs.

Good Luck

In 1974, the Whitlam Labor gov't introduced the "Foreign Investment Review Board" to monitor all foreign investment in Australia to ascertain if it was in the country's interest, or not.

This still applies.

If you only have temporary residence, you must get approval to buy land in Australia from the F.I.R.B.

This doesn't apply for permanent residents in Australia.

The other "carrot" to obtaining PR status is that you are entitled to all the benefits normally available to Australian residents, one of them being a $7,000 (R40,000) tax-free grant for buying your first house in Australia.

. . . not to be sniffed at in buying a house!

www.firsthome.gov.au

Edited by Bob

Hi Sage,

Welcome to the forum!

If you only have temporary residence, you must get approval to buy land in Australia from the F.I.R.B.

You can click here for a link for the Foreing Investment Review Board. Most of my questions were anwered on the FAQ section.

Good luck!

Lovies, Pippa! X