New Years Eve at the Harbour bridge

Bloubulletjie

Good day to all

When still in RSA , I just loved to watch the fireworks at the Sydney harbour bridge, my highlight of the new year. After 3 years in South Australia - countryside I am finally planning a trip to the bridge for December. What a shock - 31 December - the hotel rooms at the bridge are $ 1700 for 3 nights :lol:

I really don't want to miss it because off the prize tag - I am not used to busses or trams - when I get accommodation outside of Sydney, can I drive my car to get close to the bridge and park it there? Got young kids and do not want to walk to far. Has anyone got a better suggestion for me? Where is the best spot to stand and watch the fireworks?

Would like to hear from you...

Lieze

Good day to all

When still in RSA , I just loved to watch the fireworks at the Sydney harbour bridge, my highlight of the new year. After 3 years in South Australia - countryside I am finally planning a trip to the bridge for December. What a shock - 31 December - the hotel rooms at the bridge are $ 1700 for 3 nights :thumbdown:

I really don't want to miss it because off the prize tag - I am not used to busses or trams - when I get accommodation outside of Sydney, can I drive my car to get close to the bridge and park it there? Got young kids and do not want to walk to far. Has anyone got a better suggestion for me? Where is the best spot to stand and watch the fireworks?

Would like to hear from you...

Lieze

Parking in the Sydney CBD is frightfully expensive. Why don't you park in Manly and then rent mountain bikes from Manly Bike Tours? You can take them on the ferry across to Circular Quay and then spend the day around the cafes, Opera House and Botanical Gardens. You can even ride your bikes across the bridge (West to East), but you'll have to walk them back coming the other way (East to West). You can lock them at the South Pylon and take in the stunning views from high up. There's even an educational video shown in the viewing room in the Pylon, which shows the making of the Harbour Bridge.

If you're really feeling adventurous (and wealthy) you can always do the bridge walk, but be prepared to pay upwards of $200 per person! :blink:

The bikes are a fantastic idea. Our girls (9 and 11) loved every minute of riding the streets (pavements) of Sydney and also around Manly. You won't be sorry!

This is what we did last year: Drive to Mosman and park free in the street, and walk down Bradleys Head Road to the tip where there is a big grassy area and also a small beach with a great uninterrupted view of the bridge and all the goings on. This is completely free to sit here. Bring your picnic, towels, swimmers. There were loads of fantastic boats in the water and people swimming in the swimming pool like sea. We turned up at about 3pm, got a good spot on the beach, swam and ate/drank till the sun went down. There are fireworks at 9pm and 12. Very family friendly, no drunks, just friendly people having a good time. We left after late fireworks and the traffic was a bit busy, you could wait till it calms down a bit. Below is the area I'm talking about, we sat on the west side of the point so we could see the bridge.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=...=14&iwloc=A

We will be in Lane Cove at the time. What are our options for seeing the fireworks?

There is no ways you will be able to drive your car anywhere near the city or the bridge - they close off all the roads - its a nightmare getting anywhere near the harbour on new years eve. Your best bet would be to stay outside of Sydney (preferrably near the train line) and then catch the train into Circular Quay - you walk out of the station and straight onto the waterway. There will be thousands and thousands of people so if you have small children I would suggest you strap them to your back LOL.. just kidding.. but seriously, its very busy down there.

Its something everyone has to do once, but I can guarantee you, once you have done it once, you will NEVER do it again!! The fireworks are spectacular, but getting home and wading through the crowds is crazy stuff!

Lots of the surrounding bays have New Years eve parties, in fact you can search for New Years Eve Sydney and print out a map which shows exactly where the bridge is visible from (all surrounding areas). They also have barges on the bays that have their own fireworks display and these are just as stunning - so you get to see both. However, once again, be prepared to wait for transport... taxis are very few and far between - it took us 4 hours to get home last year from Vaucluse! :D

Thank you Pygmalion and Rozellen for your input.

Pygmalion - you said that you guys used bicycles. I love the Idea - because our daughter and son is 11 and 8. Last December we did the Melbourne fireworks and walking was a bit difficult because off all the people. Taking the bicycles - would we be pushing most of the time coming back because off the crowds? When we lock them up at the South Pylon , is this close to the Opera house and will they lock up till after 12 at night? The South Pylon, is this a shop or just a outside space?

Rozellen - I love your idea too. It is usually a long wait for the kiddies and the swimming makes a lot off sense keeping them busy till 12. You said it is free for sitting there - Do you have to pay at the bridge side?

My kids wants to go to Dream world in Queensland - is there something similar in New South Whales?

With the kids in mind - What is the must do's for us in the NSW area?

Have any of you been to the Blue Mountains? I am planning a trip there before we enter Sydney. Any hints ? Places to see and do on the way to Sydney ?

Loved your ideas - thank you! :D , but can I milk some more - please! :blush: (Miskien n foto of 2)

Rozellen did you take any photos from where you were sitting?

Last question - which area are the best to book for accommodation? closest to all the must see and do's in Sydney? I know my time is running out.

I value your input -

Lieze

Wow Coyote, waiting 4 hours - and if I remember right you have a little one. How did you manage?

It is like you said - you must do it ones! I know the kids will curse me after this - they have seen fireworks before and felt they don't need to see it again , but it is just something I have to do for myself - This is why I need to take them somewhere nice (like a dream world) to make up for - the x-mass present rapped specially for me, by myself :D

thank you for the train advise - will we also be waiting a long time to board the train after the festivity?

Maybe I have to spend extra dollars and get n place closer to have peace of mind , I have waited 3 years for this - 4 hours, sjoe!!!

Lieze

Any Pick n Pay or RSA shop in Sydney, want to stock up with goodies like Fritos chips before we head back to the Riverland.

Hi, here are some pictures from last year/early 2009, public transport the way to go, Kiribili / Blues point is very popular as well but packed from early. This is all taken from the rocks area, we took own drinks/snacks/water as the bars are packed and very expensive. As for accomodation there are many options backpackers / guesthouses, unfortunately you will pay December prices unless u can stay with friends.

post-10491-1256599239.jpg

post-10491-1256599248.jpg

post-10491-1256599293.jpg

post-10491-1256599302.jpg

post-10491-1256599441.jpg

jo1 , that is a stunning picture of the Blue Mountains - Where did you take it from?

(Accommodation expensive) - Yes I am going to - hoes - to see the fireworks this Year, no family Down Under.

Thank you for the photos.

Try Novotel Darling Harbour for accommodation - Darling Harbour really the BEST spot to stay for all of this and you need NO CAR - have stayed there twice and went all over - have not rented a car.

Get the "what's on in Sydney" (for the great discount vouchers) check out www.whats-on-in-sydney.com.au (really all you need for a shortish trip)

Take the kids to the Powerhouse Museum (not expensive, but great - my 7 year love it)

Dont like giving my secrets away, but.........

The reason we go here is that going into the city is not for the faint hearted (plus I am short!) and things are soooo crowded and almost too close for you to appreciate. By going to Ashton Park you can drive there from the Northern Beaches and the Hills and all over, but not go near the city and its CLOSED ROADS etc. I looked on googlemaps and it is about 3km from the bridge, but from across the water, so nothing in your way. It is free to sit anywhere and to park. Go on this satellite map above, zoom in till you see the long building at the fork of Bradleys Head Road and Athol Wharf Rd (where it says Ashton Park in green), it has a large grassy area in front (brown on this picture! was green in Dec). It is surrounded by nature reserve, so it is bushy. From the grassy area we walked a few meters to the narrow sandy beach and camped out for the day. As you see the Bradleys Head Rd goes further from the grassy area to the actual point of the peninsula, we did not go all the way there and therefore cant tell you what its like, probably a bit far with kiddies. We took amazing pictures but cant find them now.

Check out this place in Lane Cove for accommodation. They have family cabins with all mod cons, for a week over New Years for $930 for a family of 4. Nice place and a good base for exploring the city (10km) and around.

http://www.lcrtp.com.au/

PS. there is a SA shop in Lane Cove called Springbok Delights for all your SA needs.

HouseInoz, will definitely take the kids there - sounds great! What about Luna-park - is that nice too?

Rozellem, thank you for the Secret - You can't stop now - remember life is all about sharing, unless my mum told me wrong....Anyway - you need to share it with me, because one day you might want to visit the Riverland , Flinders , Ayers rock or Kangaroo Island - and then I will have to share all my secrets of these lovely places with you 2. Anything else you want to share? :blush:

About the place over in Lane Cove - you did not mention the name of the place - is this the Lane Cove River Tourist Park? If it is - its all booked out. :D

Your Idea outside of the City sounds perfect - I just had a e-mail from a letting company and they have got a 1 bedroom apartment for us for $ 150 / night in Sydney North - Berry street, just off the highway, close to the harbour bridge, have to take it for 5 nights. We won't be able to see any lights from the flat.

I agree I don't want to stay in the City but this sounds really tempting - and not to far from all the action - have a security garage as well - what do all off you think about staying here for 5 days?

How do you pay toll fees on the highways over there - any toll gates? :blink:

Thank you...All

Lieze

You can buy your toll passes online through the RTA website, its a visitors pass or something like that, just enter the dates you think you will be travelling through any major toll road and once you hit $10 worth they automatically deduct it from your credit/debit card. We did this when my inlaws were here, as we knew we would be going through toll roads consistently, you can get the toll pass for a maximum of a month I think. It costs $1.50 to set up the account initially.

You should look at taking the kids to Jambaroo, its supposedly like a water park/theme park -I havent been there myself yet, but I believe its fantastic. A bit of a drive though, so just look it up online first.

Luna Park is right under the bridge, so if you thinking of going there for New Years, you better get your tickets now - they could possibly be sold out already, but worth a try. Only thing is, because its so close, the effects of the fireworks may not be that spectacular - fireworks are always better from far - my thoughts anyway.

But im pretty sure the kids would have a ball there - fun fair all night - what more could they ask for! That way you all get to enjoy yourselves.

One more thing - you can buy Fritos and Ghost Pops and just about any SA chips from Franklins - most of them stock a variety of South African products. I have just been to the local one here now and bought a few things like Mayonnaise (Crosse & Blackwell) and some ghost pops and fizzers etc... they have quite a good selection and are relatively cheap too. But we all know that we would pay anything for our SA products in those times of need!!

Coyote, what is the Franklins ? Is that like a Coles or a Woolies ? Can you please give me the address of the Franklins that you visited or will all the shops stock fritos?

I have looked at the Jambaroo park for this kids , and I think on our way back to SA , this would be an amazing place to visit for a day - thank you for that.

I did not know that Luna Park can be sold out days before - I thought you buy tickets at the gates - thank you, that would have been a big disappointment coming to closed gates with 2 banana-smiling faces.

What is the price for a ferry trip - or does it vary where you want to go? Can the cars also use the ferry?

Thanxs for all the help ;)

Lieze

CTfamily, the site is a wonderfull tool - thanxs for the post.

Lieze

I generally go to the Franklins in Eastgardens (which is a Westfields Mall) - its in Pagewood - here is the address:

Westfield Eastgardens, 152, Bunnerong, Rd, Pagewood, NSW

Here is the link:

http://westfield.com.au/eastgardens/

Franklins is very much like a Coles, just a bit smaller.

You can get pricing on the ferries here:

http://www.sydneyferries.info/tickets-fares.htm

And No, you cant take your car on the ferry unfortunately - its just a passenger transporter. But dont forget ALL public transport is free on New Years Eve. You will need to check what time the ferries stop and start running again though.

Coyote, the links will help me allot - thank you!

Have you got a link off the area-road they close off 31 December 2009? I can get a apartment in Neutral bay - very close - but I don't think I will be able to drive at all to the best spot for the fireworks that night - and the nice spot is a bit far. To get out the 1 st January might also be a problem. At this point my eyes are burning , from staring at the box too long - could not believe I would find a place but now I feel like I am back to square 1. It feels like I should do the blue Mountains - and explore Sydney another time with the family - when it will not be so busy - and do the fireworks on its own as well. I just know I have to decide quickly! What to do? I also wondered if December is the best time to visit Sydney - what is your weather like this time?

Lieze

Sorry, I dont have any links to help with road closures yet, Im sure they will advertise it closer to the time though. They also only start closing off the roads in the later part of the afternoon I think, so as long as you get to where you want to go early, you will be able to drive there, just be prepared to only get out after the roads reopen and bare in mind the hectic traffic as well and lack of parking spaces. I think they reopen the roads in the city after 2 or 3am but the outerskirts are opened up much earlier.

If you are coming to Sydney in December, then you might as well make it worth while and do the sight seeing all at once. The Blue Mountains is only about 90 minutes drive and that can be done in a day. We have been twice already just for the day and that was with seeing the outskirts too.

I have only been here for 1 year, so I can only speak for last years December and it was magnificent. The weather was hot and sunny everyday. I am so looking forward to this summer.

To be completely honest with you, no matter what time of year you come and visit, you will always encounter lots of tourists at the tourist destinations.

Sydney is a great city with lots to offer and see - you will love it here im sure.

Coyote, because off you I am sitting in front off the box again, I cannot believe it. I think you are right - Sydney is a amazing city and will always be full off people. Only 1 or 2 days at the mountains - more time to visit Sydney - <_< I will do my homework better this time -

Lieze

I just want to say thank you to all in Sydney that helped me. I have found a place in Kurraba Road , Neutral Bay - close to the harbour bridge. Wish you all happy holidays - I am going to see the Fireworks live this time - :rolleyes:

See Ya

Lieze

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just discovered this thread and wanted to say thanks to rozellem for sharing this info with the forum. We were looking for something like this and this sounds great - we're definitely gonna go there for NYE!!

Anyone fancy meeting up?

:ilikeit:

This is what we did last year: Drive to Mosman and park free in the street, and walk down Bradleys Head Road to the tip where there is a big grassy area and also a small beach with a great uninterrupted view of the bridge and all the goings on. This is completely free to sit here. Bring your picnic, towels, swimmers. There were loads of fantastic boats in the water and people swimming in the swimming pool like sea. We turned up at about 3pm, got a good spot on the beach, swam and ate/drank till the sun went down. There are fireworks at 9pm and 12. Very family friendly, no drunks, just friendly people having a good time. We left after late fireworks and the traffic was a bit busy, you could wait till it calms down a bit. Below is the area I'm talking about, we sat on the west side of the point so we could see the bridge.

Archived