IOM

mircri22

:ilikeit: Did anyboby have bad service from IOM??

Well,I phoned last week,spoke to Deeksha,apparently she doesn't do the Oz bookings anymore and she was going to send me a list with the details requested for the bookings and forward me the other operator's details.Tumi by the way.

She e-mailed me without Tumi's details,then appologies.Then I send off the fax with our visa's and the quote requierments and have not HEARD from them since.Tumi is NOT in the office and does not return calls or e-mail!

Frustaiting!!!And the cherry on top;my own travel agent that I have been using for the past 15 years doesn't get back to me either for the past 2 weeks after an e-mail and numeros phone calls/messages left....Is this terrible service or am I overreacting?

I want to book for February,to Perth.any advise who I can use and/or good prices or specials?

Anybody???

Thanks a mill.

:ilikeit: Did anyboby have bad service from IOM??

Well,I phoned last week,spoke to Deeksha,apparently she doesn't do the Oz bookings anymore and she was going to send me a list with the details requested for the bookings and forward me the other operator's details.Tumi by the way.

She e-mailed me without Tumi's details,then appologies.Then I send off the fax with our visa's and the quote requierments and have not HEARD from them since.Tumi is NOT in the office and does not return calls or e-mail!

Frustaiting!!!And the cherry on top;my own travel agent that I have been using for the past 15 years doesn't get back to me either for the past 2 weeks after an e-mail and numeros phone calls/messages left....Is this terrible service or am I overreacting?

I want to book for February,to Perth.any advise who I can use and/or good prices or specials?

Anybody???

Thanks a mill.

Hi there,

You should email them - always have something in "black and white" so-to-speak. They state that they have a 24 hour turnaround time and believe me they will get back to you after 24 hours when you email them. Also, ALWAYS ALWAYS copy both of them (Deeksha and Tumi) in the email as sometimes Tumi is physically not at the office and (it seems like) that's about the only time when Deeksha will handle her workload.

Their emaill addresses are:

trabothata@iom.int

dbhoola@iom.int

If however you are totally gatvol of IOM, Cathay Pacific also has special deals for people immigrating. Check this link http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_ZA/offerspromotions/promosummary and click on "Immigrating to Australia or New Zealand" at the bottom of the page. Just remember that you will most probably have to fly via Hong Kong.

Good luck.

Tumi was on sick leave last week..... I know, because I had to book 2 urgent tickets!

I can only speak great of them, and they have saved us heaps of money so far. I've booked 2 one-way tickets from Jo'burg to Sydney (direct flight) with 40kg for R6 500 each flying on 1 November for my daughter and her hubby..... I had to change the date of the tickets to the Sunday due to the Currie Cup final :wacko:

So, even if you feel frustrated with their not-so-quick-service, at the end of the day they can save you a lot of money :ilikeit:

I'm curious about something - maybe travel agents can give their input about it - I wonder if you don't get cheaper tickets closer to the time you are want to fly..... We bought by husband's immigration ticket from IOM 2 weeks before he flew, the same now with my daughter's tickets, and it was much cheaper than the advertised price. And a few months back when I went to Sydney, I bought a return ticket for under R9 000 (with Qantas) less than a week before I flew....Just curious about it!

We received bad service from IOM, Deeksha specifically.

If I put the bad service aside, then only this incident will stay with me forever.

We had to change our booking from Melbourne to Brisbane - ie Jhb - Sydney - Melbourne should have been changed to Jhb - Sydney - Brisbane. Deeksha sent me an email to confirm that the change had been made and that there were no fees involved. We were suspicious and phoned her back to confirm the booking and whether there was any fees involved. She assured us that the bookings were correct and that we absolutely do not need to pay any further fees.

The flight to Sydney went well, but when we tried to book in our luggage, we were told to go to the next counter which will take us to Melbourne. My husband showed them the email on his laptop, but they refused to book us onto the Brisbane flight. We had to go to the client service desk and they confirmed that the booking was for Melbourne. They changed it to Brisbane and we had to pay $30 per person for that. It's not about the money, it's about the fact that the destinations hadn't been changed and we were assured it was. So, instead of arriving in Brisbane @ 18:00, we arrived at 23:30... with 2 kids aged 2 & 4.

The prices for IOM's one way flights are really good, we looked around and this was the cheapest by far. We also did not bring a container and really needed the 40kg baggage alowance per person - which only IOM could give us at that stage.

I had the same bad service as well and found Deeksha extremely rude.

I then did all my bookings via Rennies Travel in Meyersdal Alberton, I landed up paying an extra R200 for both mine and my daughter's tickets, but the service was outstanding and I never had to stress about a thing. I didn't need the extra stress along with all the goodbye's at the time.

Good Luck, and see you here next year.

Cheers

Kathy

i also found iom an absolute waste of time, they got my route all wrong espicially after i sent them faxes and emails with the wrong route, they just ignored me that i eventually got a flight from flight centre fying singapore which didnt give me the 40 but i did manage an extra 5 for each of us flying, oh well better than nothing right.

After a bit of hounding, Deeksha came through for us today! Interesting to note that the IOM rate is not seasonal - only fluctuates with exchange rate and airport taxes. The only :( part is the disproportionately steep rate for a Durban to JHB leg. We aim to fly 18 December, and have been quoted R5800 per adult/ R4600 per child for JHB-Perth, but a staggering R1200/R900 for Durbs-JHB!!! Eish!!! I wonder if the domestic flight includes a surcharge for excess baggage to accommodate the 40kg? If I try to book the same flight myself, it's only R800 and something ... Anyway, we are grateful for such good rates on the long haul flight, especially in peak season.

Can't quite believe it's finally happening for us :)

PS: Anyone in JHB want to buy our trusty Hilux so we can drive there instead?

We were booked to fly from Durban- JHB-Sydney-Brisbane in June 2008 but all flights were cancelled in Durban that day we were to fly due to an incident with a BA plane. We were frantic, we were going to miss the JHB-Sydney flight due to the closure. My wife got ahold of Deeksha while we were at the airport and Deeksha took care of everything, rescheduled our flights for the next day. She really came through for us that day. She was great.

Michael

Hi guys,

I phoned today again and got thru to Deeksha and she appologised profundly and promised to e-mail the quote in 30 minute.She actually did e-mail me soon after and the quote came to R.5800 to Perth for February.

Now we sitting and wondering if we should book now for Feb or wait till Jan??

What if the fuel goes up,or charges....WHAT IF'S?Don't know.

Thanks for your reply's everybody!

Cieers

Hi mircri22

If I were you, I would have booked the tickets now.... That price is VERY GOOD! We've paid last year for my husband R6800 to Perth in December on short notice. And that was by far the best price available then. Seems to me flight tickets are quite cheap now, so rather make use of it!

After a bit of hounding, Deeksha came through for us today! Interesting to note that the IOM rate is not seasonal - only fluctuates with exchange rate and airport taxes. The only :censored: part is the disproportionately steep rate for a Durban to JHB leg. We aim to fly 18 December, and have been quoted R5800 per adult/ R4600 per child for JHB-Perth, but a staggering R1200/R900 for Durbs-JHB!!! Eish!!! I wonder if the domestic flight includes a surcharge for excess baggage to accommodate the 40kg? If I try to book the same flight myself, it's only R800 and something ... Anyway, we are grateful for such good rates on the long haul flight, especially in peak season.

Can't quite believe it's finally happening for us :rolleyes:

PS: Anyone in JHB want to buy our trusty Hilux so we can drive there instead?

Hey Patty

I am flying the same route as you but on the 15th December!

I also thought the R1,200 was steep for DBN - JHB, but I think its worth it for the 40kg allowance. My husband flew out on the 1st of August and he used his voyager miles to buy the DBN-JHB ticket. However that only allowed him 20Kgs luggage. He had to get the tickets linked in DBN and he didnt have a problem upgrading the baggage allowance, but it was a bit stressful at the time not knowing and having to jump between the Voyager queue and the check in counter. I told him I would rather pay the extra for my ticket and be assured of no stress - its stressfull enough coping with everything else that is happening! :)

Good luck for your flight - think about me three days before.... :)

Still bad service from IOM...eventually got the quote after 2 weeks,paid for the tickets on Sunday and now Deeksha is also out of the office....ggrrr.

So I phoned to check when Am I getting the e-tickets,spoke to Gloria,but I am still waiting..no tickets yet!

They're prices are cheaper than anywhere else,but the service is unaccepable.

Good news that tickets are booked and WE GOING TO PERTH! :(

Brilliant Service From IOM - Deeksah

We had what I can only describe as exceptional service from IOM, dealing mainly with Deeksha. I really don't think that any travel agent can compete with IOM prices.

From my own experience and speaking with friends who travel frequently - no matter which travel agent you deal with, there are sometimes glitches and yes they are very frustrating.

I certainly don't think that paying a whole lot more thru another agent will mean you are 100% guaranteed all going to plan.

Archived