Candida may bring on a Gluten intolerance

sonnetjie

Very interesting article http://www.denvernaturopathic.com/news/celiac.html they mention Candida may bring on a Gluten intolerance. Candida contain the same protein sequence as wheat gluten and may trigger or stimulate Celiac Disease.

Dr. Nieuwenhuizen, from the research group TNO Nutrition and Food Research, published a paper in the June, 2003, Lancet. He links celiac disease with Candida albicans. Dr. Nieuwenhuizen, knowing the actual sequence of proteins which trigger celiac disease from the published work of other scientists, had searched the databases available to him through TNO to see if the same sequence existed in other places. It turns out the identical sequence of proteins occur in the cell walls of Candida albicans. [15]

These Candida gluten-like proteins turn out to be the yeast's "hypha-specific surface protein" nicknamed Hwp1. This is the yeast's version of Velcro and allows it to attach and hang onto the endomysium in the wall of the intestine. It is also targeted by transglutaminase, the enzyme which acts on the gluten protein and serves as a target for immune antibodies. Candida species which don't have this Hwp1 protein can't attach themselves to the digestive tract. [16]

If Candida can trigger the same chemical and immunological reactions as wheat gluten do we can imagine a number of interesting implications.

First, in people with celiac disease, symptoms usually get better rapidly when they eliminate gluten from their diet. This isn't always the case. Even without gluten some people continue to have symptoms. They may have intestinal Candidiasis. The Candida in their gut may be acting like gluten and continues triggering symptoms.

Second, an acute Candida infection may trigger the onset of celiac disease. Even if the Candida is treated and eliminated, the person could be left with a permanent sensitivity to wheat gluten. Candida infections occur frequently with antibiotic usage. In people genetically susceptible to celiac, extra caution should be exercised when using antibiotics to prevent Candida overgrowth.

Third, if wheat can cause neurological damage as in gluten ataxia, it is reasonable to assume that Candida could also do so by the same process. Reports of Candida infections causing neurological symptoms are not uncommon; now we have a possible explanation.

Fourth, if only a small portion of the people with gluten ataxia have gastrointestinal symptoms despite their severe damage elsewhere in their bodies, it is reasonable to assume that Candida could stimulate significant problems while producing slight or no digestive symptoms

I'm a bit sensitive to gluten, but have been taking probiotics daily for a while now and that seems to have done the trick. It's much better.

Interesting article, thanks Sonnetjie!

I'm a bit sensitive to gluten, but have been taking probiotics daily for a while now and that seems to have done the trick. It's much better.

Interesting article, thanks Sonnetjie!

Michele You possibly may have a leaky gut. See link http://mindd.org/s/archives.php/92-FAQ.html#leaky_gut Candida often contributes to it. If it not treated properly it could lead to food intolerances. See link for further explination.

I hope not! :unsure:

Will have to have it checked out, luckily I'm planning a full check up before we leave.

Thanks Sonnetjie!

Michelle R

Good luck with cheking it out. The x-ray department can do some ..... with you and the stuff you have to drink is YUUUUUUK!

Hmmm, this isn't sounding particularly pleasant...perhaps I can just stop eating wheat? :)

Archived