Any advice?

Pretorius

On arrival in Sydney on 20 Aug we noticed one of our checked in bags did not arrive!

I immediatly notified Qantas and lodged the usual documents, and heard nothing.

When I followed up with a "few" phonecalls the Qantas lady mentioned that a bag with contents that I described has been found, in Cape Town!

Qantas has asked for this bag to be sent here 4 or 5 times but get no response, I tried to phone SAA (on advice from Qantas) in Cape Town but the idiots don't listen and don't care.

I would much rather have my property back than get a few dollars back from Qantas. I have the bags reference number but don't know who to talk to.

Any ideas?

I would certainly take it up with Qantas again.

IF they cannott assist you, well then all that remains is to get your payout of $20.00 per kilo of checked bagage and the difference is claimed from your travel insurance, if you took any out.

Short of a family member / friend physically going to Cape Town airport lost and found and get your bagage rerouted, there is not much else yu can do.

Good luck with the recovery of your agage

I'm sorry - but I see this as Qantas passing the buck. They provided a service and you paid for it. They should not leave it up to you to get someone in Capetown to send it, even if they have tried. Customer service is not only applicable when it is easy and convenient. Surely there is a Qantas representative at the Capetown Airport?

I phoned ACSA and received a number for Qantas in Cape Town, it just keeps on ringing, 021 936 2202.

I received an e mail from Qantas:

"Please contact this company Menzies Aviation they handle our lost baggage queries.

The telephone numbers are 011 390-8200 and press option 3."

I spent 1/2 hour on my mobile phone explaining eveything to "Johannes" describing the bag and contents, he promissed to phone me back, but guess what, he didn't...

FYI - when you arrive in a country and your bag is lost you are normally allowed to claim for first-need items (basic clothing, toiletries etc). It is an amount equivalent to USD64 per day and you normally have to provide slips. Airlines don't usually tell you this for obvious "cost-containment" reasons.

PM your file reference number and I will see what I can find out. I still have a few mates working at SAA/Menzies (who do the handling for Qantas). Perhaps they can chase it up and get the bag sent sooner rather than later!

Happyness is... seeing your bag again after two months! :blink:

Thanks to everyone for all of you for your help and support, I think my wife may have had something to do with the strange disapearance of my bag, she looked much less happy to see some old favourite peices of clothing ;) she even went as far as stating that she does not know "who would want the contents of the bag", the jury will disregard the last statement!

:blink: Glad you found your bag. It's the principle ... your stuff's your stuff!

Quantas lost my husbands duffel bag as well - it looked like a mummy and because of its odd shape and weight we had to leave it someplace other than the usual bagage. Come to think of it, eish maybe they thought there was a dead person in there. We realised it was lost with our stop-over in Perth (for a couple of days), reported it and they were very helpful and quick to trace it - still in Jhb, and they had it delivered at our hotel in about three days ... we were actually hoping for a longer delay and a delivery to Melbourne where we were headed because we were soooooo overweight!

Great news, especially after 2 months! :blink:

Know how your wife feels, I plan to have some of hubby's t-shirts go missing... ;)

Archived