Anyone in HR?

qfinger

Hi,

Anyone in HR that came across and work in HR here? I'm looking for pointers on what to do to get my expereince and qualifications updated so that it is more acceptable for HR positions in Aus?

Thanks

Hi,

Start here:

www.ahri.com.au

In terms of General Aus HR you will need to read up on:

1. The Fair Work Act.

2. National Employment Standards.

3. OHS - OHS is MUCH more important in Aus than in SA...

Which field of HR are you in?

Hi,

Start here:

www.ahri.com.au

In terms of General Aus HR you will need to read up on:

1. The Fair Work Act.

2. National Employment Standards.

3. OHS - OHS is MUCH more important in Aus than in SA...

Which field of HR are you in?

Hi there,

Many thanks for your reply. I am a member of the AHRI (which is at least a start!). I have 16 years' experience in generalits and strategic HR in especially the financial sector.

Are you working in HR at the moment, and if so, in which field? I have found that the recruiters are very quick to dismiss my application due to my lack of experience in the Australian market as well as the fact that I have not worked with the relevant legislation yet. Have you also found this and how do I get around this? Have you completed any Aus-specific courses that you can recommend and that would typically be advantageous in seeking HR employment in Aus?

Many thanks

Hi there,

I’m not in HR, but I dabbled in the idea of making a career change last year, so did quite a bit of research. In the end I decided against it when the GFC hit (a few reasons) but I did find out a bit in my travels.

I spoke to a few HR managers and very much got the impression that it’s a networking field – most (decent) jobs are found through networking and contacts that you know. It does seemthat it’s hard to get a break without Australian experience, but if you’re prepared to start anywhere to get a foot in the door so that you can make contacts, you’ll soon be able to crack a decent role. Australia is a very good place to be for HR professionals apparently.

I found HR Buzz to be a good discussion forum for HR related issues and tips. http://www.hrbuzz.com.au

I also used a good job alert tool where you can set your preferences and have HR jobs emailed to you - “Jobs in HR†- http://www.jobsinhr.com.au – I think it’s affiliated with HR Buzz somehow.

Hope this helps a bit.

Are you working in HR at the moment, and if so, in which field? I have found that the recruiters are very quick to dismiss my application due to my lack of experience in the Australian market as well as the fact that I have not worked with the relevant legislation yet. Have you also found this and how do I get around this? Have you completed any Aus-specific courses that you can recommend and that would typically be advantageous in seeking HR employment in Aus?

Many thanks

Any Organisational Development, HRD, or HR Generalist position would suit me...

I am also fighting the same battle, I get shortlisted and then I am candidate nr 2 due to lack of Aus experience. Funny thing is that 0% of Aus HR Managers have experience with The Fair Work Act as it will only be implemented from 1 Jan 2010! The laws also change more frequently with changes in government...

I will keep on trying and trying, the other frustration is not getting a foot in the door, even with a junior position, as I have heard that I am over qualified many times. It is a bit of a catch 22...

Hopefully next week will be better.

Hey Pretorius, stop playing on the internet and go to the beach, NOW!

:ilikeit:

Archived