South Sydney

diner

Hi there

Altho' we have not yet gotten to the point of applying for a PR visa I am trying to get as much info as I can about Aus and esp Sydney. We're thinking of Sydney both for employment reasons and because we have family there already. While doing research about renting etc I have come to the conclusion that South Sydney (Sutherlandshire) may be both affordable and a pleasant area to live in. [We are looking to live near public transport so the Hills area is pretty much out for us and Northern Sydney is seriously expensive]

Anyway, to get back to my point....when I mentioned Sutherlandshire to my MIL she was horrified (this opinion is from feed back from her daughter as my MIL does not live in Sydney!] So what is so bad about South Sydney? I know the Western and some of the South Western suburbs have "high" crime levels and low income families but Sutherlandshire area is not there. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

South Sydney especially Sutherland Shire is absolutely stunning - we have lived here now for nearly 7 months and there is no ways I am moving away from this area anytime soon - not until we move to Brisbane anyway (whenever that will be). We have 2 daughters, a 2 year old and a 13 year old. My 13 year old walks to the beach with her friends often on their own. There is so much to do here and its by far cheaper than the Northern suburbs. We have a natural reserve down the road - whale watching and bush walks etc.. Huge sand dunes (also protected), beautiful beaches, divine pubs (he he), and then of course lots of cafes and restaurants. A huge Westfield shopping centre and plenty of boutiques. You never have to leave the Shire for anything, its all in close proximity.

Definately stay away from the West - Liverpool, Bankstown, etc not cool!!

Thats my opinion anyway, and trust me, we looked long and hard before we moved here... and we definately checked out plenty of areas too... We are 25km from the airport and 30km from the city... We have 2 x train stations within walking distance from our house as well. Not too sure about the busses, cant say I have ever caught the bus from here. I usually drive closer to the city and park my car at the station and then hop on a train to circular quay!!

Nothing wrong with this area at all.

• 1 month later...

Hi diner

There is nothing wrong with the Sutherland Shire, nice beaches,good schools, 2 hospitals,huge Westfields shopping centre, near the Airport & nice homes (not the big concrete houses that all look the same as in the housing estated in the Hills with only a mtr between your neighbour house and yours.) can you tell I don't like living in a box?

We have been in this area for the last 15yrs and very happy, now we living on acreage just 15 min from Penrith, it takes 45/1hr mins to Central station. And belive it or not, there are some lovely places and homes etc this side of Sydney too.

I think maybe your information is a little misguided ....

Hi diner,

I live in Barden Ridge Sutherland and we love the south and we are very close to Cornulla beach. Lots of shopping centres, parks and national park. Excellent shire to live in.

Diveup

Thank you for your replies, as I am not yet in Sydney I can only go on hearsay. I am always trying to add to my mental image of the areas so the extra is info is helpful :ilikeit:

Also look at www.visittheshire.com.au

Seems like a GREAT place to visit whilst on holiday too, and probably not that overly expensive as in Sydney??

Have to say that everything that I have seen on the net about Sutherlandshire looks good, from rental prices to views! It is always good to get some first hand opinions tho'.....Also discovered my SIL's aversion to the area...her nasty (and I mean it!) MIL lives in the area!....always likely to give one a slightly different perspective of the region! :wub:

• 3 weeks later...
Hi diner,

I live in Barden Ridge Sutherland and we love the south and we are very close to Cornulla beach. Lots of shopping centres, parks and national park. Excellent shire to live in.

Diveup

Hi Diveup

I also live in Barden Ridge and have been in Oz now for 2 years. Would like to meet, if u keen ?

Take care

Charmaine

Archived