Are you healthier in Aus compared to when you were in RSA?

Jordy

compared to when we were in RSA........  

44 members have voted

1. 1. How do rate your health (in terms of frequency of getting sick) in Aus compared to when you were in the old country?

• We are definitely healthier and dont get sick as often as we did
    • We get sick about the same amount of time
    • We get sick more often in Australia than we did in South Africa

My family and myself are definitely healthier now than when we were in South Africa. We get the flu/colds far less and when we do get sick, it is for a shorter period of time and less intense. In fact this past winter we only got the flu once each. This compared to life in Johannesburg when the entire winter was a cycle of getting sick-doctor-antibiotics-sick-doctor-antibiotics.

How about you and your family? Has you "sickness level" decreased or stayed the same? I am thinking of the flu/colds/sniffles/coughs etc

My family and myself are definitely healthier now than when we were in South Africa. We get the flu/colds far less and when we do get sick, it is for a shorter period of time and less intense. In fact this past winter we only got the flu once each. This compared to life in Johannesburg when the entire winter was a cycle of getting sick-doctor-antibiotics-sick-doctor-antibiotics.

How about you and your family? Has you "sickness level" decreased or stayed the same? I am thinking of the flu/colds/sniffles/coughs etc

My family is also alot healthier since we have been living in Perth, I put it down to less stress especially for my hubby who was often complaining of chest pains, stress caused from traffic, safety issues etc. which definitely plays a huge part in your health, and the doctors here are not so quick to hand out antibiotics, obvioulsy if it is an infection they would prescribe the antibiotic for you.

Cheers

Noele

My first winter in Perth almost over and no sickies- YAY!!!

I every previous winter for as long as I can remember I suffered through a winter without at least three rounds of antibiotics.

I still don't eat as well as I should :hug: , but I am way, way more active than I was in SA. I think that that has a lot to do with it.

I still don't eat as well as I should :hug:

I wish I had that problem.... :hug:

Hmm, we were a lot healthier in Aus, until we put our little one in childcare... he brings home all sorts of bugs to share with the whole family. :blush:

We have been lucky, the kids have had the odd runny nose, but nothing more serious than that- my kids haven't even been to the doctor yet. How amazing is that? I remember each of them going through at least 3 courses of antibiotics each winter. And none of us suffer from hayfever or allergies anymore.

I had sinus problems every winter and spring season in SA. Also helped on by living close to mines and factories but nevertheless I don't know what sinus is anymore and haven't had any since arriving almost 2 years ago. The same goes for the rest of my family around normal allergies etc.

If hairgrowth can be classified as a health issue I just have to mention that, due to the gene factor in my husband's family, he was slowly starting to turn bald over the last couple of year in South Africa. Since we arrived in Australia last year, I've actually seen that his hair is slowly starting to grow back!! :blush: How odd is that!

We've all got a bit of hayfever (mainly sneezing) at the moment and we aren't normally suffers of hayfever. The pollen count or something must be high in Perth at the moment? I'm the only one that suffers in the summer when certain strong easterlies blow (not every time). Then my ears and eyes get itchy and I get a tickly throat.

My allergies to have got worse in Perth. I get huge swellings when mozzies bite me and my nickel allergy worsened - and get a rash more quicker now if nickel comes in contact with my skin. I think that has to do with the heavy metals in the environment and in the water - my body has hit a bit of an overload.

We have been lucky, the kids have had the odd runny nose, but nothing more serious than that- my kids haven't even been to the doctor yet. How amazing is that? I remember each of them going through at least 3 courses of antibiotics each winter. And none of us suffer from hayfever or allergies anymore.

First winter here we were less sick, but the second one has been worse. Only hubby was so sick that he had to go to the Dr, he had bronchitis, but all 3 of us had been sick with a cold at least 4 times this year. It also takes a long time to clear up. In my case it goes into my chest straight away, it is only the last time that I had sinusitis with it. It is totally different to how we experienced it in SA.

We moved to Melbourne last year and our first winter no one of the family got ill. But this year goodness! we were all sick from the beginning till the end!

But this is just getting used to the new environment really.

We are have more access to go bike riding now and I have even taken up running.

So all in all we are defiantly more healthy!

Nats

Hi all you health nuts

We arrived in October last year and I don't know if it was the change in weather (dry highveld to tropical humidity) or just plain stress but I broke out in acne and spots :blush: - worse than during my teenage years.

L

I had the longest documented case of flu... about 37 years! It's gone since our arrival in Adelaide.

The only thing that is making me sick here are all the people running around, cycling, swimming... I need a rest after typing that :lol:

People have a much healthier lifestyle here :blush:

I cant say the same for our family unfortunately. I dont think we have ever been as sick as we have been since arriving in Aus. In fact, 1 day after our arrival, our little one ended up getting roseola (baby measels). I got some virus that attacked my thyroid, made me seriously ill, and then we have all had the dreaded flu as well, and not just once either.

In SA our family never got sick - any of us. I guess it could just be our bodies adapting and obviously not immune to all the different viruses and bacteria in Aus.

And because our little one is in full time daycare, she will naturally catch whats going around at the time. And then the older one will bring home all the viruses going around her school at the time, so its an endless battle - but we will get there!!

Dont want to tempt fate but, no hay fever so far in Aus. In my experience most doctors in RSA want to put you and your kids on medication very quickly......

I wish I had that problem.... :thumbdown:

:):D:lol: I didn't mean I eat too little (I wish!!!).

I meant I eat unhealthily - as in too much junk food (like Tim Tams and other Aussie delectables!!!)

Archived