Free H1N1 Virus vaccine

Jordy

Will you get the free H1N1 Vaccine in Aus?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Will you get the free H1N1 Vaccine in Aus?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Undecided?

There seems to be a debate whether one should get the free vaccine being rolled out by the Aus government. So I am curious as to what you are going to do.

For info read : http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/08/20/2662321.htm

The country's top infectious diseases body has written to the Government to warn the swine flu vaccine is being distributed too hastily, with too many risks for the public.

The Australasian Society for Infectious Diseases says the multi-dose vials which the vaccine will be distributed in have been shown to transmit infection, spread HIV and hepatitis, and even cause death.

But the infectious diseases doctors say the swine flu threat has now passed and there is no need for urgent mass vaccination.

"To rush to a massive vaccination using multi-dose vials that have been associated with problems in the past, seems too hasty and perhaps not measured enough for our society," said Dr Tom Gottlieb, the president of the Australasian Society for Infectious Diseases.

The doctors are worried about the method that will be used to deliver the swine flu vaccine when the national immunisation program starts in the next few weeks.

The plan is to use multi-dose vials of the vaccine, which means a health worker will use needles to take more than one dose out of each vial.

But Dr Gottlieb says there is no real need to rush.

He says there have been fewer deaths linked to swine flu than initially feared, and the epidemic has now subsided.

Well I am pregnant and dont feel secure enough about the vaccine to take it.

Although I am an asthma sufferer, and am on the priority candidates for the vaccine, I think I would rather take my chances and not have it. Too new for my liking.

Not for me thanks, I'll take my chances, anyway winter is now over, so hopefully we'll be okay until next winter. Then who knows what flu virus it will be!!

In the USA the virus appears to be getting worse and especially virulent in the summer mnths.I am in the hospital sector and I will be taking the vaccine!I previously worked as a rep for a vaccine company and I think this also is a factor in my decision.I know the stats and the risks. Must admit I am not familiar with the company distributing this vaccine would have preferred one from the company I used to work for but Oz didn't get from them,the US and France did.

I voted undecided because of the procedure whereby I have to make an appintment with the doctor, then wait an hour in her waiting room because she is running late, then have a 2 minute conversation and be sent to the nurse's station in the next room for the injection, and then get billed the $17 shortfall on Medicare for the "appointment" I just had. The only thing free about it is the vaccine.

What I don't understand is that it is safe for pregnant women to have the vaccine, but children under 10 are not allowed to? Does the vaccine not affect the unborn baby :blink:

but children under 10 are not allowed to? :blink:

I did not know this. Do you know the link to this info please?

I voted undecided because of the procedure whereby I have to make an appintment with the doctor, then wait an hour in her waiting room because she is running late, then have a 2 minute conversation and be sent to the nurse's station in the next room for the injection, and then get billed the $17 shortfall on Medicare for the "appointment" I just had. The only thing free about it is the vaccine.

Depending on where you work, a lot of empoyers will arrange to have a mobile clinic of sorts come to your work-place and offer it to staff who want it. This may be an option if your work place offers it.

I'm still note sure on what to do. I would ordinarily say that I won't go for it, but we have a 1 year old and I'd hate for him to H1N1 because we didn't vaccinate ourselves, or him. I'd also hate him to get sick because we DID vaccinate ourselves or him.

My 2c worth - bearing in mind I am still in SA.

My personal opinion on any new vaccine is to wait, who knows what's going to happen.

I would wait for more follow up data regarding others who have had it before considering any

jabs, I prefer the "tried and tested"

And the conspiricy theory or hoax email say this vaccine is to depopulate the world. The vaccine will spread the virus and it will mutate. How could they develope a vaccine so quickly and could not get a vaccine for eg HIV? What happened to the SARS virus which was in China - just dissapeared? Few years ago after I got a flu shot, I got the worst flu I ever had.

If they were offering to chop off right legs for free, would you do it??

Wont take it because Ive been exposed to it and lived.

It just takes a while to clear up, like a month or so, as have most of the family.

The doctor told me the flu has the worst effect on unborn children, and people with other chronic conditions.

For this reason pregnant woman should consider it.

The jab is too late IMHO.

The doc also confirmed it kills no more than any other flu

Also next year there will be another new and the year after. Each vaccine only knocks out a few

What I don't understand is that it is safe for pregnant women to have the vaccine, but children under 10 are not allowed to? Does the vaccine not affect the unborn baby :ilikeit:

By my understanding, the recommendation on who should take it - namely pregnant ladies and the elderly is not based on whether it is safe for healthy adults and children to take it or not. It is based on their projections on how to best curb the spread. Before the vaccine was even made, I was chatting to my doctor about it and she said that the models predicted that the spread of the virus would be best curbed if pregnant ladies, the elderly and those in poor health were the first to have the vaccine when it became available.

The article doesn't actually say anything about whether it is safe for children under the age of 10 or not. All it says is that pregnant ladies, the elderly, the ill at health etc should have it done. Actually it is safe for children under the age of 10, BUT, they will need two doses. You can get more people immune faster if you concentrate on over 10 year olds, which is what they are doing.

Archived