New Requirements for Citizenship

Tazz

The new proposal by the Howard Government re the Test for Citizenship. Who Does it effect? Does it effect the people who are currently applying for their PR Visas or does it apply to those who have their PR visa but have not have citizenship yet or both?

Edited by Tazz

Tazz

as far as I know...and I could be wrong but hope not :P . If you receive your PR AFTER they make the changes, it is applicable to you. Those that have PR or will recieve PR before they make the changes, only have to wait 2 years for citizenship. :)

If anybody can confirm this, it would be great.

Lindy-Lee

;)

The new proposal by the Howard Government re the Test for Citizenship. Who Does it effect? Does it effect the people who are currently applying for their PR Visas or does it apply to those who have their PR visa but have not have citizenship yet or both?

Hi Tazz

You should be able to find the answer to your question on this British Expat link and link 2.

It contains a lot of discussion on this topic. Pay special attention to the revised expected implementation date.

Edited by JJV

Thank you JJV

Looks like we are a okay and does not apply to us.

Does that mean after only two years, you can stick corks in your hat?

I wouldn't worry too much about this. Canada requires the same thing. I'll share my Canadian citizenship test experience with you because I think the Aussie one is probably going to be along the same lines. (I live in Aus now.)

They gave us a booklet about Canada, which you could read in 30 minutes or so and the test was based on that. The test was 20 multiple choice questions. and the answers were mostly very obvious. There were 3 questions which you had to get right or you failed regardless of your other marks. These were based on your rights as a citizen. If you failed it was because you were either really stupid or didnt bother to open the booklet.

I think such a test is OK. They werent trying to catch us out. They were just trying to ensure that people who wanted to become citizens demonstrated some attempt to become acquainted with the basics of Canadian life and culture and could communicate in English or French. A few people did actually fail it.

If the Aussie model is similar then its a good thing. One thing the Canadians could change is the oath of citizenship. You swear alleigance to the Queen. There is no mention of Canada in it. Bizarre!

If there is a test, so what, one of the best feelings ever is when you get that citiizenship. You know you are safe, secure and your kids have a guarranteed future, and they cant take it away from you (unless you lied on your application). Then you get your passport..... no more visas. You just arrive anywhere and they let you in. I am sure the Aussie passport brings with it the same perks.

yes Australian citizenship is similar to Canadian.

However I think it's a bit early to be speculating about the citizenship test. It hasn't got through Parliament yet and may not. It's really a bit of puffery from little johnny coz he's behind in the polls. There is an election next year and he's starting to worry.

If it does come in it will probably be quite easy for south africans to pass. The main problem will be English-oh and you'll have to learn about mateship! :unsure:

tony

www.jklawyers.com.au

main difference in actually holding an Australian passport, compared to holding a Canadian (or New Zealand) passport is that you find you can walk on water.

. . . . but then I could be biased!