DIAC Announces New Processing Priorities for GSM and Business Visas - Effective 23 September 2009

Susan Wareham McGrath

Jeepers thanks guys for the heads up - I was also thinking IELTS was 2 years!! Ai such a gambling game this whole process is! :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I submitted the e-visa application, I was asked whether I have written the IETLS within the past 2 years. Why would they ask that if its only valid for 1 year? Just wondering, but even if its valid for only 1 year, do you have to rewrite or will they accept if it was valid at time of application? Does anyone know?

Hi there, just wanted to check if I have received my pre grant letter for my 176 visa on 08/09/09, do these changes affect my application. My only requirement on the pre grant letter was that I need to leave Australia before the visa is granted. Please if anyone knows the answer as I am about to go crazy.

Thanks

Help!

Sorry I am confused as to how this will affect us?

What was the priority previously?

I hope to lodge this week, for a 175 and I am on the CSL, how long can I expect to wait?

I understand similar applications are processing in about 7 months at the moment?

Hi there, just wanted to check if I have received my pre grant letter for my 176 visa on 08/09/09, do these changes affect my application. My only requirement on the pre grant letter was that I need to leave Australia before the visa is granted. Please if anyone knows the answer as I am about to go crazy.

Thanks

To the best of my knowledge, DIAC has already decided to grant your visa but can only do so once you leave the country. The sooner you leave, the sooner you'll have your visa. They give you 28 days time in which to send them the itinerary of your planned trip - as per your pre-grant letter. As SOON as you are out of the country, they can (and probably will in your case) grant the visa. Check online when you are abroad. The consulate in Auckland (or wherever you are going) will be notified that your visa is granted, and they will print your visa labels for you which will be placed in your passports. Take the pre-grant letter with you to the consulate.

Good luck...

Help!

Sorry I am confused as to how this will affect us?

What was the priority previously?

I hope to lodge this week, for a 175 and I am on the CSL, how long can I expect to wait?

I understand similar applications are processing in about 7 months at the moment?

Don't worry, if you are on the CSL you are on the fast track (relatively speaking).

According to new processing:

"If your nominated occupation is on the Critical Skills List (CSL) and you have applied or will apply for an onshore or offshore GSM visa before the end of 2009, it is estimated that your visa application will be finalised within 12 months from your lodgement date."

That is if they don't change the priorities again. But currently you're looking at 12 months max if you are on the CSL.

But currently you're looking at 12 months max if you are on the CSL.

I am so hoping it'll be less than 12 months...my nerves are shot with these changes...the sooner we have the visa the better. My heart goes out to the people who aren't on the CSL...it's tough to stay positive...but hopefully it'll take quicker than they're saying. Don't give up on your Aus dream!

My agent sent through this regarding 176 family sponsored visas:

"The new processing priority has drastically affected tens of thousands of visa applications including your subclass 176 family-sponsored.

In the former processing order, 176 family sponsored was 5th in the order. Now it is 7th. Moreover, although this is an issue which the migration industry is requesting clarification, it appears that occupations that are not in the CSL (Critical Skills List) may not be processed until around 36 months from today."

Definitely NOT great news for us!!! But I will be hopeful that processing procedures will change for our benefit!!! Or at least try to be...

To the best of my knowledge, DIAC has already decided to grant your visa but can only do so once you leave the country. The sooner you leave, the sooner you'll have your visa. They give you 28 days time in which to send them the itinerary of your planned trip - as per your pre-grant letter. As SOON as you are out of the country, they can (and probably will in your case) grant the visa. Check online when you are abroad. The consulate in Auckland (or wherever you are going) will be notified that your visa is granted, and they will print your visa labels for you which will be placed in your passports. Take the pre-grant letter with you to the consulate.

Good luck...

Your visa has already been issued by DIAC. They cannot retract it or add any conditions to it. We received our pre-grant letter (we were in SA when we received it) and all we had to do was to have the visa put in our passports, and of course we need to enter Aus before the date stipulated, to validate the visa.

Your visa has already been issued by DIAC. They cannot retract it or add any conditions to it. We received our pre-grant letter (we were in SA when we received it) and all we had to do was to have the visa put in our passports, and of course we need to enter Aus before the date stipulated, to validate the visa.

I think you're confused between a grant letter and a pre-grant letter. A pre-grant letter basically means that DIAC is satisfied that you meet all of the criteria, but the visa itself hasn't been issued yet, and it will only be issued once you leave Australia.

Fortunately I don't have to redo ACS Skills assessment or the IELTS, but both my Kiddo's passports expire early 2012!

Thank You Chris Evans! :thumbdown:

Hello,

We have applied for a 176, our state sponsorship was approved (South Australia) We have a case officer, submitted medicals and now just waiting for my uk police clearance.

I e-mailed SA and have attached their response to the changes, hope it helps:

In a practical sense, the changes announced by the DIAC on 23/09/09 will mean that all visa applications which relate to applications on the Crticial Skills List will received prioritiy. The changes of 23/09/09 have been implemented to better address the needs of industry by targeting skills in need across certain industry sectors within Australia.

With reference to your specific situation, I note that Immigration SA approved you state sponsorship for the nominated occupation of Electrician (First Class). Your nominated occupation is not on the current Critical Skills List which has been devised by the DIAC. This will mean that your visa application will not be processed with the same speed as those applicants who have occupations on the Critical Skills List. The DIAC has released a processing time of approximately 2012 for visa applications of your nature. However, I believe that the 2012 timeframe published by DIAC is likely the worst case scenario. In any event, may I suggest you visit the following site for further information about how your visa application may be affected by the priority processing changes http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-ski...-processing.pdf

With reference to medicals and police clearances - these are valid for 12 months from the time they have been issued. All medicals and police clearances must be valid at the time your visa application is finalised. This is a 'time of decision' criteria relating to your visa application. If your medicals and/or police clearance(s) have expired when your visa application is nearing finalisation, unfortunately they will need to updated. In any event, your case officer will provide you with further direction in this regard.

The above information is a general outline of how the processing changes are likely to affect visa applications of your nature which are currently on foot. For specific details about the likely timeframe within which your visa application will be finalised, I suggest you contact your assigned case officer from DIAC.

I am hopeful the above has clarified matters.

Hi everyone.

We are also in the "wait a little 2012" boat. Our application was submitted Aug. 2008, got CO August 2009, everything (incl. medicals) has been cleared (22 Sept)... and now the news. :ilikeit:

At least they could have completed the applications that have been passed on to case officers....

So only thing left for us to do until 2012 is to lodge lots of complaints.... together with all the other thousands who have been affected.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-is...make-stand.html

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-is...ke-stand-3.html

Let em have it! :lol:

Hi Alexander

I am with you on the CO's at least finishing the applications they have on hand.

Well Kirsy, if only it were that simple. I have a CO and submitted meds and PCC and proof of work experience, but to no avail, those docs are now history and in one years time the medds/PCC will be obsolete. Its unfair,but thats life i guess.

Hi Everyone

I have heard that Aus might be coming up for elections and that is part of the rationale behind the continuous changes that are being made to the priority lists?

What is the term of office, not sure if Rudd is set to win again!!

Do you think this could be valid??

There is apparently a conference this week to discuss - let's hope this drives positive changes!!!!!

Please let me know what you think??

Regards

Apollo

Well Kirsy, if only it were that simple. I have a CO and submitted meds and PCC and proof of work experience, but to no avail, those docs are now history and in one years time the medds/PCC will be obsolete. Its unfair,but thats life i guess.

PKN if you look at my Post Here.........., Agent Susan Wareham McGrath says

The states meanwhile are lobbying the federal govt furiously to have state sponsorship restored to its processing priority, as the 23 September changes to prioiritise CSL before state sponsorship took the states by surprise.

So lets hope we get lucky.

Cramer, yes I can understand the states will be unhappy; their preferred skills migration program have effectively been given 3rd class status compared to ENS and CSL. So lets see what comes of that consultation.

Archived