Baggage wrapping

Heymanse

I think this topic might have been discussed before but I cannot seem to find any information on it. Anyone flew to SA that had their baggage wrapped at Sydney Airport or anywhere else in Sydney? We'll be going over in December and I am afraid that mine or one of my family members' bags might be targeted for last minute X-mas shopping while on the way to the carousel... :ph34r:

Nope, unfortunately Sydney Airport does not provide wrapping services.

I've heard that they do something called Smart Strapping at terminal 1, but I'm not sure how this works.

PS: Here you go, just googled it: http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/sacl/Secur...nformation.html

I've heard about the the strapping service, but isn't it just a simple strap that can easily be cut through by a knife? At least the baggage wrapping we used when we left SA has the advantage that it proves too much of a hassle to remove.

How sad that one has to think of possible "Christmas shopping" at the baggage control when you come home to visit

but hey it happens and can't blame you. Hope you come right with your Q

My wife flew to SA earlier this month with a suitcase packed with gifts for the family. She had hers wrapped at Perth airport and the same at OR Terrible when she came back. Luckily they didn’t target her suitcase but that of a co-passenger. Friends of ours went on a European holiday from SA and had their one suitcase wrapped and that’s the one they was targeted, so no guarantees but slightly more peace of mind.

I know a guy who had his suitcase wrapped in that plastic at ORT, when he got to Brissie - he almost missed his suitacse as the wrapping was removed - he however found some of his stuff missing, but the wrapping was neatly folded and packed in his suitcase - guess they don't want to leave any 'evidence' lying around :-(

I believe this is more likely to happen to people who check-in early, as this leaves the 'workers' more time to 'shop' before the luggage gets loaded onto the flight

Bastards !

I am going to carry very heavy on my backpack with gifts etc in December

Does anybody know dimensions/weigh allowed for hand luggage ?

7kg allowed for hand luggage - also thinking of putting as many items as I can and that is allowed in my hand luggage.

You can check the dimensions on the airline's website that you're using.

Just heard this weekend of someone who had their luggage wrapped in OR Tambo and when they arrived at their overseas destination, it was re-wrapped in a different wrapping! With items missing! The 2010 soccer is going to be a great shopping spree for certain individuals working at the airports. :holy:

Bastards !

I am going to carry very heavy on my backpack with gifts etc in December

It's 7kg but I usually stuff about 20 to 25kg in mine.

bwahahahaha

It's all in the face, just don't show that what is on your back weighs a ton.

It's all in the face, just don't show that what is on your back weighs a ton.

I'll try not to! :hug:

the wrapping was removed - he however found some of his stuff missing, but the wrapping was neatly folded and packed in his suitcase

Yip. Exactly the same thing happened to me when I went from Jhb to Atlanta. :hug: Had missing items twice before, so I thought the wrapping would help. I also now check my luggage in at the last minute. That way my luggage comes off first and I don't have to panic for too long.

I also now check my luggage in at the last minute. That way my luggage comes off first and I don't have to panic for too long.

That's something I should remember, thanks for giving us this tip KMG!

How sad that one has to think of possible "Christmas shopping" at the baggage control when you come home to visit

but hey it happens and can't blame you. Hope you come right with your Q

It is sad. One has to think of so many things when going back for a visit to SA. My head is spinning now already. I will be visiting in December. I do not really care too much about my Christmas shopping in the suitcases to be honest. If it is gone, well, then it is gone. :ilikeit:

My son will carry a backpack (with some of my stuff also) and I will just have my handbag (very large) Is it ok to carry a handbag? or is it not a good idea? If not, what options do I have? I do love my handbag, it reminds me of Merlin's bag in the Walt Disney movie The Sword in the Stone. All my stuff I need for the trip fits in that one handbag. If that bag is gone, I will be in the %^$#.

I know a guy who had his suitcase wrapped in that plastic at ORT, when he got to Brissie - he almost missed his suitacse as the wrapping was removed - he however found some of his stuff missing, but the wrapping was neatly folded and packed in his suitcase - guess they don't want to leave any 'evidence' lying around :-(

I believe this is more likely to happen to people who check-in early, as this leaves the 'workers' more time to 'shop' before the luggage gets loaded onto the flight

All my Swiss friends asked me to bring them back some rooibos tea from SA. It is quiet expensive here. Do you think the 'workers' at ORT like this tea? That is all I want to buy in SA to bring back with me. They can have my old clothes.. but please leave the tea. :ilikeit:

All my Swiss friends asked me to bring them back some rooibos tea from SA. It is quiet expensive here. Do you think the 'workers' at ORT like this tea? That is all I want to buy in SA to bring back with me. They can have my old clothes.. but please leave the tea. :ilikeit:

Will you be allowed to bring the tea into Australia?

All my Swiss friends asked me to bring them back some rooibos tea from SA. It is quiet expensive here. Do you think the 'workers' at ORT like this tea? That is all I want to buy in SA to bring back with me. They can have my old clothes.. but please leave the tea. :)

Will you be allowed to bring the tea into Australia?

I am not going to Australia (unfortunately). I live in Switzerland.

Archived