Arriving in ACT in Jan

IamInACT

Hi All,

I will hopefully be arriving Canberra in Jan, and I need advice on where to stay and what needs to be done....

I will arrive by myself and hopefully to Job.

Your help would be really appreciated.

Regards Terence.

Congrats on your visa!

The advice on where to stay is that long term or temporary accom?

You will need to open bank accounts, which you can do from SA.

Apply for medicare.

Apply for tax number from ATO

Do your license

Depending on what you are earning you may need to apply for private health insurance to avoid a penalty from the tax office. I would suggest you also sign up with liveincanberra.com.au , they offer assistance with house searching etc.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. Perhaps you can be a bit more specific in what advice you need.

Candice

Terrence,

PM me with your email detail and skype detail if you have, then we can communicate properly via email.

There is quite a large group of us here and people dont hesitate to help each other. If you make contact we will communicate on this side so many know and can help. We can assist with many of your arrangements and with advice from our experience.

PKriel is also landing in Jan (tentative) and you may want to get in touch. You may just be on the same flights. In any event always easier if you dont feel too lonely. I will most likely be picking them up with someone else to be able to handle the luggage.

On where to stay you will most likley get a good variety of responses with a range of costs. If you are coming alone it does simplify matters a little. Also remember the seasons are a little out of sync with SA. The school holiday here starts at Christmas and goes on till around the 27th Jan - peak rates.

There is quite a large group of us here and people dont hesitate to help each other.

do you know how many saffers there are currently in Canberra? Ballpark? I was under the impression its very few (according to the live-in-canberra team at their seminar last year) they said something like 30 families...

do you know how many saffers there are currently in Canberra? Ballpark? I was under the impression its very few (according to the live-in-canberra team at their seminar last year) they said something like 30 families...

Yeah and by the time I get to Canberra it will most probably be 200 families :lol:

Yeah and by the time I get to Canberra it will most probably be 200 families :lol:

Add me to that family list!

I probally know of 30 families, and there is no way I know every family SA family in Canberra. So i think there is probally quite a few more, I think quite a few families have moved or decided to move to Canberra in the past 6 months.

Candice

Yip

Add the Marais bunch in. We will be there in two weeks time for the finalisation of the schools and housing, through liveincanberra team. Our final flight, booked and paid is the 04th of Jan 2010.

Cant wait

Cheers

Hugo &bunch

Yip

Add the Marais bunch in. We will be there in two weeks time for the finalisation of the schools and housing, through liveincanberra team. Our final flight, booked and paid is the 04th of Jan 2010.

Cant wait

Cheers

Hugo &bunch

Looks like we are in for a busy month in Jan. Looking forward to seeing you guys.

Pine and Riana

Ons sal julle kom opsoek en koffie iewers drink. Stuur jou kontak nommer dan laat ons weet as ons daar is vir middagete of koffie iewers

Cheers

Hugo

Archived