Hi Everyone!

ShaunGibbs

Hi Everyone,

We are the Gibbs family currently living in Surrey, England. We applied for our 175 PR visa in June 2009. We are waiting for a CO and hopefully get our visa's at the end of the year.

We are only planning to move to Oz in Sept/Oct 2010.

Initally we thought we'd like to move to Perth, but now it seems Brisbane has caught our interest.

We used to live in Assagay (Upper Highway Area) in KZN. We really want a change after being in England for almost 9 years now. The drab winter weather here is depressing.

So I'll be hoping to get more infomation from a South African perspective as apposed to a British Expats forum which I also post on.

C ya!

Regards

Shaun

Hi Gibbs family!

Your 1st post! Welcome to the family.......hope your up and coming journey here to OZ goes smoothly

and yes, there are very clued up people on this forum who can help out where they can!!

GOOD LUCK with your process!!

Erica

Welcome Gibbs Family to the forum and as you are already riding the extreme roller coaster sure there

will be plenty of Q's and possibly answers to you can give other forumites.

Enjoy the ride and again WELCOME :ilikeit:

Welcome guys. I am sure you will love the SaAustralia forum.

Hi, Gibbs family ! Welcome to the forum ! We've found that the SA immigrants and the British immigrants have quite different take on things for the initial period in Oz at least, because of what you are used to where you come from. But enjoy 'our' take on things and hats off to you for being open enough to integrate a different perspective into your experience ! Hope you benefit and I think we can learn quite a lot from you too.

Welcome again !

Hi and welcome to the forum Gibbs family. Good luck with the visa process. Guess we all in the same boat!!!! :ilikeit:

Thanks for all the hearty Welcomes. No doubt we'll bump into each other in other threads from time to time. :ilikeit:

Welcome!! Where in Surrey do you live? We live in Guildford. Yes, the winters here in the UK are the pits, but we are still having lovely weather at the moment so now I'm pretending that winter is not happening soon!

We are still in the process of applying for ACT state sponsorship, but having second thoughts every second day as we are kind of happy here, except for the weather of course. But we've only been here 2 years, 9 months and 21 days (whose counting) so maybe it just gets to you more the longer you are here?

Anyway, good luck with your big move.

Welcome!! Where in Surrey do you live? We live in Guildford. Yes, the winters here in the UK are the pits, but we are still having lovely weather at the moment so now I'm pretending that winter is not happening soon!

We are still in the process of applying for ACT state sponsorship, but having second thoughts every second day as we are kind of happy here, except for the weather of course. But we've only been here 2 years, 9 months and 21 days (whose counting) so maybe it just gets to you more the longer you are here?

Anyway, good luck with your big move.

Hi Sibella,

We live in Fetcham - just outside Leatherhead. The UK has been good to us and we are very happy here, no major complaints. Probably itchy feet and the kids are nearly finished school.

Our son will have finished A levels next year and our daughter finished GCSEs. A good time to move. They are also very keen to move.

We also want warmer weather where we can live outdoors a lot more, like we did in SA.

Hi Shaun,

Welcome to this cyber family, If you need any info, advice or just chit chat, this is the one place where you will find almost any piece of info you require.

Hi Shaun & family

Welcome to the forum and good on you for (maybe) aiming to come to Brisbane.

Brilliant place to live and work.

All the best with your plans

Cheers

Hi Shaun and family, and welcome...

I'm also from KZN (Northern) and also spent 8 years in the UK (lived in Weybridge Surrey in 1998, my first year there, but the rest of the time in London).

Shout if you have any questions from an SA>UK>Aus perspective...

Cheers,

Hi Shaun

At least the licence comversion is very simple, they copy it and issue you a :ilikeit: QLD licence :ph34r:

Brisbane is great.

Traffic sytem is undergoing some serious upgrades to be mostly complete by 2011

No beaches worth speaking of near the river. Only good beaches are Redcliffe north and way south of the river

Hi Lee(?)

Yep, because we changed our SA licenses to UK ones, we can just swap them in OZ. I am also getting my 17 yr old one to do both his car & motorbike licenses here in England, so he can swap them in OZ as well.

It's hard to believe that SA can't be swapped in OZ. Silly really.

Cheers

Shaun

Welcome to the forum Shaun and family!

All the best with the visa and keep us updated with your journey!

It's hard to believe that SA can't be swapped in OZ. Silly really.

I dunno, when you see the difference in quality/security between the actual SA drivers license card and the Aus one, I’m not surprised they’re suspicious of SA drivers licenses. :ilikeit:

Welcome Gibbs family - from another ex Highway saffer !!

Im sure you will love wherever you decide to settle in Australia.

All the best with your plans,

I dunno, when you see the difference in quality/security between the actual SA drivers license card and the Aus one, I’m not surprised they’re suspicious of SA drivers licenses. :lol:

I agree. It just seems silly that genuine Saffers spend huge amounts of money getting their visas with legit documenst, police clearances etc... Why would they have a dodge SA drivers license? :hug:

Archived