Areas to stay in Sydney

Pieter en Lindie

Haai Almal,

At the moment we stay in Somerset West, Cape Town. We would like to know what areas are similar in atmosphere around Sydney. We would like an area close to the sea with good schools, that is not to far from CBD, but feels more "platteland". Is there anything like that there.

If you would be able to compare the Hills to a place in SA, what would it be. Does the Hills feel like city or is it a quiet area.

Thanx for the help

Lindie

Comparing to Somerset West, the Hills area remind me of the area (I can't remember the suburbs' name) when you drive from Checkers upwards to Hottentots Holland Hospital (the back-road). The Hills are a great area to stay. Kellyville reminds me more of Paradyskloof in Stellenbosch (fairly new suburb). Riekie lives in Baulkham Hills, would be a good idea if you can PM her about the schools. If you are going to work in Sydney CBD, you won't make a mistake to settle there (easy access to the Motorway). The Hills definitely doesn't feel like the city.

Renting a place close to the sea would cost you an arm and a leg. You can take a look at rental prices on www.realestate.com.au and www.domain.com.au to compare.

Madelein

Hi Lindie,

I've never been to Somerset West I'm afraid B) I'm a Gauteng gal through and through! But I've been in Sydney for a year now, so have some handle on some of the suburbs (I think!)

I live in the Hills (Cherrybrook) , and am very happy there. It's a very family oriented suburb, with wide streets, bicycle lanes for the kids, lots of parks, sports facilities, and good schools. Although not far from the CBD (about 30km's - 45-60 minutes on public transport), the Hills area is located in the North Western part of Sydney and therefore it's around 30-40 minutes to any of the beaches. If you are after suburbs that are closer to the beaches, then you might want to consider the area called Northern Beaches. Suburbs include Frenchs Forest, Brookvale and Belrose. If you use www.domain.com.au or www.realestate.com.au, and search for one of these, you can select for the search engine to inlcude surrounding suburbs, which will give you names of some of the others. The trip from the Northern Beaches area to the CBD is about 45 minutes.

My experience is that it's only really the inner city surburbs, like Surrey Hills, Darlinghurst etc that feel as though you are in the city. Most of the outlying suburbs have a definite 'suburban' feel, so I don't think you need to worry about feeling like you are living in a city.

Good luck!

Ajay

i just checked a couple of those areas on the estate site, and then had a look at the jobs site... and, er... *cough-cough*.... does not seem like the two will be meeting soon.... :)

Very few ppl live where they work - if that is any consolation...... Most ppl commute to the business areas from the suburbs..... Peak hour traffic is a nightmare, the closer you get to the city - therefor, a lot of ppl use public transport to get to work.