Kangaroo meat

Jenn

Hi,

Anybody tasted Kangaroo meat at restaurants or tried to cook/braai it yourself? How does it fair to other meat and please recommend which restaurants have it on their menu in Brisbane/Gold Coast.

Thanx

Jennifer

I can't comment on restaurant prepared kangaroo, but when i stayed with my boet, we braaied some roo meat and personally, the texture is very much the same as rump but tastes a bit like liver you know, a bit irony. That was my personal experience. It could be that we didn't prepare it correctly or something.

Roo meat needs to be seared. High heat cooked quickly. There is no fat. Best served with beetroot and a glass of red.

As Gravy said, it needs to be eaten underdone, otherwise it is tough. So for those who like their meat well done, don't even bother to try it.

Haven't given it a try, what I found interesting though is I can buy rump steak from the local butcher far cheaper than I have seen roo meat in the supermarkets. I really thought that it would be cheap...

I've tried it a few times, in a few different ways - like the others have said, the only way you can really get it tender is by searing it and serving it as close to rare as you can. It's not bad seared on a hot braai or cast iron plate on very high heat.

It's very similar to Ostrich meat. Although Ostrich fillet is probably more tender. I imagine that if you slow cooked it in a stew or potjie, you could get it tender again.

Personally the only reason I've been eating it is because it's cheap and healthy. Give me a T-Bone anyday. :lol:

I've only had it once at a "restaurant".... well, more of a pub really - at the Walkabout in London -it was pretty good, but I reckon they served me a rump, not a roo steak. :ilikeit:

My daughter had to make a traditional Australian recipe in Food Technology at school..... and she made Kangaroo mince. She has prepared it a few times afterwards for other South Africans. All of them were a bit wary of eating it at first, but once they tasted it, they realised it actually tastes the same as beef mince.... okay - there is a slight difference, but not too much.

Here is the recipe for Kangaroo mince:

http://www.aussiecooking.com.au/cook/recip...shroom%20sauce/

She obviously leaves out the brandy - because I don't think they would have allowed it at school :blink: and we don't have brandy in the house, so she always makes it without that.

On the same website there is also a recipe for Kangaroo steak - haven't tried it myself, but they give handy tips on how to prepare the steak.

http://www.aussiecooking.com.au/cook/recip...pepper%20steak/

I've recently discovered this way of braaing steaks - by first rubbing a bit of olive oil and spices on the steak beforehand. Mmmm..... it comes out quite nice!!!

As the others said, texture wise its very similar to beef but tougher so needs to be under-cooked. It has a bit more of a "wild" taste and distinct smell though. I actually think it would make good biltong, but haven't tried making yet :blink:

Thank you all for sharing your experience. Mrs Maritz beat me to it and already circulated nice recipes before I ask for them. Will give it a try. Yummy!

Jennifer

DELICIOUS, like they say, beefy with a very slight livery taste. Very lean, needs to be under done. In Woolies here you can get two kangaroo steaks for $5 or two free range skinless chicken breasts for $17. No sauce, do it just plain with salt/pepper.

I prefer the marinated version of Roo steaks, the Kebabs are also great, but must eat them medium to rare. I have had an Aussie friend do it in a Weber & that was also very good.

I buy the plain steak & make Biltong from it, my family prefer Roo biltong to Beef! I just let it dry for a few days longer than Beef.

Cheers

I buy the plain steak & make Biltong from it, my family prefer Roo biltong to Beef! I just let it dry for a few days longer than Beef.

That is interesting 'cos I've been wanting to try some roo biltong, but with the beef being so much cheaper at our butcher I haven't tried it yet!

• 3 months later...

Haven't had a chance to try it yet. Will do so once we get settled in Australia next month.

Jennifer

That is interesting 'cos I've been wanting to try some roo biltong, but with the beef being so much cheaper at our butcher I haven't tried it yet!

Yes Eva, I agree, the beef is very cheap......but I personally cannot get my head around eating roo, biltong or barbie :) !!!!!But am sure it

is very tasty.

Erica

Kangaroo steak for breakfast every morning, my dog loves it.

I had the best Kangeroo meat ever in Halls Gap, Victoria. It was reaaaaaalllllllllllyyyyyyyy excellent. It is good with either a plum or sweet marinade (port is also nice, if you do want to waste a good port) and it also goes well with pepper sauce. Best on the Barbie, very high temp, very quick, should not be overdone as it will be too dry.

I love skippy (AKA roo meat)!!! :thumbdown:

Skippy fillet is very similar to beef fillet, but has a slightly "wilder" taste. I would not liken it it liver at all - I detest liver and kidneys and cannot stomach them at all. :D

Its very low in fat and healthy too.

Roo meat needs to be seared. High heat cooked quickly. There is no fat. Best served with beetroot and a glass of red.

I partially agree with Gravy .... I would toss the Roo and just eat the beetroot and enjoy the red wine. :rolleyes:

Ausraven

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody can recommend a good restaurant in Sydney having kangaroo meat in their menu and taste yummy?

Hi all

Hubby tried it a couple of times, on the stove and "barbie". I only tasted it once, but sorry to say, it is not for me. I have never liked game or "wildsvleis" and never will, and unfortunately for me roo tastes more game than anything I have ever tried. We did buy roo biltong once in Perth but it was really a waste of money as it did not even looked like biltong. We will try to make our own some time but for now we are happy with our beef biltong.

Wilma

Archived