How do I get more points for residency

Boere

Hi all

We Immigrated here(New Zealand) from S.A. we only have Residency here.We want to Immigrate to Australia but I am 5 points short how do I get more points?

Chears

Sean

:ilikeit:

If you emigrate to a part of Australia that doesn't need so many points, that may be one way.

Regional areas throughout Australia are desperately short of workers in several skills, so the points aren't needed so much to get into those parts.

If you want to go to Melbourne or Sydney, which quite frankly already have loads and loads of people and housing costs a premium compared to other parts as a result, then you'll have to convince the Australian gov't that you are needed there . . . . . . and that takes points.

Another option is to become New Zealand citizens, allowing you to live and work in Australia without restriction.

Edited by Bob

If you emigrate to a part of Australia that doesn't need so many points, that may be one way.

Regional areas throughout Australia are desperately short of workers in several skills, so the points aren't needed so much to get into those parts.

If you want to go to Melbourne or Sydney, which quite frankly already have loads and loads of people and housing costs a premium compared to other parts as a result, then you'll have to convince the Australian gov't that you are needed there . . . . . . and that takes points.

Another option is to become New Zealand citizens, allowing you to live and work in Australia without restriction.

After getting Residency in New Zealand you have to stay 5 years before getting citizenshhip so that's not realy an option but a last resort.How do I know which areas need what points?

:ilikeit:

Get in touch with the Australian consulate in Auckland, or High Commission in Wellington, or simply log on to the Australian Immigration website.

This will give you all the info needed to assess how many points are needed to get one of the visas needed to get into Australia.

As you know, there are loads of different visas for this that and everything else. The trick is to get one that suits your particular circumstances, if possible.

The visas are granted mainly on a "points" basis.

There are visas which allow people to migrate to Australia if they're willing to work and live in one of the parts of Australia which are struggling to attract newcomers.

This is called a "regional" visa, since you are allowed to live only in one of the regions around Australia that are nominated. If you breach the conditions of this visa by shifting to Sydney or Melbourne, you could find the Australian gov't disallowing your visa and asking you to leave.

The whole purpose of a regional visa is to boost the population in areas where the demand for skills, etc. is not being met by Australians themselves.

If you are willing to live and work in one of the regions where the demand for certain skills is not being met by Australians, the Australian gov't won't ask for so many points to get into Australia to go there.

The demand changes from time to time, so you have to find out what points are needed to live in what region around Australia at this particular time.

What's wrong with N.Z that five years before citizenship isn't an option anyhow? Is the place driving you nuts that much?

Get in touch with the Australian consulate in Auckland, or High Commission in Wellington, or simply log on to the Australian Immigration website.

This will give you all the info needed to assess how many points are needed to get one of the visas needed to get into Australia.

As you know, there are loads of different visas for this that and everything else. The trick is to get one that suits your particular circumstances, if possible.

The visas are granted mainly on a "points" basis.

There are visas which allow people to migrate to Australia if they're willing to work and live in one of the parts of Australia which are struggling to attract newcomers.

This is called a "regional" visa, since you are allowed to live only in one of the regions around Australia that are nominated. If you breach the conditions of this visa by shifting to Sydney or Melbourne, you could find the Australian gov't disallowing your visa and asking you to leave.

The whole purpose of a regional visa is to boost the population in areas where the demand for skills, etc. is not being met by Australians themselves.

If you are willing to live and work in one of the regions where the demand for certain skills is not being met by Australians, the Australian gov't won't ask for so many points to get into Australia to go there.

The demand changes from time to time, so you have to find out what points are needed to live in what region around Australia at this particular time.

What's wrong with N.Z that five years before citizenship isn't an option anyhow? Is the place driving you nuts that much?

No the place is ok cold if I may complain.They can play rugby (bladdy bokke)been here 2 and a half years Australia is big and warm seems to offer more.At work there is no Super or medical.Another option is to move around New Zealand?I am just giving myself options.I can find a job but as soon as they(Aust) here I dont have residency they give me the skip.I have not found a sponsor yet.

If you've already lived in New Zealand for two and a half years, I'd be trotting along to the Immigration Dep't there and asking how soon it takes to naturalise you as a New Zealand citizen.

You might be surprised.

Not so long ago, it was only a two year wait . . . which you've already done . . . and the boys in Immigration NZ may let you do the ceremony straight away if they still allow those resident in N.Z., when the five year wait became legislation, to need only wait two years.

That would solve all your problems.

If you've already lived in New Zealand for two and a half years, I'd be trotting along to the Immigration Dep't there and asking how soon it takes to naturalise you as a New Zealand citizen.

You might be surprised.

We arrived in NZ in 1999 and I've always known the time for citizenship to be 3 years - different to Aus. I know there was talk recently in NZ to change it to 5 years, but I'm not sure the law has been passed yet. I suggest you find out from the Immigration Dept as Bob suggested, whether you qualify for citizenship within 3 years or not.

SAS

We arrived in NZ in 1999 and I've always known the time for citizenship to be 3 years - different to Aus. I know there was talk recently in NZ to change it to 5 years, but I'm not sure the law has been passed yet. I suggest you find out from the Immigration Dept as Bob suggested, whether you qualify for citizenship within 3 years or not.

SAS

Hi

Thanks for the info but the law did change and we gor residency after that so it's plan B.

Still working on plan B.

Cheers

:)

[Hope this will help...

General Requirements for a Grant of New Zealand Citizenship:

To be granted New Zealand citizenship you must meet the requirements of either the Citizenship Act 1977 or the Citizenship Act (Western Samoa) 1982. You may be eligible for grant of New Zealand citizenship if you:

1. Intend, if granted citizenship, to continue to reside in New Zealand.

2. Are able to understand and speak English.

3. Are of good character.

4. Understand the responsibilities and privileges of New Zealand citizenship.

5. Are a permanent resident of New Zealand; and

EITHER

You have received your permanent residence before 21 April 2005, and

Have been ordinarily resident in New Zealand for the last 3 years.

OR

You have received your permanent residence on or after 21 April 2005, and

Have had your New Zealand permanent residence for the last 5 years.

For further information see General Requirements for a Grant of New Zealand Citizenship.

http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/wpg_...and-Citizenship

[Hope this will help...

General Requirements for a Grant of New Zealand Citizenship:

To be granted New Zealand citizenship you must meet the requirements of either the Citizenship Act 1977 or the Citizenship Act (Western Samoa) 1982. You may be eligible for grant of New Zealand citizenship if you:

1. Intend, if granted citizenship, to continue to reside in New Zealand.

2. Are able to understand and speak English.

3. Are of good character.

4. Understand the responsibilities and privileges of New Zealand citizenship.

5. Are a permanent resident of New Zealand; and

EITHER

You have received your permanent residence before 21 April 2005, and

Have been ordinarily resident in New Zealand for the last 3 years.

OR You have received your permanent residence on or after 21 April 2005, and

Have had your New Zealand permanent residence for the last 5 years.

For further information see General Requirements for a Grant of New Zealand Citizenship.

http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/wpg_...and-Citizenship

We only got residency on the 17th March 2006 and have been here 2and ahalf years

so this one will be for us...........You have received your permanent residence on or after 21 April 2005, and

Have will have to have New Zealand permanent residence for the last 5 years.