Anyone live in Mawson lakes or Salisbury?

Odin

Hi guys, im new on here, been trolling a bit but now we can get serious as we have been assigned a case officer and the only document outstanding is our Police Certificate. We're doing a LSD trip to Adelaide in October and Mawson Lakes and Campbelltown looks cool- I know there are a few of you in Campbelltown but what about Mawson lakes ?

Cheers

Odin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Odin.

There are a few Saffers in Mawson Lakes, I work with one and know another family, they tell me there are more in the area. Mawson Lakes is a new-ish area but a bit removed from the city.I am not aware of any Saffers in Salisbury, well, perhaps one family on the edge Salisbury. I suggest drive in Salisbury and see for yourself, not the best area, but again, there are ok pockets. I must alos say, the definition of a good area differ from person to person, so rather see for yourself as I say. Salisbury is even further for the city that Mawson Lakes for information, some people need to be close to the city.

The best way to see areas is actually drive troupg in your trip. Campbelltown is ok in most part, again, drive through the entire area and see for yourself. There are also a few Saffers in the area Iam told, we know at least one family personally and have heard Afrikaans in shop there a fair few times to. Campbelltown is closer to the city, within 10 km roughly.

I will PM you, I am happy to catch up with you if you are here and have a chat and show you around if you like.

Mawson Lakes is a new-ish area but a bit removed from the city.

Hi Marius,

I don't suppose you'd be able to give me an estimate of how long you think it would take to drive from Mawson Lakes to the city in rush hour?

Hallo julle Pêre.

Ek bly in Salisbury. So 'n half uur uit die stad. Hang af van die verkeer. Soos Pretoria, Durban, Kaapstad. Maar julle wil nie hier kom bly nie.

Dit is nou te sê as julle snobs is.

Ons het ook moord,doodsslag en inbrake hier. Die verskil is dit gebeur so nou en dan en dan is die koerante vol daarvan. Ons WEET daarvan. SHARKS is nie baie welkom hier nie. BLOU BULLE wel. 'n Great Country and Suburbs to live in.

GOOGLE al twee voorstede en sien hoekom ons hier bly. O ja. Ons het ook Sudanese en ander Afrikane hier. Praat nie eers van die Asiërs, Engelse en Europiërs nie. Oor 'n 100 kulture en ons almal praat Ingels.

BLY EK IS HIER.

O JA. As iemand negetiewe kommentaar oor my tong innie kies antwoord het. Kry vir jou 'n vinger. Kies net watter een jy wil hê.

Hallo julle Pêre.

Ek bly in Salisbury. So 'n half uur uit die stad. Hang af van die verkeer. Soos Pretoria, Durban, Kaapstad. Maar julle wil nie hier kom bly nie.

Ons het ook moord,doodsslag en inbrake hier. Die verskil is dit gebeur so nou en dan en dan is die koerante vol daarvan. Ons WEET daarvan. SHARKS is nie baie welkom hier nie. BLOU BULLE wel. 'n Great Country and Suburbs to live in.

GOOGLE al twee voorstede en sien hoekom ons hier bly. O ja. Ons het ook Sudanese en ander Afrikane hier. Praat nie eers van die Asiërs, Engelse en Europiërs nie. Oor 'n 100 kulture en ons almal praat Ingels.

BLY EK IS HIER.

O JA. As iemand negetiewe kommentaar oor my tong innie kies antwoord het. Kry vir jou 'n vinger. Kies net watter een jy wil hê.

On behalf of the Sharks, we apologise for spanking you on your own turf this past weekend... :ilikeit:

O hel, ek met my groot bek. Maar, is die helfte vannie Blou Bulle nie nog in Niew Zealand nie? Dit is nou die helfte wat innie Bok span is.

O hel, ek met my groot bek. Maar, is die helfte vannie Blou Bulle nie nog in Niew Zealand nie? Dit is nou die helfte wat innie Bok span is.

Hulle is.... maar die helfde vannie Sharks is ook saam met hulle. Die Currie Cup gaan interesant lyk as hulle almal terug kom, maar ek dink net vir die Bulle en die Sharks. Cheetahs, Lions and WP only have a player each or something in the Bok team...

Oops, sorry, hijack - back to the topic.

Hallo julle Pêre.

BLY EK IS HIER.

Dit klink my jy is heel happy daar met so n goeie humorsin :wub: mooi so Jan Stoof- ek doen maar soveel navorsing op die internet as moontlik en sal dan orals rondjaag as ons volgende maand kom kuier en al die suburbs uitkyk. BLOU BULLE BO !

Hi Marius,

Thank you I don't suppose you'd be able to give me an estimate of how long you think it would take to drive from Mawson Lakes to the city in rush hour?

Mr HansaPlease :wub:

Ive read on the web that its 15 minutes to CBD by train from Mawson lakes- so i guess about 25 minutes drive? they make it sound quite easy to jump on the train @ Mawson lakes and shoot through to CBD. If thats true then i think it could be quite a cool spot to live. Close enough to the big city to take advantage of well, all the CBD advantages :blush-anim-cl: like the CENTRAL FOOD MARKET !!

They have an informative website www.mawsonlakes.com.au

I just see on GOOGLEMAP these rectangle saltpan looking areas to the west on the coast next to Mawson Lakes- anyone know what that is.

Hi Odin.

There are a few Saffers in Mawson Lakes, I work with one and know another family, they tell me there are more in the area. Mawson Lakes is a new-ish area but a bit removed from the city.I am not aware of any Saffers in Salisbury, well, perhaps one family on the edge Salisbury. I suggest drive in Salisbury and see for yourself, not the best area, but again, there are ok pockets. I must alos say, the definition of a good area differ from person to person, so rather see for yourself as I say. Salisbury is even further for the city that Mawson Lakes for information, some people need to be close to the city.

The best way to see areas is actually drive troupg in your trip. Campbelltown is ok in most part, again, drive through the entire area and see for yourself. There are also a few Saffers in the area Iam told, we know at least one family personally and have heard Afrikaans in shop there a fair few times to. Campbelltown is closer to the city, within 10 km roughly.

I will PM you, I am happy to catch up with you if you are here and have a chat and show you around if you like.

Thank you very much Marius, its been a long road to get to this point and the doubts whether ones doing the right thing doesnt stop does it? I should just make a point of reading the newspaper a few times every day here in SA and i should stay convinced that we're doing the right thing for the family. :wub:

THEY SWITCHED OFF THE POWER OF A BUNCH OF SCHOOLS IN PRETORIA YESTERDAY BECAUSE THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS HAVE NOT BEEN PAYING THE TSWHANE COUNCIL- THEY ARE IN ARREARS OF MILLIONS !

We are looking forward to our visit in October - it will be short, only 10 days so i want to do as much planning beforehand as possible.

We have opted to stay in apartments this time instead of hotels - would like to buy food at the local supermarkets, cook at the apartment, well, not all the time as my wife and I come from the hospitality background and appreciate good cuisine-

I will let everyone know how the accomodation was when we return- The one is called GREENWAYS APARTMENTS between the CBD and North Adelaide and comes complete with everything for only $99 and then im spoiling us a bit with a nicer apartment in North Adelaide.

I would like to check out the Adelaide Shore Resorts on West Beach on our visit as i think this could be a nice spot to stay for a week or two when we bring the children over next year.

We did a roadtrip last year from Sydney all the way up to Noosa north of Brisbane and fell in love with Australia. I think thats also whats been bugging me the last week. We saw the tropical warm East coast vibe but ended up receiving sposnorship from SOUTH AUSTRALIA so Adelaide was never really in my vision.

We live in Pretoria so the cold wet winters in Adelaide is a bit of a concern to us ??

Anyone else in Mawson Lakes- let us know how you are finding the area please? - If you have kids, what school do they go to ?

Thanks everyone, love this forum, will post information from my side as regularly as possible.

Cheers

Odin

Hallo julle Pêre.

BLY EK IS HIER.

Ek sien jys ook oorspronklik van Pretoria Jan- hoe het jy in die begin Adelaide se weer ondervind- is dit baie kouer en het die nat winters jou nie uitgefreak ?

I just see on GOOGLEMAP these rectangle saltpan looking areas to the west on the coast next to Mawson Lakes- anyone know what that is.

Regarding the saltpans, those might be wetlands - we drove past some on the way out of Adelaide. I had thought they were mine dumps like we have in Joburg, just smaller, then saw a sign saying "wetlands" - we had quite a laugh.

Thanks all for posting this - very interesting. The more information on suburbs, especially first hand experience, the better. :wub:

Hi Odin

So envious you're going to Adelaide for your LS trip (Look-See)!

"THEY SWITCHED OFF THE POWER OF A BUNCH OF SCHOOLS IN PRETORIA YESTERDAY BECAUSE THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS HAVE NOT BEEN PAYING THE TSWHANE COUNCIL- THEY ARE IN ARREARS OF MILLIONS !" ... and the Tshwane Council are in arrears of billions! - yet the Mayor quotes Thabo - "... there's no crisis!"

Most days we have our doubts, but we know in our hearts, it's the right thing to do.

Looking forward to your report back.

Ive read on the web that its 15 minutes to CBD by train from Mawson lakes- so i guess about 25 minutes drive? they make it sound quite easy to jump on the train @ Mawson lakes and shoot through to CBD. If thats true then i think it could be quite a cool spot to live. Close enough to the big city to take advantage of well, all the CBD advantages :ilikeit: like the CENTRAL FOOD MARKET !!

Thanks Odin.

I always take these websites with a pinch of salt, so if they say 15 minutes by train, I’ll add a few percent to that and make it 25 just in case. Spoke to somebody the other day who reckoned that Mawson Lakes to the city would be a 40 minute drive in rush hour. Still, that’s not bad to me – it takes me an hour and a half to get to work at the moment.

I went to the food market when we went to Adelaide in December. It's great! It's chockers on a Friday night after work when a lot of people do their fresh food shopping there. We bought evertything from yoghurt covered fruit to wild boar sausages.

Hallo julle Pêre.

BLY EK IS HIER.

Hi Jan,

Nee, ek sal nie vir my 'n vinger kies nie want jou possy is OK. Ek het mos getrek (ek was seker getrek!) en nou moet jy sien waar ek bly! BogAn-villa se moses! Bly lekker maar dis nie vir sissies nie, nou die aand het die hormoon-gepla-puisie-gevreetjie sommer 'n fabriek hier afgebrand. 'n Kilometer van my af! Dis net sulke mixed cultures hier ook en ek gryp nog na my handsak soms en loer oor my skouer. Maar ek is sommer simpel want die mense is so vriendelik hier en behulpsaam. Al wat hulle vra is dat jy jou gesig op 'n vriendelike plooi trek en dan kan jy met hulle toor.

Mens is nie status/klas bewus hier nie....Mawson Lakes en Kilburn, Hallet Cove en Elizabeth......dis alles net wat jy daarvan maak. My buurman kan maar groen ook wees, net solank ons in vrede kan saam lewe is alles bakgat met my.

Nou die aand hoor ek hier in die parkie reg oorkant my...."Hey Eenthony! Ma roep vir djou!" Nou ja, ek het sommer tuis gevoel, sommer lus gevoel om te gaan swing....want ek KAN!

Anyway, ek wil nie 'n storie skryf nie, wil net se dat alles hier A-OK is!!!! Njannies....

PS...ek weet nie hoe om te quote nie, so die boonste gedeelte is Jan se skrywe.

Hiers ek weer voor julle deur.

Hallo Antjie. Bly jy leef ok nog. Daar naby julle is my spesery en derm verskaffer. In Church street. Master Butchers. Vra net vir "Boelewos spices" Die pêre kan mos nie 'n rrrrrrrrrrrrrr seg nie. Noudat ons 'n klipgooi van mekaar af bly is dit tyd vir 'n braai sometime. Sal kontak maak.

Mawson Lakes is 'n bargain. As ek die LOTTO wen wil ek daar gaan bly. Jy loop te poot ooral waar jy wil wees. Jou kinders kan skool, dorp of Universiteit toe loop. Die trein stop by 'n moderne stasie wat jou in die middestad afgooi. Seker so 'n halfuur ok. Daar is treine wat dwarsdeur hol en min stop en met 'n krag in die stad kom. Daar is ok melktreine. As julle weet wat ek bedoel.

Die vuur waarvan Blossom, alias Antjie praat, was 'n plastiek fabriek wat nou die dag deur 'n klein blikskottel gestig was. Hy kan bly wees ek was nie sy pa nie. Sy gat sou erger as daai vuur gebrand het.

Was verlede week in Tasmanië. Pragtig. Soos Niew Zealand. In die huisbak vertel ek vir my Ingelse familie van ons "melktreine" of te wel "milktrain" in Ingels.

Sal daar wragtig nie 'n vrou in Afrikaans vir my sê "nou van waar is jy?" Ek moer amper agteroor. Gesels die volgende dag met haar man. Ek en die perd het 40 jaar gelede op dieselfde myn in Wes Transvaal gewerk. Klein wêreld. Hoop nie daai saad wat ek vroeêr jare rondgestrooi het kom byt my hier in Oz nie.

Ja dit is soutpanne. Ongelukkig. Maar. Daar is planne om daai hele area in 'n dorp, soos Mawson Lakes met sy eie hawe, te omskep. Hoop dit gebeur. Is in my area en ek hoop om 'n paar rand daar te skep.

Is of topic ek weet. Maar darem leersaam en humoristies. Groete.

Hiers ek weer voor julle deur.

Hallo Antjie. Bly jy leef ok nog. Daar naby julle is my spesery en derm verskaffer. In Church street. Master Butchers. Vra net vir "Boelewos spices" Die pêre kan mos nie 'n rrrrrrrrrrrrrr seg nie. Noudat ons 'n klipgooi van mekaar af bly is dit tyd vir 'n braai sometime. Sal kontak maak.

Mawson Lakes is 'n bargain. As ek die LOTTO wen wil ek daar gaan bly. Jy loop te poot ooral waar jy wil wees. Jou kinders kan skool, dorp of Universiteit toe loop. Die trein stop by 'n moderne stasie wat jou in die middestad afgooi. Seker so 'n halfuur ok. Daar is treine wat dwarsdeur hol en min stop en met 'n krag in die stad kom. Daar is ok melktreine. As julle weet wat ek bedoel.

Die vuur waarvan Blossom, alias Antjie praat, was 'n plastiek fabriek wat nou die dag deur 'n klein blikskottel gestig was. Hy kan bly wees ek was nie sy pa nie. Sy gat sou erger as daai vuur gebrand het.

Was verlede week in Tasmanië. Pragtig. Soos Niew Zealand. In die huisbak vertel ek vir my Ingelse familie van ons "melktreine" of te wel "milktrain" in Ingels.

Sal daar wragtig nie 'n vrou in Afrikaans vir my sê "nou van waar is jy?" Ek moer amper agteroor. Gesels die volgende dag met haar man. Ek en die perd het 40 jaar gelede op dieselfde myn in Wes Transvaal gewerk. Klein wêreld. Hoop nie daai saad wat ek vroeêr jare rondgestrooi het kom byt my hier in Oz nie.

Ja dit is soutpanne. Ongelukkig. Maar. Daar is planne om daai hele area in 'n dorp, soos Mawson Lakes met sy eie hawe, te omskep. Hoop dit gebeur. Is in my area en ek hoop om 'n paar rand daar te skep.

Is of topic ek weet. Maar darem leersaam en humoristies. Groete.

More Jan,

Van die topic af maar ek geniet jou posts baie....MOOI DAG VERDER !!!

Neville

Indeed, no one here really care where you live, what car you drive or how much money you have, that is what I love here. Therefore, on that basis, certinaly "good" and "bad" areas are not considered based on the financial status of the people in there.And absolutely, there are areas with more social prolems than others, that is due to social make up and the concentration of " housing trusts" meaning people on welfare in government housing basically, where at times you see more social issues. But in perspective were talking about minor issues here compared to what we are used to in RSA and even in local terms. Example - big news in the week, a hotel ( cant recall where ) or vdeo store or something was robbed i think Thursday evening by a guy with a bloody syringe, he got away with some cash and no one injured. Really, it that it !?. So, like i said, every person has his own perception and requirements in terms of where to stay, from proximity to schools, proximity to the city, shops, trees or whatever it is what you like. Another very big factor is of course affordability, here it get more expensive the closer you get to the city, that goes for renting and buying. Typically and in general terms housing within 10 km radius around the city are more expensive than houses in the 10-25 km radius that but there can be exceptions, as is the case with Mawson Lakes ( about 15-20 km from CBD ) yet more expesive than some areas closer to the city because it is newer. As we all know, in specific initially when we just arrive accomodation price is a big deal.On that basis people decide where they prefer to settle, price and what the area offer in terms of their requirements. Does not really matter where you settle, you seldom see big fences and security, cars are left otside or on the road overnight etc etc.

IN terms of time to the CBD, from Salisbury as Jan mentioned about 30 minutes in traffic, Mawson Lakes a bit closer, perhaps 25 minutes, in both cases allow + 10 minutes or so for unforseen issues. By train if all goes weel from Mawson lakes I believe after talking to a Saffer work mate it takes 15-20 minutes to the station in Adelaide, North Terrace.

And yes, Shark Supporters are merely tolerated here, just, we have to try very hard, that goes for all other teams, only BULLS are really accepted :lol:

To close off, it really does not matter where you prefer to settle, it is what YOU make of it, that works for YOU and the quality of life is 10000 times better in ANY area here than in the entire Sourh Africa. Finish en klaar.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi julle

wel ons is nou al langer as 'n jaar die kant van die wereld, het eers in Paralowie gebly, en sonder motor kla gekom vir 'n hele jaar, en net publieke vervoer gebruik, nou uit eindelik 'n kar, en het getrek na salisbury noord, baie gelukkig in alby omgewings gewees, al hoekom ons getrek het is ons wou bietjie meer spasie he en ons vorige plekie was te huur met meubles, was tyd vir ons eie, ons voel baie veilig en gelukkig hier, ek verkoop Avon,so ons stap lekker in die aande om die aflewerings en bestellings te doen, en het nog geen probleme gehad nie,ons het heel wat australiese vriende gemaak in die omgewing en almal is gelukkig hier, ook 'n baie lekker australiese kerkie gevind, waar ons by ingeskakel het, baie klein gemeente, so 60 lidmate, maar die beste mense wat mens kan kry, sonder hulle en ons Hemelse Vader sou ons nie wees waar ons nou is. sterkte met die soek waar om te bly dis 'n groot storie, en al wat ek nog kan se gaan bly waar jul gemaklik sal wees, gelukkig sal wees en kan bekostig, goed en wel almal praat van al die duur areas...maar om eerlik te wees almal moet erens begin, en vir ons het en gaan dit nog steeds oor waar ons goed koop en lekker kan bly, en geld kan spaar om vir ons te help om op die been te kom en 'n beter toekoms kan he eendag vir die kinders,vir ons gaan dit oor gelukkig wees en nie die beste van als te he nie, maar dit verskil ook van persoon tot persoon,

tara

Archived