Employment in Canberra

JennyG

Hi guys, how does the employment in Canberra look these days? For those of you who moved recently, were you able to land a job within a relative short time? I am just curious to know because there is a lot of Saffers moving to Canberra these days and the Canberrian government is still recruiting people to move to Canberra. So my guess is there should be a lot of jobs available?

• 3 weeks later...

hey,

there are always vacancies ... keep checking

http://www.seek.com.au/

http://mycareer.com.au/

http://www.careerone.com.au/

Sure you will find something ... also Google for local recruitment agencies....

Hi guys, how does the employment in Canberra look these days? For those of you who moved recently, were you able to land a job within a relative short time? I am just curious to know because there is a lot of Saffers moving to Canberra these days and the Canberrian government is still recruiting people to move to Canberra. So my guess is there should be a lot of jobs available?

:ilikeit: I have seen the odd guy washing car windscreens at the traffic lights in Civic and another mascular tanned bloke in Woden.

The guy in Woden seems to make some good cash - not sure if its from his windscreen washing skills or because he wears a vest and tight jeans !! :blink:

Ive seen him at the nearby mall eating some really good meals !! You'll be ok Jenny

There is enough work to go around. Just keep in mind that the culture and approach is a little diferent. I personally got work within less than two weeks of starting to look. Had to be willing to accept something a lot lower in seniority (but with a livable wage) and had to take a temporary position. I was asked after a week to apply for a new permanent post and this was full time - guess they wanted to check me out first. Have heard about a few cases where this happened.

In many cases they dont even advertisethe posts but simply call their favourite agency. In others they advertise very widely. I used Byron recruitment and on that got a list of almost 100 agencies in ACT. Seek seems to be the most common - costs money to advertise in more than one category so it is better to search under key words. The act government advertise theirs on their own site - and there is quite a bit.

There is also always temp work of many kinds available - you must just be flexible and willing to work with your hands.

Then of course you have to let others know you are looking - networks is the thing here. Everyone seems to know everyone - it is a strange placewith everything a big city offers except the large numbers of people.

So if youre willing to work, not too fussy and flexible - bob is your uncle.

Hey you guys! Thanks for the replies!! One can't help to stress and think you must move to another continent without going to earn an income for a while! This is stressful!!

My sister in America said that it looks as if things is starting to pick up on their side, so hopefully is is the same for Aus!

P.S. Thanks for the useful info Pine!

• 3 months later...
Hey you guys! Thanks for the replies!! One can't help to stress and think you must move to another continent without going to earn an income for a while! This is stressful!!

My sister in America said that it looks as if things is starting to pick up on their side, so hopefully is is the same for Aus!

P.S. Thanks for the useful info Pine!

Any Luck yet Jenny?

Things are definately starting to look up now that we are in a new year! Thankfully Steve has just got a new job today. He lost his job in Nov and we have been looking since then. He managed to secure contract work in Newcastle which has proved quite lucrative, but far away and only until Feb. Today we received a letter of offer for another job, only downside its a full-in position for someone else and the contract is only until end of July. Hopefully by then we will have more options....

Candice

Hi Candice, glad things are looking up for you guys!

GonnabeACT, LOL I haven't even start looking for jobs! I'm still struggling to get rid of my property before I can do anything drastic!

Thanks for the interest though!

MMMM ... my house is still on the market and I'm doing the leap of faith ..... I off on the 15th and my wife will still be here .. Hopefully it sells soon!

I agree with Pine, you have to be willing to start at the bottom and work your way up.

The biggest problem they have with employing is references, someone in Australia, most of the companies are not interested in what you have done or achieved in South Africa. So the best is to take a job on a lower level and maybe not as high paying as you would like, but this will give you the opportunity to put a name on your resume within Australia for future applications.

There is enough jobs as long as you are not too picky and if you are willing to bend your knees a little.

There is enough jobs as long as you are not too picky and if you are willing to bend your knees a little.

I have no problem with that...just get me there!!!

Archived