LAND LINE PHONE SUPPLIED BY SERVICE PROVIDER?

mircri22

HI THERE,

I will really appreciate if anybody in Perth can answer this;When one gets installed a land line,does the instrument(phone) comes with the line rental?Or we have to buy it?Does the South African phones work over there,or do the phone plugs are different?

Thanks a mill!

Erika

In Victoria you have to supply your own phone, I guess in WA it would be the same, however, you can rent or buy one from Telstra. If you go into a Dick Smith shop (electronics) you can easily buy a phone for as little as $25.

We have one of those set of four phones, one is plugged into the phone line and electrical point and that enables the other three to pick up the calls, whilst they are only plugged into electricity. For something like this you would pay as little as $75.

The SA phone plugs are different to the Australian ones, at least they were when we left 16 years ago, do not know about now.

Its the same here in Sydney - you also have to buy your own handset. But as Mara says, they are really cheap. We have the same set up, 3 handsets, the main one has an answering machine and then the other 2 just lie around the house... I wouldnt bother bringing your handset with, the plugs wont fit here.

HI THERE,

I will really appreciate if anybody in Perth can answer this;When one gets installed a land line,does the instrument(phone) comes with the line rental?Or we have to buy it?Does the South African phones work over there,or do the phone plugs are different?

Thanks a mill!

Erika

Hi Erika,

We are in Perth, and we had to buy our own phone to put into the socket. They do not supply the phones. And for your cellphones, you can bring it with - but then you have to buy a special plug from the duty free shops at the airport..... 'cause the plugs differ.

Hope it helps

Loma

• 1 month later...

When you are renting some houses do come with a phone, otherwise you need to buy a phone from the phone shop.

A very basic phone costs about $20.00 , if you want cordless phones they start from about $59.00 for a set of two and go up from there , depending on your phone features.

There is no point bringing you SA phones they are not compatible here- I mean normal landline phones.

Certainly bring your cell phones.

HI THERE,

Thanks a mill!

Erika

The plugs are different, but you can get an adaptor from Dick Smith (or any other electronic shop). We brought our Telkom cordless phones from SA, and they work fine with the adaptor, phones are really cheap here if you decide to buy one.

Noele

Its the same here in Sydney - you also have to buy your own handset. But as Mara says, they are really cheap. We have the same set up, 3 handsets, the main one has an answering machine and then the other 2 just lie around the house... I wouldnt bother bringing your handset with, the plugs wont fit here.

Australia hava different socket in older houses, but as is the standard accross the world for new phones the RJ-12 is used (small 6 pin 4 connector plug)

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...duct/View/F2143

If you buy or rent an older house it will have a thing similar to South Africa (Big white plug called a 610) but the centre plastic bit is offset. Any decent phone can remove this and plug into new or add an Aus adapter. The bigger issue is the power supply wont fit becuase the mains plugs are different on any electronic RSA phone

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...duct/View/F2966

The big plastic adapter thing and alsorts can be bought.

When we arrived at the rental there was a phone. I phoned Telstra to connect and was told (who own all the exchanges and cables to homes ) there is supposed to be one as supplied by Telstra, but over the years people break them, keep them and are not replaced but fancy wireless ones are bought.

Archived