Good Schools on the Gold Coast

Dirk and Mandy

Hi Everyone! :ilikeit:

We did our visa validation trip to the Gold Coast a few weeks ago - in fact the girls (aged 10 and 8) and i got back last Tuesday. Literally 2 days before we left to come back, Dirk got an amazing job, and ended up staying behind to start work. The girls and i returned to South Africa to organise a container, and basically conclude our lives here.

We are now in a postion where the girls and i will be returning to the Gold Coast within the next 6 weeks, but while we were there, we never looked at any schools as we weren't sure if we would even end up in Queensland at all! Please could some of you who are living on the Gold Coast give us some pointers as to very good schools (not necessarily the private ones). Our plan is to find a good school, and then choose where to live from there. We have been advised to put the girls into a "Selective School" (i think that is the term for an unzoned government school which charges a monthly school fee, they aren't as expensive as private, but come with the discipline and academic standards of a private school, as well as the writing of an entrance exam to ensure an academic standard). A good sense of discipline, an academic focus are very important for us, as well as a caring and supportive school enviroment.

Any advise and help will be very much appreciated!

Mandy

Hey Mandy, well done girl. Glad things worked out so well for you guys. I'll be travelling up the Gold Coast and Barrier reff in December.

Good luck with the final arrangements'

Brat

Hi Everyone! :lol:

We did our visa validation trip to the Gold Coast a few weeks ago - in fact the girls (aged 10 and 8) and i got back last Tuesday. Literally 2 days before we left to come back, Dirk got an amazing job, and ended up staying behind to start work. The girls and i returned to South Africa to organise a container, and basically conclude our lives here.

We are now in a postion where the girls and i will be returning to the Gold Coast within the next 6 weeks, but while we were there, we never looked at any schools as we weren't sure if we would even end up in Queensland at all! Please could some of you who are living on the Gold Coast give us some pointers as to very good schools (not necessarily the private ones). Our plan is to find a good school, and then choose where to live from there. We have been advised to put the girls into a "Selective School" (i think that is the term for an unzoned government school which charges a monthly school fee, they aren't as expensive as private, but come with the discipline and academic standards of a private school, as well as the writing of an entrance exam to ensure an academic standard). A good sense of discipline, an academic focus are very important for us, as well as a caring and supportive school enviroment.

Mandy

Hi Mandy

Wow things really worked out well for you, so happy for you guys. We've been living on the Gold Coast for almost a year now. Can you tell me where your husband would be working?

By far the best (state) school on the Gold Coast is Varsity College. They take students from year 1-12. We live in Merrimac and when we moved here I enrolled my son (10) in Merrimac state Primary and my daughter (14) in Merrimac State High school as they had a very good selection of subjects and courses that would help her as she wants to be a Marine Biologist. My son loved Merrimac primary and it's so much like Winston Park (KZN) primary and he's settled well. My daughter hated Merrimac high and refused to go back there. So needless to say I had to make alternative arrangements. Everybody recommended Varsity College to me, but they are very strict and only take students in their catchment area which is really small.

I have managed to beg and plead and because of her impressive school reports and references she managed to get a place. I'm very impressed so far with the school. It's like a private school but without the fees. They're extremely strict and very serious about academic performance etc. And the beauty is once you get in you can move around and your kids will always have a place. So many Aussie families have moved into the catchment area even just temp or with family so that they can get their kids into the school. There is a primary, middle and high school. The primary school is up to year 6 then middle from year 7-9 and senior school from year 10-12 (although year 7-12 use the same facilities). So I can really recommend that you find a place in Varsity Lakes to rent as you will be in the catchment area.

You can get more information and the catchment areas from this website: http://education.qld.gov.au/schools/catchm...ty-c.html#local

Also check out the school website: http://varsitycollege.eq.edu.au/wcmss/index.php

If you're not planning to stay for long and not worried about high school now Merrimac Primary and Clover Hill Primary (Mudgeeraba) are great schools with very good reviews!

Merrimac website: http://merrimacss.eq.edu.au/wcmss/

Clover Hill Primary: http://cloverhillss.eq.edu.au/wcmss/

Let me know if there's anything else you need help with.

Wishing you well.

Hi Zaffergirl!

Thank you so much for the information! I really do appreciate it! :lol:

Dirk will be working in Brisbane, but has been told that there is no need to come into the office everyday, and he is welcome to work from home, so we have decided to live on the Gold Coast.

Our eldest daughter will be going to a traditional school, and the one you recommend sounds right up our ally! Our youngest daughter really doens't cope well in a traditional school, and i would ideally like to find a Montessori school for her as she is in one back here in South Africa and even though it is mid-year, they have recently promoted her to Grade 3, and have been giving her Grade 4 work in order to keep her stimulated. As such i have been looking for a Montessori school for her on the Gold Coast, and i really dont mind travelling to get one of them to school. I think it is going to be harder to find a Montessori Primary School than an excellent traditional one!

Dirk is flying back to Brisbane on Saturday morning, and as such can then start looking at a few schools as well as somewhere for us to live (he will initially be staying in the company apartment in Brisbane). The way things are going with my things back here, the girls and i should be back there late September/early October.

Thanks again!

:lol:

Wow, Mandy! Things have worked out so nicely for you guys! Hope you find the right school and keep us all posted on where you settle. We will hopefully be on the GC one day so will be nice to have your input.

L.

Hi Zaffergirl!

Thank you so much for the information! I really do appreciate it! :lol:

Dirk will be working in Brisbane, but has been told that there is no need to come into the office everyday, and he is welcome to work from home, so we have decided to live on the Gold Coast.

Our eldest daughter will be going to a traditional school, and the one you recommend sounds right up our ally! Our youngest daughter really doens't cope well in a traditional school, and i would ideally like to find a Montessori school for her as she is in one back here in South Africa and even though it is mid-year, they have recently promoted her to Grade 3, and have been giving her Grade 4 work in order to keep her stimulated. As such i have been looking for a Montessori school for her on the Gold Coast, and i really dont mind travelling to get one of them to school. I think it is going to be harder to find a Montessori Primary School than an excellent traditional one!

Dirk is flying back to Brisbane on Saturday morning, and as such can then start looking at a few schools as well as somewhere for us to live (he will initially be staying in the company apartment in Brisbane). The way things are going with my things back here, the girls and i should be back there late September/early October.

Thanks again!

:lol:

My Pleasure, and how nice to be able to work from home! Hope you find a good Montessori and that everything work out well for you guys. See you all on the Gold Coast soon.

Regards

Coleen

Thanks for all your help and support! I booked our container yesterday, and they start packing us up on the 14th of September. We booked our flights today, and the girls and i are flying back to Brisbane on the 24th of September! Things are happening so fast, there isn't time to take it all in! :lol:

We have had a look at Varsity College and Varsity Lakes - Dirk spoke to someone at the school today. So far we are very impressed with what we are seeing and hearing, so Dirk will go take a look next week and we are looking to find a house in the catchment area. Once they have seen Tyras' school reports we hope that they will be happy to accept her (she is a straight A student here). The school i am hoping to put Paige into is close to Mermaid Beach which isn't too far to commute to, so things seem to be working out nicely! :ilikeit:

Hey Dirk and Mandy,

wow, you guys have really come a looong way ne? congrats on the job Dirk, it seems that most things are smooth sailing for you guys, just these last few hurdles

good luck with the last leg of the race!!

y

Hi Mandy

I do not know any public schools that would meet most SA people's standards. So I would suggest if you can afford it to send your children to a private school. You may battle to find a public school that will meet your standards as we as South Africans do have high standards when it comes to schooling.

My children go to Saint Stephen's College www.ssc.qld.edu.au and we are very happy with the school. There are plenty of South African here at the school.

I would certainly do my homework when it comes to schooling as there are some terrible state schools here on the Gold Coast (not just on the Gold Coast in Brisbane and surrounds as well).

Please find attached a map of the Gold Coast and surrounding areas with the name of private schools etc below

http://www.aisq.qld.edu.au/files/files/Com...ions/SEQMap.pdf

Also here is a list of names and tel no and website addresses so you can look on their websites what their fees are.

http://www.aisq.qld.edu.au/files/files/Sch...s/GoldCoast.pdf

Here is the website for Eduaction Queensland for more info on state schools.

http://education.qld.gov.au/parents/

As I said I do not want to scare you but please do choose carefully.

Zaffergirl it seems like if that is the case with the schools you have mentioned, you may be on to something. (Good on ya).

I would look into Zaffergirl's suggestion if I was you.

Good Luck and all the best

saussie

Hi, just want to know whether St Stephens is a very religious school - ie, do they have to attend church and RI classes?

Hi, just want to know whether St Stephens is a very religious school - ie, do they have to attend church and RI classes?

hi my kids are at St Stephens at it is not at all religious. My child was the only one who went to church in her class. They have a chapel service for families twice a year and there are religion classes every week but my child has yet to have one this term. I think in the senior years it is a bit more regular. I must say I miss the opening prayers at assemblies and the vibrant hymns that my kids used to sing in SA. Now its just the Australian anthem. Just my opinion though.

Dear Mandy,

We are going for our validation trip/LSD Brisbane and Gold Coast leaving JHB on 24 Sep 2009. May bump into you if flying Qantas QF0064.

Jennifer

Hi there

Saint Stephen's is an Angligan Catholic School. And my children have chapel (RI classes) once a week in the school chapel. The staff have a chapel service at the start of each term on student free days, where they sing hymns and open and close the ceremonies with prayer. The fortnightly staff meetings are also closed with a prayer. Saint Stephen's have a dedicated College Chaplain who does all the chapel classes for the kids at SSC.

Most of the private school in Australia are linked to some religion. Saint Stephen's College definately has a religious affiliation. Most of the end of the year school functions are also opened and closed with a prayer. They have a fantastic carols by candelight in November of each year to celebrate the birth of Jesus. It is different to South African Schools but when you live in Australia you need to learn not to compare things with the way it was done in SA because it is not SA (it is far from it) Similiar in a lot a ways but far from the real SA.

I love Saint Stephen's College as it is a very friendly and close community feel.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Saussie

Hi Everyone! :lol:

Mandy

Mandy

You soooo need to get hold of Narms on the forum - she is offering a house to rent in Mudgeeraba - it is perfect for you - they have bought a house and need to sublet their house which is a nice new house - the good thing is it is within walkin distance to not only Clover Hill primary school but if I remember right there is also a Montessori right there as well - next to Clover Hill - I think the rent is 500 a week but is worth it for the first 6 months and they have the nicest neighbours...

PM me if you need to find out more - and get Dirk to contact us when he is back and he can meet all the guys..

regards

Heather

(PS Varsity is also a good school - clover hill is newer though and smaller which is nice too)

Thanks Heather - PMd you.

We have found a rental in Varsity Lakes - Pictures on the internet look stunning! Dirk went through from Brisbane on Monday afternoon to take a look, filled out the application forms and seriously hoped for the best as four other people were coming to see it as well. A few hours later the agent let him know that he had got it! The first place he looked at, and the our first rental in Australia - hassle free! :lol:

Dirk and Mandy - seems like you have it all worked out, and that is great !

I do just want to add my 2 c worth though..... and a little background will help us do that.

We also decided the Gold Coast. We also did the schools review - Varisty Lakes, CLover Hill and Merrimac. I have a child in Grade One. We went for the interviews with our child, and I went back again once more on my own to be sure of the things I was looking for. We did the real estate rental thing.....

and then we decided not to settle on the Gold Coast, and I have been very happy with our decision.

All I am trying to say is that you need to be OPEN to other ideas. And you need to be VERY clear about what you are looking for in a place so that you can assess quickly when you arrive.

If your husband is working in Brisbane, the commute is VERY long and tiring and cane takes HOURS if there is a very small delay on the motorway...

Review your options. Look at Brisbane. Keep your heart and thoughts open and be clear on exactly what it is that you are looking for.

This is my only advice.

Cheers

Nix

Archived