Gem Squash in Australia !!

cristel

You may remember from Issue Four in Sabona they featured an article about the Steffen family in Gatton who are growing gem squash:

Thanks to another enterprising and ever resourceful South African, we here in Oz are about to start enjoying having gem-squash as part of our staple diet again!

Gatton farmer Brett Steffens looked into importing gemsquash seeds from South Africa, not only to provide an alternate source of income, but also to fill what is quite clearly a gap in the market.

Brett is a third generation farmer, who was prepared to take a gamble on importing seeds! Fortunately, the gem squash is an easy grower, and took to the land like a duck to water! "It took a lot of research and tonnes of paper-work" especially thanks to bureaucratic red tape. Brett persevered and did everything by the book. Now he has the rights to import a hybrid seed which he has exclusive rights to for the next three years.

As a result of this article, Brett received calls from many ex-pats placing their orders for their beloved gems, but understandable most only ordered a box or two every now and again. As well as sporadic sales through a few South African grocery stores, the Steffens have relied mostly on word of mouth to sell their gems. Unfortunately the demand has not been sufficient and Brett had to throw out more than 75% of his last crop. He has approached Woolies in Sydney and like most large stores they are happy to stock new products, but only if the demand is there.

Right...So next time you visit your local Coles, Woolies or Fresh Food Market, why not ask if they stock gem squash (We know they don't), but this is one way we can start to help build some demand for Brett's crop. And if you approach a small independent grocery and they are interested, please take their details and pass them on to Brett Steffens.

His details are:

Mobile: 0419 021 421

You can also contact Paul Seymour on 0423 618 331 for contacts on where to buy the Gem Squash.

The next crop of gems goes in at the end of August, so get your orders in and lets see how much demand we can create for this truly African vegetable. Lets make gem squash an Aussie household favourite

We get them at out local Wollies in WA

Looking to the future. Would they be able to send to Brisbane?? My kids are addicted to Gems!

Joanne

Hi Joanne,

Where there is a demand, you local Woolies will get them for you. By the time you get here, hopefully your fellow Saners has campaigned and pledged to buy it, so it should be organised

Cristel

We get Gems at our local markets and at our local IGA in Perth.

Hubby and I love gems! I used to buy them from our local SAfrican shop. The problem I have, is the price. They are unafordably expensive!!! For this reason, I have decided to no longer purchase any. This is really sad if 75% of the crop had to be discarded!!

At the price gems cost in Sydney, I'll continue to buy chokos.

Where does this guy live ? I would LOVE some gems !!!!! We are in Brisbane.....

I'll ask the local wollies and Hyper for sure !!!

Nix

• 2 weeks later...
Where does this guy live ? I would LOVE some gems !!!!! We are in Brisbane.....

I'll ask the local wollies and Hyper for sure !!!

Nix

Try springbokfoods.com

Larry

Archived