Exasperated IT Person

ShArK-NoW

Hi All

I am realising that I will have a challenge regarding my skills assessment. I have a BA degree in Psychology and Criminology. From here I have ventured into IT. I have the normal stuff like MCSE NT4, VCP, ITIL foundation but no formal degree with a Major IT subject. I started with my career in 1998 as a normal server engineer and left IT as a technical leader for my team to venture into a private venture for two years. Here I remained responsible for all IT tasks but it was on a small scale. I was also responsible to reconcile the bank and cashbooks. I started with IT in 2004 again as a full time employed consultant and today I am the line manager for all the servers (1300+) across South Africa. I do currently work for a ICT company with a international footprint, but they do not have offices in Australia. My solid work experience is 6 years solid and close to 10 years including my other careers.

Most of my exposure was on servers, and more so on a Microsoft platform. I understand that if you have any degree that is not ICT related you need to complete the ACS RPL assessment and have 6 years experience. I have looked at the RPL route but must admit that my exposure does not nearly cover most of the 14 categories specified. Suddenly I feel like a unskilled person!!!

I am 38 currently and will be turning 39 next year. We would like to enter AU with a 136 Visa.

Any suggestions or help for a shark out of water?

Regards

Shark-Now

Hi Shark-Now,

One of our other members, G72, also went through a thousand loops 'n hoops getting recognition of prior learning without a formal IT degree. He is on route to Australia and should be arriving sometime in Jan. I know him personally, so if you like, I can ask him to contact you to tell you what he did?

The other option you can consider is trying to find a sponsor and coming in on a 457 instead? A degree isn't required in these instances - just proof of experience.

Hope it works out!

Ajay

Hi there

I have completed my ACS RPL and you have all my sympathy. B) I just want to point out that you actually need 8 years experience as they deduct two years for your degree and then they still want 6 years experience. I had 7 years experience when I submitted my RPL and they have approved it general, but could not give me a possitive assessment. :thumbdown: I had to wait another year, supply prove and then they send a possitive letter. :ilikeit: But as you started in 1998 it should not be a problem.

The biggest thing with RPL is to get organised. <_< Go and list all your projects that you had (even the smaller ones as this also prove that you can work with a diverse client base) Once you have done that you need to decide to which category it belongs, for example auditing, networks, software implementation etc etc.

I think it may be better if you email me directly on ja.xm@hotmail.com. Tell me a little bit more about projects. If I can give you an example - I had to audit the existing access control policy for the company and re-implement a whole new procedure. Two knowledge basis already covered in one project.

I guarantee that If you just sit down and organize yourself a bit, it will be ok. Hard work, yes but definately possible.

I am in meetings all day, but will respond to your email on Sunday. :)

Hi.

if you have a transcript of your mcse or can get one, that with a geniune 6 yrs as an it professional will qualify under cat B.

cheers

Hi Shark-Now

I had a similar situation - I'm qualified in Electrical Engineering, but switched to IT about 7 years ago. Some of my Elec Eng experience was IT-related, and that's how I made up the required 8 years.

I worked through a migration agent, and they told me exactly what documents were required, the required formats etc. It was quite a bit of running around, obtaining letters from current and previous superiors, writing up reports, projects etc but it is definitely do-able. My RPL came through from ACS about 2 months after submitting.

If you need any further assistance, PM me.