St Peter College, one of the best private schools in Australia

MannyT

Adelaide has some great private schools and St Peters is one of the best in the country, ........if you can afford it.

The Collegiate School of St Peter is one of Australia's oldest and most prominent boys' schools, numbering among its old scholars three Nobel Prize winners, 42 Rhodes Scholars, seven Premiers of South Australia and two winners of the Victoria Cross.

Set on 32 hectares of magnificent grounds opposite the Botanic gardens, Saints is within walking distance of the University of Adelaide and only three kilometres from the city centre. It is a member of the G20 group of world-renowned independent schools which includes Eton, Marlborough, Wellington, Deerfield Acadamy and Appleby College.

St Peter's College is certainly one of the best school environments that I have visited :hug::hug:

Enjoy!

Manny

Hey Manny,

It sounds awesome - can you frighten us with some idea of the fees? :blink:

Tracy,

Reception is about $9000 a year, yr 7 about $13000, 8 - 10 around $17 000 and yr 12 about $18000 plus extra for the IB diploma if they choose that in yr 11 and 12. Excludes uniform, music lessons and books, but includes all sports, excursions etc. Boarding fees are about $15000 a year extra and if day boys want meals at school that's extra too. There are good discounts for having more than one child at school and also for sisters who attend Walford or St Peter's girls. Scholarships are myriad and very generous.

I work there and my son attends if anyone wants any more information.

I would highly recommend the school, but not everyone will be hapy there. Know your child and if you attend an open day you will know whether it will suit them

Annette

PS: Why is this not in the Adelaide subforum?

Tracy,

Reception is about $9000 a year, yr 7 about $13000, 8 - 10 around $17 000 and yr 12 about $18000 plus extra for the IB diploma if they choose that in yr 11 and 12. Excludes uniform, music lessons and books, but includes all sports, excursions etc. Boarding fees are about $15000 a year extra and if day boys want meals at school that's extra too. There are good discounts for having more than one child at school and also for sisters who attend Walford or St Peter's girls. Scholarships are myriad and very generous.

I would highly recommend the school, but not everyone will be hapy there. Know your child and if you attend an open day you will know whether it will suit them

Annette

Hi Annette

Thanks for all the info, you are real star :unsure:

I originally posted the identical topic on the Communities-Adelaide forum but someone obviously removed it. :blink:

Hi Tracy, I hope that Annette's reply provides the required info regarding the fees.

Enjoy!

Manny

Tracy,

Annette

Annette,

Just a quick question. My son is in an International School (10th grade) here in Switzerland, and his school also offers the IB diploma for year 11th and 12th. I am not so familiar with it and would like to hear what you think. What is the advantage? I will have to find out more, we have a meeting later this year. This is his second year in an International school, and it is a whole lot different to schools in the USA.

Hi Bluebonnet

I have started a new thread in Schools & Education so as not to highjack this thread. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Bluebonnet

I have started a new thread in Schools & Education so as not to highjack this thread. :blink:

:)

• 2 years later...

Hi there - we are in the process of migrating to Adelaide from South Africa. Just a quick question - can the average person living in Adelaide afford St. Peters or is it majority the wealthy that send their children to St. Peters College?

Hi there - we are in the process of migrating to Adelaide from South Africa. Just a quick question - can the average person living in Adelaide afford St. Peters or is it majority the wealthy that send their children to St. Peters College?

Michelle, I would say that it would be well off people or those that insist on private education. Those fees are higher than university fees. If you search the forum there is a lot of good information re state and private schools. Catholic schools also offer a good education but with less of the price tag of private schools. There are only two state schools where I live and the voluntary fee is around $70 per year plus uniforms, books etc.

I suppose a lot depends on what salary you earn, but most people would not be able to pay around $270 per week for a year seven student if they were on average wage.

Annette,

Just a quick question. My son is in an International School (10th grade) here in Switzerland, and his school also offers the IB diploma for year 11th and 12th. I am not so familiar with it and would like to hear what you think. What is the advantage? I will have to find out more, we have a meeting later this year. This is his second year in an International school, and it is a whole lot different to schools in the USA.

Hi Bluebonnet

My Kids are at the Montessori school , my eldest has just finished his IB Diploma, and my next finishes next year.

The advantage of the IB diploma is that it is reconised world wide. All the university have a conversion for the diploma, so no need for any bridging courses etc if you are going to study in another country.

There is a HUGE amount of work that they have to get through in the 2 years , it is pressure pressure. Its a very balanced program and defintely focuses on the academic child. Between the CAS , TOK and normal subjects , and the extended essay, the field world etc etc , there is a lot of work. I do beleive the program rreally prepares the kids for University. If you child is planning on studying anywhere other than Europe , then I strongly recommend that he does the IB. If he needs to do a bridging course in Australia , that could be 6 -12 months extra on his studies.

Where as with the IB he can go straight into a course assuming he has the subjects he needs to do. Even if he does not do the Diploma, some Universities will also accept an IB Certificate.

Please feel free to PM if you want any further details.

There is a fair amount of info on the IBO Website : http://www.ibo.org/

Read through this forum regarding what the students have to say about the IB Diploma. As a parent I found this very helpful

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Good luck with your decision.

Regards

Enrica

Hi Bluebonnet I tried to send you a PM , but apparently you are not set up to receive a message.

Feel free to email me.

Regards

Enrica

• 1 month later...

Michelle, I would say that it would be well off people or those that insist on private education. Those fees are higher than university fees. If you search the forum there is a lot of good information re state and private schools. Catholic schools also offer a good education but with less of the price tag of private schools. There are only two state schools where I live and the voluntary fee is around $70 per year plus uniforms, books etc.

I suppose a lot depends on what salary you earn, but most people would not be able to pay around $270 per week for a year seven student if they were on average wage.

Thank you!

Archived