Parent Visa Options

sa2auz

My parents are visiting in Feb and I would very much like to persuade them to move to Aus. I would like to have all the correct visa options and pros and cons of each for the different parental visas.

We are on a 457 temporary visa and I am assuming we could not include them in our PR application and that we would have to be here for a year before sponsoring them. I have also heard there are upto 4 year waits for certain visas. Obviously moving is a huge financial setback and worse as you get older so I think the contribuitory visa is out of the question. I am an only child so I think the last remaining relative thing would apply. Anybody checked out all the info or gone through the process yet?

Hi

We did the Contributory Parental visa.

Took 6 months to get.

Cost:$35 000

Receive medicare from Day 1.

I have heard the normal Parental Visa can take up to 6-7 years.

You need to have PR. You also need to have two completed tax years to be able to sponsor.

If your parents are still young then this time line will not be prohibitive.

For us it was not possible as our parent was already frail.

She arrived Jun 2004 and passed away last month.

Hi sa2auz :thumbdown:

For parent visa options, have a look at: Parent Visa Options Be sure to read the visa options under ‘If you are outside Australia’.

There are alternative visa options that could be applicable to parents. Have a look at: Other Family Visas (relevant to parents) Again, be sure to read the visa options under ‘Outside Australia’.

VERY IMPORTANT: have a thorough look at the Parent Migration Booklet (booklet 3) On the opening page here, there is a choice (link) where you can download the booklet free of charge - it's in pdf format.

Going through this information will possibly help you determine which visa is best for you specifically. As far as I know, you need to have PR before you can sponsor your parents.

Liza :ilikeit:

Edited by kangaroo

Hi Everyone

The contributary parent visas have been popular siince they were introduced. This is despite the hideous cost. Many parents from the UK and China in particular have applied for them. As a result of the popularity the processing time has blown out to about a year.

The standard parent visas are capped at about 300 per year. That means a wait of 10 years or more for these ones. They are really not an option unless you can apply onshore-which you can't if your from south Africa.

The other point to make is that you have to be a settled permanent resident to apply. They are no good if you are on a 457. Of course you could look at a 457 for your parents as well, depending on whether they are working age or not.

Good Luck

tony

www.jklawyers.com.au

Hi All,

Queensland Girl mentioned that one need to have two completed tax years to be able to sponsor. Sa2Aus mentioned that they are in Australia on a 457 Visa. :unsure::wub:

Must the completed tax years be on a PR visa? In other words, does one need to complete 2 tax years on a PR visa before sponsoring parents or can one sponsor parents after two completed tax years regardless of the visa that you were on as long as you are in the possession of a PR Visa at the time of the Sponsorship Application.

I look forward to get clarification on this matter.

Bye, Pippa! X

I read somewhere that you need tax statements for two years showing an income of at least $41,000 a year before you are able to qualify to sponsor a relative.

I don't know about the other aspects.

What they're taling about here is the assurance of support. The assurer does not have to be the same person as the sponsor-they don't even have to be related.

However, the assurer must guarantee that the parent wil not claim social security for 10 years! They also have to put up a $10,000 bond. This person must earn $41k for 2 years or more.

To sponsor a parent you just need to be a "settled" permanent resident.

tony

www.jklawyers.com.au