The winter is SO depressing

Nicci

Question

You know Winter time in SA is really bad, there is not much to do there.... but at least you have your family and friends there to have a braai and go over for a cup of coffee or a glass of wine just to get cheered up.

I feel that here in OZ, winter is the WORST time of the year (and immigration) to me.

You have no family to go and visit, you have no real GOOD friends to spend time with.

You can't make use of the public facilities they have to offer.

I wish there was something here just to lift our spirits a bit in the winter time.

Feeling really low

:ilikeit:

Missing Home

Hey Nicci - know exactly how you feel - its our first winter in Perth and although I am glad that all the cold and rain are over and done with in one season - its seems as though it has never stopped raining!! We can not wait for the sun to come out - I know the winter affects me, had the same problem when I was in the UK! I find spending time on the internet planning a holiday for when the weather turns helps a lot to lift the mood!

I also cannot wait for summer to show it's face, although a bit disappointed that we won't have the daylight saving anymore, that was so cool enjoying the day for a wee bit longer, especially when you work full day.

:blink::)

Well the winter is nearly OVER YEAY!!!

I suppose hearing everyone on this post, sounds like immigration is hard, and bad weather just puts you in a bad mood, I am used to the cold winters in joburg, but hell at least the SUN SHINES!!

Anyway, spring has sprung (well supposed to have) and I heard on the weather forecast that this summer is going to be one of the hottest summers in 10 years..... BRING IT ON!!!!!!!

At least we can swim, go to the parks and beaches, and just have good "Sun Fun"

I spoke to some mates at home and they say that they would trade with us anyday, just to get out of the mess called Africa.

Although it is Africa, it will still always stay in your heart, you will always have that "bosveld" in your blood.

But I suppose there is no going back..... you will remember the advantages here, and miss that!

So it is really confusing but we have to get through it!

No one said that immigration is EASY!!!!

:blink:

When we were in Mackay the heat for 3 months was the killer.

I heard someone say "winter was on Wednesday this year"

Pity you cant swim in the sea in summer because of the Erukanji jelly fish unless you like a body siut, but the rest of the year it is all OK

I have seen stinger enclosures on one of the beaches near Slade Point and I know people who swim year round so it cant be that bad.

I feel for them - you need money to do what you have mentioned, with money it isnt a problem!! :unsure:

Oh yes NZ for a getaway to avoid winter blues!! Yeah right its winter all year round there basically!! :blink:

I guess you're not living in or near Sydney, because we've had no winter here! In that case, how about a short holiday in Sydney? that should lift your spirits... :blink: There's also the Whitsundays off the Queensland coast and even Fiji, or you can go skiing in Thredbo / Perisher Blue, or Queenstown in New Zealand. On the west coast, there's Broom and the Ningaloo Reef. Definitely lots to do all-year round.

I feel for them - you need money to do what you have mentioned, with money it isnt a problem!! :unsure:

Winter! Come to Tasmania and feel a real winter.

Seriously though I do hope that you feel better and get into touch with some others.

B

Pity you cant swim in the sea in summer because of the Erukanji jelly fish unless you like a body siut, but the rest of the year it is all OK

Where are living LeeInOz?

Brisbane sounds like they don't get winter at all!

Been watching the weather here in Perth and the sun seems to be coming out again

Still cold though but looks like the rain is slowing down.

You know Winter time in SA is really bad, there is not much to do there.... but at least you have your family and friends there to have a braai and go over for a cup of coffee or a glass of wine just to get cheered up.

I feel that here in OZ, winter is the WORST time of the year (and immigration) to me.

You have no family to go and visit, you have no real GOOD friends to spend time with.

I wish there was something here just to lift our spirits a bit in the winter time.

Feeling really low

:whome:

Missing Home

So sorry to hear you're down and missing home. Wish I could send you some Gold Coast weather. We're dying of heat in WINTER? Wished I could have a little cold cozy weather. But I know that too much of it can make you feel blue! Chin up and smile it will soon be much warmer and then you're going to miss winter!

I hope you make more "real GOOD" friends soon, so you will have plenty of friends next winter! :blink:

I know what you are feeling - we are in the UK and I am dreading the arrival of winter. It gets dark at 4pm and is really grey all the time.

What we do have here in the UK is toddler groups where you can go with your kids. There are plenty of them around - in Guildford you could go to one every day if you wanted. Its normally held in the church hall. In the beginning it was dreadful as I was shy and did not know anyone, but I just kept at it and eventually made some friends - also South Africans. It really was a lifesaver.

Also they sometimes have story times etc in the library, and special cheaper times at the cinema for kids, and we have softplay areas as well.

Maybe there are some things similar in Perth? You need to get out and about - I know being indoors with your kids all the time could drive you bonkers!!

Good luck! :thumbdown:

Hey Nicci, why don't you advertise on the Forum for all Mummy's with children at your little one's ages to have a get together, and maybe once a week you meet at different houses, would do the kiddies good never mind the Mummy's as well.

I am sure there are so many Mommy's out there that are just waiting to get into a group of new friends and chat to their heart's content.

Give it a go, mention where you stay, how many kids, ages, and suggest a day for them to maybe meet you at your house, if you get a good response you will start feeling a bit better because you have now started something to help other's as well.

Good Luck, this immigration thing is so hard, I fully understand, I have also had problems with my teenagers as well.

Cheers

Kathy

Feeling really low

:thumbdown:

Missing Home

While I do feel for you, please be aware it could be worse! We face the similar, "no family & no close friends" issue plus we face a Canadian winter every year. Heck even parts of Spring and Fall is cold up here. I would trade with you in a moment.

I guess you're not living in or near Sydney, because we've had no winter here! In that case, how about a short holiday in Sydney? that should lift your spirits... :thumbdown: There's also the Whitsundays off the Queensland coast and even Fiji, or you can go skiing in Thredbo / Perisher Blue, or Queenstown in New Zealand. On the west coast, there's Broom and the Ningaloo Reef. Definitely lots to do all-year round.

The winter in Cape Town isn't exactly lifting my spirits either, especially waiting and waiting for a CO.

Hang in there Nicci, I am sure once spring and then summer starts, you will begin to feel much better. It's the cold and rain that gets to us Saffers, we need sunlight!

Must say, is a stunning day in the Cape today, which must be why I'm feeling a bit more optimistic. :)

Sometimes it seems really miserable/cold outside, but once you get going it's not so bad. You are the cold one, not the kids, the moment they start running around they take all their clothes off. I know it is not a solution for every day, but don't you have an indoor play place for the kids? It helps to keep them busy and you get to set foot out of the house and can have a coffee while you look after the baby.

Melbourne's winters are horrible and LONG. It is my second winter here and heaps better than last year as it is a bit warmer and I guess I am more used to it too. Also, I now work 2 days a week in an office, where I used to stay home at first and then worked from home. It's much warmer at work than at home. I couldn't get myself to put on the ducted heating if it was only me at home.

It can also be a bit depressing sitting at home with 3 kids (I assume they aren't going to school/daycare) doing all the housework in any case, not only in winter, so try and change your situation.

I have to agree N, I have found my first winter to be almost unbearable too !! From Durbs to Canberra - what was I thinking ??

When I arrived I too was a little down and darn lonely - but then after chatting to people they suggested I join a group of ladies with a similar interest. It was a little awkward at first but now its been my lifeline. There are just not enough hours in my day ! Have you explored this option ?? It may also be difficult for you with such little ones, but a lot of ladies groups really dont mind if the littlies tow along.

Missing family and close friends is really hard and when the weather is miz it just makes us feel worse. Hope you are feeling a little better soon and the sun starts warming Perth up again.

Thanks guys

Really appreciate the support from all you guys!!

Sometimes it just helps to get things off your chest, instead of just bottling it up inside.

Suppose that I must just keep remembering that winter is not permanent and will be over in just a few weeks.

What is there to do in Perth in Winter?

Just to get out of the house and get out there?

Bearing in mind that I have 2 children and a baby......

Any ideas?

Hey, Nicci

Have sent you a PM.....chin up!!!!

Erica :hug:

Feeling really low

:hug:

Missing Home

Nicci

Sorry to hear you're feeling down. Hope you don't mind me suggesting it, but you sound depressed - no shame in that. Winter does seem to affect certain people more than others, and this effect can cause depression to take hold. If that's the case with you, please seek professional help. Life is too short to spend it being miserable. Have you heard of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder)? Google it - it may be useful to you.

Friends of mine and I just discussed over the weekend HOW MUCH there is to do here - I have often wished that I could clone myself as there is so much to see, explore, attend and enjoy - all the while being in a safe environment. I find it really difficult to choose what to do (as there are so many brilliant options) and often feel that I'm 'missing out' on the stuff that I simply can't get to (due to time constraints). I have never been to Perth (I live in Melbourne where there is an abundance of affordable, wonderful things to see and do), but I am sure there are as many great things on in Perth as with all other cities.

Hope you're feeling better soon. I know the missing of family sometimes gets SO HARD (we all can relate to you regarding that), but please try to remember why you came to Australia.

Thinking of you and wishing you a bit of sun on your mind soon.

Cmon guys cheer up about winter. Granparents from fourways are having to explain to a 7 year old boy that his mommy is not collecting him. The 33 year old mother was shot as they wanted her television.

I agree , the Perth winter is cold and miserable, our first winter here. Bring on the summer, I am not scared of the 40 degrees anymore. Got our tickets for the rugby on Saturday so things are definitley looking up. Might see you at the rugby then.

Dear Nicci

Sorry to hear you are feeling down. I will PM you my number if you want to come around for a drink/or coffee.

Fortunately, next weekend you could go to BokTown to lift your spirits.

The sun is due to shine from Tesday next week, hopefully, this will improve the mood a bit.

Hang in their, it does get better.

Hugs

Enrica

Sorry to hear you are feeling low. Where are you? We have also barely had a winter, other than a couple of cold snaps where I thought I would freeze to death in my blowy little wooden house. Today felt like a boiling hot summers day, I even got sunburnt gardening! Hope you are feeling happier soon.... :hug::hug::hug:

Aw good luck. Hope you feel better soon. Must be so hard. All the best!

Archived