Can anyone tell me why?

VivaOZ

Hi all

I was busy with my daughters birthday cake this afternoon when I suddenly realised I do not have any food colouring for the icing I already made. So I send them to the shop while I keep on stirring the icing so that it does not go hard. They came back and told me that the lady at Woolworths did not want to sell the food colouring to them as they were not 18. I was fuming with this news and grabbed my purse and basicly ran down to Woolies. Now I started at 3 and hoped to be finished by 4 in time to start supper and by the time I had to run down to woolies I have already wasted half an hour first going through the cupboard and then trying to find out why my 12 year old came back without the stuff.

When I got to woolies there was absolutely NO notice on the shelf or anywhere else. I asked the lady where I payed and she said that it just came up on the computer so they are not allowed to sell it to children under 18. No explanation or anything like that. I asked but why is there no notices on the shelf or anywhere about it so that the people know, she just pulled up her shoulders.,

Now I am wondering if anyone know why it can not be sold to children? If there is any danger in the stuff it should not even be on the shelf. I have been searshing the net for any article or anything on the and I could not find anything. Have anyone had a simular experience?

Wilma

Hi VivaOZ,

Certain chemicals in food colorants have been directly linked to hyperactivity.

So that can be a big no no for kids with ADD or ADHD.

That would be the only reason that I can think of.

But yes, if that is the case. Then stating some thing for shoppers would be most helpful.

L

Not sure about the food colouring but the Essence's has a alcohol base and "under 18's" drink it as "shooters"!!??

There were about two weeks last year when they were working out to do that I couldn't buy essence and that was a bit of an annoyance because I needed it for the fudge!!

Some kids also use food colouring to paint peoples walls................when they cant get spray paint apparently.

Thanks for the reply. I have cooled off now and yes it does make sense, there must always be people miss using simple things like this. At least now I now and I will never as my daugters to go and buy that for me again.

I just feel that the shops then need to put a warining on the shelf. If there was a warning my daughter would not have felt like she did something wrong when she wanted to pay for the stuff. she would have read the warning and came home and told me.

Anywhy now I know. thanks for the replies.

Wilma

Have mercy, whatever next, sometimes all these rules and regulations drive me nuts.

Jill

Yip, This place has so much RED tape.

My 24 year old was refused when she when to buy a bottle of wine for me. The girl wanted to see her ID, but....

They do not except South African ID or drivers license, you must produce an Australian drivers license or your South African Passport.

That is a silly law at Woolies.

Archived