Granny is comming back with us in Des

VivaOZ

Hi

We are flying on the 6th of Nov, coming back on the 3rd of Des and mom-in-law is flying with us to visit for 3 months. I need to find out from people who have traveled what toiletries is allowed in the baggage and carry-on baggage. Sorry if I sound stupid but it will be our second time flying, the first time was coming to Os 2 years ago and we did not bring any toiletries except for our toothbrushes. We did not want to upset customs in anywhy so we played it safe. This time with granny coming back she might need to bring some of her toiletries with as we might not find the brands she uses here.

Can anyone help with information please?

Wilma

Have a look on the airlines website that you are travelling with. It tells you exactly what you are allowed to take with and what size bottles you are allowed in hand luggage. That will be your best bet because then you have the information first hand.

For instance, if you are travelling with Qantas, read the below: I think you will find it will be the same with most airlines.

Carry on Baggage Restrictions

All liquids, aerosols and gels must be carried in containers of no greater than 100ml/3.3oz capacity (approximately 100gm in weight). All containers must fit comfortably in a transparent, resealable plastic bag. The plastic bag must be no greater than 1 litre (1 quart) in capacity with a total outer edge measurement of the sealed section of the bag no larger than 80cm. There is a limit of one plastic bag per passenger. The plastic bag must be removed from carry on baggage and presented to security personnel at the checkpoint for inspection and separate x-ray screening. Containers larger than 100ml/3.3oz will not be accepted, even if only partially filled. Liquids, aerosols and gels include, but are not limited to

water and other drinks, soups, syrups, jams, stews, sauces and pastes; foods in sauces or containing a high liquid content; creams, lotions, cosmetics and oils; perfumes; sprays; gels including hair and shower gels; contents of pressurised containers, including shaving foam, other foam and deodorants; pastes including toothpaste; liquid-solid mixtures; mascara; lipsticks; lighters lip gloss or lip balm; and any item of similar consistency at room temperature. Medication and Baby Products

Prescription medicine and non-prescription medicine is permitted provided the passenger can demonstrate a bona fide need for these items Reasonable amounts of non-prescription medication required for the length of the flight are permitted. Baby products to be consumed in-flight including baby milk, sterilised water, baby juice, baby food in liquid, gel or paste form and wet wipes may be carried on board. All medication and baby products may be subject to additional security checks

Hi Wilma

you can bring your supply of toiletries in your 'checked-in' luggage > we did and had no problem :-)

The above 'limits' are for carry-on luggage only >

So am I correct in saying that for the checked luggage there is no limit to what you can bring in but for the carry-on it is the above mentioned limits. So will we be able to have your normal size deodarant, soap, shampoo ect in our checked lugage? And only 100ml bottles in our carry-on?

So am I correct in saying that for the checked luggage there is no limit to what you can bring in but for the carry-on it is the above mentioned limits. So will we be able to have your normal size deodarant, soap, shampoo ect in our checked lugage? And only 100ml bottles in our carry-on?

Yes, you are correct. That does not mean you can bring a WHOLE suitcase of toiletries over, as you might be seen as someone importing and will have to please explain to customs. But within reason you can bring all you need.

Thank you so much, this really will help when packing again that side to come back. Hopefully I will not have to leave my very expencive half a 200ml bottle of White Diamonds perfume this time around. Would we need to declare any of our toiletries? I am just the kind of rather safe than sorry. We do not want to mess with customs.

Thanks again for all the info.

Wilma

we did not declare our 6 month supply - as far as I know - toileteries are not on the 'prohibited' or 'restricted' list, and if they are for own use, then you don't have to declare them - note any medicine must be declared, and you must have a prescription for them to show customs, if they ask.

Yes, the reason for the limits on the liquids you have in your carry on bag is so that you will not make a liquid bomb.. Off course there is no limits on the size of your shampoo, lotions and so on in your checked luggage. This whole thing will come to an end when the technology allow scanning machines to identify whether a liquid is dangerous or not, which might be soon.

I do not take any liquids in my carry on bag anymore. I always took all these little bottles of everything and never really used it. They have soap to wash your hands on the plane, and we are not going to wash our hair while travelling. .

Archived