Where to stay when job hunting?

Kevin Hoyle

Hi

I will probably be flying in to Sydney on the 19 September and am hoping to have interviews lined up by then. Started responding to advertisements last night.

Have no family, have no friends.... in Sydney. :ilikeit:

Where would be the best and cheapest place to stay to get around for interviews?

Is a car essential, or could I get around on public transport? I am guessing the car is the best way to go for maximum flexibility. Buy or hire?

Want to conserve as much of my overdraft as possible until finding a job. :offtopic:

Thanks

Kevin

I'm pretty much in the same position as you, however I have visited Sydney before. Personally I don't think a car is essential, as you can get around with public transport. As for a place to stay, I am also looking at the moment. I am considering backpackers or couchsurfing as those are the cheapest means to stay unless you can get someone to let you stay with, but in my experience, it's not gonna be easy. Hope this helps.

Do check the couch surfing website, would love to know about someone who has used it. Otherwise check out this hostel in Cleveland Street in Surry Hills Sydney, very central and vibey. The hostel is Sinclairs, Toitjie stayed there recently on her LSD.

They seem very reasonable for central Sydney, you may even see if you can get a discount for staying for a month, seeing that it is not their high season. No car needed in Sydney, we only got one 3 weeks ago after 7 months here.

http://www.wotif.com/hotel/View?hotel=W477...=&startDay=

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

I will probably be flying in to Sydney on the 19 September and am hoping to have interviews lined up by then. Started responding to advertisements last night.

Have no family, have no friends.... in Sydney. :(

Where would be the best and cheapest place to stay to get around for interviews?

Is a car essential, or could I get around on public transport? I am guessing the car is the best way to go for maximum flexibility. Buy or hire?

Want to conserve as much of my overdraft as possible until finding a job. :ilikeit:

Thanks

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I am moving closer to work on the 26th of September 09 and my 2 bedroom apartment will be available on the 28th of September 09 after inspection (check out my post unther General and communities NSW Sydney) from today. The weekly rent is $ 350.00 and a one month bond is payable to the estate agent.

If you need a place earlier to stay I could offer you one room until I move out on the 26th of September. Regarding furniture we can make a plan together.

The Unit is just three walking min far away from the major Trainstation (Hornsby) and a car is not necessary. You easily can catch the express train to town. I still haven't bought myself a car and I save heaps on money. If interested PM me. :-)

ciao,

You will be able to find a 3 star hotel for around $80 - $100 a night in and around the city ... can give you a couple of names, or search wotif or lastminute.com.au or expedia.com.au or webjet.com.au. If your budget is less then I would also suggest backpackers or couch surfing but not sure how practical sleeping on a couch is the night before 'n big interview. No need for a car, today is my 18 month arriving in Sydney anniversary, no car for 18 months and no worries to date, mate!

Hi All

Thanks for all the advice.

There has been a slight change in plans. :holy:

My wife and daughter decided to join me, and we have booked our IOM tickets flying out 26 Sept, arriving 27th in Sydney.

Booked in at the Airport Holiday Inn for the Sunday night.

And if I can get Standard Bank to accept the Invoice from the rental for an account transfer, we should be staying close to Bondi Beach for the first 10 days. Costing $100/night.

Courtesy of http://www.stayz.com.au

Now I am searching the net for the rest of October and November.

Oh, my 6 year old daughter is being met at the airport by one of her friends. She has more friends in Australia then we do. :)

Hi All

Kevin,

Just a word of advice mate, give yourself a couple of days before going for those interviews, especially the important ones!

A mate of mine emmigrated to NZ last years and had all his "I really want this job" interviews in the first 4 days that he was there.

He stuffed them all up, mixed up his info, didn't know the what the companies did etc!!!

This was the result of Jet lag, you don't really know how badly it will affect you, but it does in the wierdest ways, so give yourself - if possible - some

time to rest and adjust to the timezone differences

I flew to Detroit (18 hrs one way) 10 months ago for a week on business and I was like a zombie, still don't know how I got through the 6 days I was there!

So, if you can give it a week or so before you go for any interviews

Archived