PR, citizenship etc

mitch-sa-uk-oz

Hi all, i need some light shed on this subject. I've been hearing alot of conflicting stories about the above. Are the laws changing as to how long it takes to get PR and citizenship? Any websites I can check to confirm the laws etc. How will it work for us, we will get a 457 visa and what happens once we are there?

Any help would be greeeeeeeaaaat.

Thanks in advance.

Mitch

At the moment you have to live and work in Australia for 2 years (excluding time spent outside Australia on holiday, etc.) before you can apply for citizenship. The government wants to change that to 4 years, but it has not been agreed upon yet...

You need to apply for PR then you need to wait (I believe it has just changed to 3 years) before you can apply for citizenship. Your employer can sponsor you for PR or you can apply for general skills visa if you have enough points. Check out immi.gov.au they will have all the info. Sorry haven't had a chance to do so myself let us know if you find out yourself.

Best of luck

Hi there,

There are a few ways to get PR, but the most common are either skilled independent (136) or the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS 121/856). A 136 visa utilises the points system and provided you meet the minimum points requirement (this ranges as the requirement is different for some of the regional areas) and pass the character / health checka, then you are granted the visa. It takes quite some time though. If you are already in Australia as a temporary resident and have 6 months work experience, then you can also claim an extra 5 points.

For the ENS scheme, there is no point system The criteria are that you need to have been working in Australia as a sponsored employee (in a specific occupation) for a period of 2 years, the last 12 of which must be with the employer that is now sponoring you., OR, you need to employed in a highly paid senior executive position with a base salary of more than $165K pa, OR you need to have your skills assessed as suitable plus have 3 years experience in the occupation. The skills assessing authorities are different for the various occupations, so you’ll need to check out who the right one is for you.

You can apply for citizenship after you have been a permanent resident for 2 years. This is currently under review, but at this stage, I don’t believe it has changed.

Hope this helps!

Hi Mitch

Just done my medical, X-rays and HIV test in Sydney this morning. My future employer suggested we apply for a 457 as this can be issued in 4 - 8 weeks, valid for 2 years, but once you have that can immediately apply for ENS 785 (I think) for PR. The latter may take 4 - 6 months to issue.

If you are not already in Australia, then you can go do the medicals etc and applic for Police Clearance yourself (Its a lot cheaper that way), then if you find an employer to sponsor you with the minimum of $42,000 py with super and medicare, then you are a for away. This could be done even if you do not have the number of points required.

I am not saying the point system does not work or that the migration agents does not help, I just found that by doing it myself, I got it done a lot cheaper and faster and I bypassed the long route.

It all depend on how desperate you are. I found it extremely difficult applying for a job from SA, all NO answers. So I packed and pulled and landed - on my feet. Believe me, I am not looking back, I am pressing forward with all I have and South Africans are highly sought after because we are not shy to work, and the welcome on this side is just unbelievable. Even doing the medical this morning, 4 of the 11 staff members were ex-pats from SA.

Strongs. Stay on this site, the help is amazing from all whom contributes. At the end of the day, each case is different and unique and its your choice how and how fast you do it.

Hi all, i need some light shed on this subject. I've been hearing alot of conflicting stories about the above. Are the laws changing as to how long it takes to get PR and citizenship? Any websites I can check to confirm the laws etc. How will it work for us, we will get a 457 visa and what happens once we are there?

Any help would be greeeeeeeaaaat.

Thanks in advance.

Mitch

Hi Mitch,

At this stage it seems likely that the new citizenship legislation will not be in effect until around 1 July 07 or later. Watch the DIMIA website for updates. That means if you become a PR prior to the date it is passed, you will come under the current law provided you apply for citizenship within 3 years of the date the new laws come into effect. Current legislation requires you to be residing as a permanent resident for at least 2 years in the previous 5 years before applying, and at least 1 year out of the last 2 years immediately before applying for citizenship.

Fiona Carre

RMA 0638808

Gold Coast, Australia