Optometry

JennyG

Was wondering if optometry is expensive in Aus comparing to SA. I know dentistry is very expensive in Aus.

For those of you who wear contact lenses, did you get the same type in Aus?

What does it cost you roughly annually or monthly for contact lenses? I am specifically referring to the monthly disposable ones.

Heel toevallig was ons net gister Specsavers toe vir hubby vir n nuwe bril. Hul het nou weer n offer van twee brille vir dieselfde prys. Wel ons het toe besluit om net een bril te vat en daarom 25% afslag gekry op die ander bril. Rame se pryse wissel tusssen $59 tot $349. Ons het een van $199 gevat. Op die einde van die afspraak was die totaal $500. Dit sluit in tinting, lense, raam ens. Dit vat twee na 3 weke en dan het jy jou bril. Ons is op n 457 visa so moet als self betaal en dan kan ons als behalwe die raam terug eis van ons privaat medies. So as jy dit terug werk na rande is dit baie duur. Ek sal iemand aanraai om eerder vir n bril in SA te gaan voor jy oorkom. Dit gee jou darem iets van n voorsprong.

Dit is duur. My bril met lense was $1700 waarvan die raam $500 was. Privaat medies het in totaal $500 betaal en ek moes die remaining $1200 betaal. My sonbril was $500 waarvan privaat medies $300 betaal het en ek die res. My lense is baie spesifiek en die koste sal afhang van die tipe raam en lense wat jy vat. Gewone oog toets kos niks dit word betaal deur medicare as jy op PR is anders moet jy self betaal.

Hi there,

Before we left for Oz I actually got my glasses replaced due to me thinking it woudl be more expensive here.

Well as things worked out my glasses fell apart three weeks after we arrived. Dont ask me how? hehe

Not having medical aid at that stage I went to specsavers and got 2 paisr for $300. Ons normal pari and one perscription sunglasses.

They were friendly and very helpful. It took 5 days and I had my new glasses.

I would certainly recommend them.

Nats

Another thing that needs to be checked I guess!

Thanks guys!

Anyone know the average price of contacts? Mine is working me out R1,200 per year.

Jenny I dont wear them, but see that on the site specsavers.com.au they have all the prices there. may help you decide.

I just paid R2680.00 for an eye test and frame (no tint). The frame was R800

I had my eyes tested about 2 months ago.

The frame and lenses (I have a high prescription, so had to opt for the extra thin lenses) cost me approximately $490. Contact lenses were $178 for 6 months worth. We are on a 457 and the medical aid paid for everything, except the frame ($270, was also on a discount). The eye test was $65 (I think) and a follow-up appointment for a weeks trial contact lenses was $33. Medical aid paid for everything.

My glasses actually worked out more or less the same than what I paid in SA 4 years ago (R3500). Unfortunately, the type of contact lenses I used to wear aren't made anymore, so I had to switch to something else (hydrogel which allows more oxygen through to the eys). I am still getting use to the new lenses, they are a bit different. You can order your contact lenses online at a cheaper price, but I will need to get the details of a colleague first.

I brought a years lenses with when we first came and as the medical aid paid for it over here I wasn't out-of-pocket as much as I expected to be.