Accountants on the forum

clarry1

Can any of the accountants on the forum assist me?

We got our PR on 1 July 2009 and will be undertaking a validation holiday in November.

When my accounting qualifications were assessed they advised me that I met the requirements but would have to complete courses in Business Finance, Computer Information Systems and Company Law if I wished to be admitted to a professional body in Aus.

Has anyone registered for these courses, if so ,did you do so from inside or outside Aus. What were the costs? Is it cheaper to wait and register when we are settled in Aus. To whom did you speak? etc

Any assistance would be greatly aprreciated.

Hi Clarry1

Yip, I had identical subjects to do !

I did them through University of South Australia (UNISA) www.unisa.edu.au Can't remember exact $ amount, but it converted to about R12,000 per subject two years ago. Will be cheaper if you live in Oz when you enrol - I could not wait however.

We got our PR in April 2009, but will only relocate next year. I am finishing my CPA this year.

Rgds

W

Can any of the accountants on the forum assist me?

We got our PR on 1 July 2009 and will be undertaking a validation holiday in November.

When my accounting qualifications were assessed they advised me that I met the requirements but would have to complete courses in Business Finance, Computer Information Systems and Company Law if I wished to be admitted to a professional body in Aus.

Has anyone registered for these courses, if so ,did you do so from inside or outside Aus. What were the costs? Is it cheaper to wait and register when we are settled in Aus. To whom did you speak? etc

Any assistance would be greatly aprreciated.

Hi Clarry1

Yip, I had identical subjects to do !

I did them through University of South Australia (UNISA) www.unisa.edu.au Can't remember exact $ amount, but it converted to about R12,000 per subject two years ago. Will be cheaper if you live in Oz when you enrol - I could not wait however.

We got our PR in April 2009, but will only relocate next year. I am finishing my CPA this year.

Rgds

W

Thanks for the feedback Wizard, so those 3 subjects cost you R36K. How were they? I have not studied for some years now and wonder about the volume. By completing your CPA this year, I presume you mean that you are enrolled to write their Board Exam.

What does that cost and what course material and text books do you use to preapre for their board.

If you are interested in unloading your text books relative to the 3 courses that I need to do, please let me know as I would like to buy them to prepare. Will only enroll once there probably.

thanks again.

Thanks for the feedback Wizard, so those 3 subjects cost you R36K. How were they? I have not studied for some years now and wonder about the volume. By completing your CPA this year, I presume you mean that you are enrolled to write their Board Exam.

What does that cost and what course material and text books do you use to preapre for their board.

If you are interested in unloading your text books relative to the 3 courses that I need to do, please let me know as I would like to buy them to prepare. Will only enroll once there probably.

thanks again.

Hi again Clarry1

Pleasure re the feedback.

Yip, 3 subjects cost R36k + books. I would suggest that you buy fresh books in the year that you enrol, otherwise you might land up with outdated info that's out of sync with the programme.

CPA: see their website cpaaustralia.com.au In a nutshell, you have to pass 6 exams (CPA Program) + 3 years practical experience under a qualified mentor (Mentor Program). All the info is on the website.

Cheers and good luck

W

Hi,

My son had his skills assessed, or his qualifications I suppose, that cost $350, he has just completed his BComm Degree majoring in Accounting, then did his Honours. They said they recognise it all but he must do taxation and company law, it is an 11 week course, he just does in Correspondence and will go to CQ uni for the tests, that cost him a whopping $2800.

Jill

Hi,

My son had his skills assessed, or his qualifications I suppose, that cost $350, he has just completed his BComm Degree majoring in Accounting, then did his Honours. They said they recognise it all but he must do taxation and company law, it is an 11 week course, he just does in Correspondence and will go to CQ uni for the tests, that cost him a whopping $2800.

Jill

Hi Jill

Yip, education costs :) big bucks ..................but if you see it as an investment that will pay (good) dividends for the rest of your working life, then I suppose it makes sense :ilikeit: (anyway, that's my standard speech to myself when I pay the whopping fees :holy: ) :lol:

Rgds

W

I am also busy with CPA conversion. Remember CA and CPA are two diffident associations in Australia. To the best of my knowledge you can get full membership with both if you are a fully qualified CA in South Africa, standing member. If you are part qualified you need to jump through a couple of hoops (6 modules with CPA and Taxation and Corporation Law courses). Not sure about CA Australia. Another suggestion if you are a CA (SA), email SAICA's office in Sydney. They have setup shop here last year because of the numerous South African CA's in Australia.

Edited by Jannie

Hi Wizard,

Yes, that is very true, he used his money from his tax rebate to pay it, he said himself, what better an investment could he make, than educating himself, so I was so proud of him for thinking of it like that, I knew he had plans for that little boodle.

Jill