Drivers License

gerrieb

Hi,

It was mentioned to my wife that you can get a Australian drivers license in South Africa, is there any through in the comment?

Sorry, no truth..... :blink:

It just goes to show that you can't always believe everything you hear in S.A. about Australia. . . . .

. . . . just as well you're free to check on any sort of information with the folk on this website :blink:

As it turns out, Gerrie, you'll have to sit a "theory" test which is a multiple choice question paper and then, later on, a "practical" test which involves driving around a course with a licence tester alongside you in the front of the car. . . . this is for holders of a South African driving licence.

If you are one of those privileged to get their hands on a British or New Zealand driving licence, you just stroll in and exchange it for an Australian driving licence after paying the fee. . . . no further test required!

Edited by Bob

Hi there

If you intend to stay in Queensland, though, you have to sit a written test before you can transfer your NZ lisence to Queensland one. Quite confusing, the give way rules in the test, if you lived in NZ for a while... :blink:

THANX for all the help

SO being South African, surviving crazed Gauteng roadrage lunatics, dodging taxis and hijackers, missing potholes and cows at 140 kms an hour doesn't do anything to convince the australians of our ability to drive?! :unsure:

THANX for all the help

SO being South African, surviving crazed Gauteng roadrage lunatics, dodging taxis and hijackers, missing potholes and cows at 140 kms an hour doesn't do anything to convince the australians of our ability to drive?! :unsure:

Lol gerrieb... i wish!!!! If only they tried it hey???

If you are one of those privileged to get their hands on a British or New Zealand driving licence, you just stroll in and exchange it for an Australian driving licence after paying the fee. . . . no further test required!

• 2 weeks later...
THANX for all the help

SO being South African, surviving crazed Gauteng roadrage lunatics, dodging taxis and hijackers, missing potholes and cows at 140 kms an hour doesn't do anything to convince the australians of our ability to drive?! ;)

Hi there

I have tried to get SA on the recognised country list. I visited http://www.austroads.com.au/overseas.html and have tried to contact the Department of Transport to assist in lodging an application for SA to be on the list. However, I received limited response. We do fulfil the minimum requirements for getting recognised. Does anyone know how countries like the UK, NZ, Germany, France recognise our SA licences. Do you think that the SA Dept. of Transport lodged an application for SA to be recognised?

We moved from RSA to the UK and were able to swop our drivers' licence. Then we moved to Australia (WA) and were able to swop the UK for the WA licence. ;)

What about if one gets an international drivers licence whilst still in SA - I believe that this is valid for a year. Must one still sit the exams then?

Thanks

Lee

In South Australia: The International Drivers Licence is mainly required if you rent a vehicle (as far as I know). You may use your RSA Drivers Licence as long as it is valid and while on a temporary visa. As soon as you obtain a permanent visa then you have to sit the theory test and do practical within three months. It is not too difficult and the theory test can be practiced on the RAA website before you write it. ;)

I think SA should still not be on the recognised list, as when you are in SA, we all get away with too many 'chances'. I drove in cities there everyday, but only really learnt the proper meaning of law inforcement in the UK. Still think its unfair that they UK gives you a UK license after a while, and Oz doesn't if you come directly from SA....

Maybe they are reluctant because of the corruption in SA... unfair, I know, to the wetsgehoorsame burgers as they say ;)

Edited by Saffer-in-UK