Brief in Beeld uit Sydney van A de Villiers

FaerieG

Question

Ons het reeds in SA die Pa se storie gelees en dit is altyd goed om ook die anderkant te hoor.

Pa het nie moeite gedoen om in veilige Sydney aan te pas nie

A. de Villiers, Sydney, Australië, skryf:

Edited by Cindylou
inserted link to website

15 answers to this question

Jip, kan maar net wonder wat het deur sy gedagtes gegaan....

Tried to read it, someone keen to give a quick translation please.

Hi Jill,

The article is basically about a dad who after only 3 months, went back to SA from Sydney, with two kids and his wife.

The writer feels that the dad did not attempt in any way to try and fit into the new culture, and that

three months is way too short to give up. The mom and kids seemed happy enough to stay in Sydney.

Chocolate

We have friends that went back to SA from Sydney after only 3 months and 3 months later they were back in Sydney, realising they gave up too soon. They are now committed to making it work and are very happy in Sydney.

All of us know it is difficult and it may be more difficult for some people than other, but you have to make an effort and give it some time too. I personally experienced a huge change in lifestyle, for the better, but it still took me a while to get used to it.

Let's hope they sort it out.

Jip, kan maar net wonder wat het deur sy gedagtes gegaan....

Ek moes smile vir die "papbroek-boelie" aanmerking. :D Daar is maar sulke mans, niks wat mens daaraan kan doen nie. Hy het ook miskien sy redes gehad, en ons ken nie die hele storie nie. Jammer vir die kinders en vrou wat graag wou bly in Australia. :(

As ek die oorspronklike artikel reg onthou het die ma nie eers geweet hulle kom nie terug nie. Hy het die kinders terug gevat en net laat weet hy kom nie terug nie al het hy retoer kaartjies gekoop. Verstaan nie hoe mens dit doen. Hy is geregtig daarop om ongelukkig te wees maar om iemand so af te pers met haar kinders. Klink of hy goed sal doen as 'n union rep in SA.

We have been in Australia 4 years this month and like most migrants have had our share of ups and downs. Last month we went back to SA to visit family. It was good to go back as a "tourist" because that is what we felt as soon as we landed into the chaos of OR Tambo airport-much pushing,shoving,shouting,insufficient forms and very bored officials chewing gum!!!!

The development going on in SA is phenomenal-they are making a big push for the World Cup Soccer,roads,bridges,stadiums and of course the new G train( although not much actual work going on at the time as most workers were out on strike while we were there, demanding extra money. Hard to reconcile when there are still so many people out of work !!)

The malls are beautiful- as well stocked as ever and very very busy. The game parks are breath taking and the country looks very busy. But what stood out for us was the ever widening gap between the haves and have nots-everywhere we went there seemd to be so many poor people just waiting around. Maybe is was just so much more obvious to us after 4 years in Oz ?

We found that the cost of living in SA had jumped incredibly in the last 4 years (although great for us with dollars) hard to see how the average working family can get through the month.

And of course the crime-I had forgotten what is was like to live behind high walls,security fences,burglar bars,watch dogs and security alarms!! We hated the feeling of having to remember to lock your car doors, take extra care at the ATM and all those other little precautions that had become so much part and parcel of our lives in SA.

We stepped off the aeroplane at Perth and gave a huge breath of delight-we were HOME and what a fabulous feeling it was. Yes there is crime here-nowhere is the Garden of Eden but it is just not in the same category as SA. I relish walking my dog to the park in the evenings, having a picnic on the beach, walking through town window shopping-things like that wouldn't even be a thought in SA. Yes,we miss our family but we are so pleased to have this opportunity to build a new life in Australia-where money is worth something,the security is so much better,our children are not at a disadvantage because of the colour of their skins and where we can grow old in relative peace and safety!!

Hi

An update for anyone that followed this story.

The mother has been awarded custody of her two sons. She will be returning to Sydney on 19 September with them.

This is the first time a mother(parent) has been awarded custody of the children and allowed to take them out of the country before a divorce settlement.

Cheers

B

Did she get shared or full custody? If it is shared, she still needs his consent to remove the kids. Was it in the news?

Smart judge in deed!

How selfish of the husband to take them back to SA. (I say that presuming she is a fit mother to the children etc. Nothing indicates to me that she isn't)

Hi Everyone,

I can't seem to find the actual article of this and I would like to get in touch with the mom of the children now living in Sydney. Does anyone know the mom or have any more information on this? Any information will be helpful. Please email me at pippa[at]saustralia[dot]org

Many thanks.

Pippa! X