New problem causing me distress

Goldie

Hi

All of a sudden I have a problem which is causing me worry and embarrassment. I know I need to see a doctor and speak to him, but I've been putting this off. I think having a medical background doesn't help sometimes.......you imagine the worst.

Over the past couple of months I've had this thing where I take a mouthful of food and as soon as I swallow, the food lodges in my throat. It actually feels like it's stuck in my chest area cause it is extremely painful. My throat feels like it's closing up and I can't breathe properly. I don't choke as such, but have to excuse myself and end up being sick (sorry, gross I know :ilikeit: ). Sometimes this relieves it , but the next bite does the same thing, or even taking a sip of a drink or water causes the whole sensation again. Other times I am able to carry on with my meal with no problems after the initial episode.

The worst part is that this very seldomly happens at home. Instead it seems to happen when we are out in public places. Last night we were at a local Tavern for a friend's birthday and this happened after my first mouthful of food. I couldn't eat anything after that and it ruined the entire evening cause I was back and forward to the bathroom, battling to breathe. It's now got to the stage where I don't want to eat in public.

I have tried to pin point specific foods and had thought it was steak (as it happens a lot with meat), but then it happened with hot chips the one day and another time with bacon and eggs.

The fact that it happens when we are out is also weird. The truth is that it's only ever happened twice at home. Once when we were still in SA (we had just started the visa process and I was quite stressed) and another time when we had friends over. I can also go weeks without it happening and then it can happen 2 or 3 times in a row. So there can't be a blockage, else it would happen everytime I ate. I don't suffer from heartburn or reflux (that I know of), which I know can damage the oesophegous

Anyone ever had this happen or know anyone who's had this? I'm trying to avoid the whole camera down my throat thing, which is what is going to happen if I go to the doc. I'm not really an anxious person, but THIS is making me anxious now.

Thanks

Candice

Stress maybe Candice? A friend of mind had similar symptoms

and it was stress related.........

Hope you get to the bottom of it!

Erica

Stress can do the weirdest things to ones health. I really think you should go get it checked out. I know its hard but you will be alot less stressed when you know that its nothing to worry about.

Good Luck

Yeah I know. I'll make an appointment next week after I've got the dreaded licence out of the way. I also feel it's more of a stress thing, especially seen as it doesn't happen all the time.

Thanks guys

Hi

All of a sudden I have a problem which is causing me worry and embarrassment. I know I need to see a doctor and speak to him, but I've been putting this off. I think having a medical background doesn't help sometimes.......you imagine the worst.

Over the past couple of months I've had this thing where I take a mouthful of food and as soon as I swallow, the food lodges in my throat. It actually feels like it's stuck in my chest area cause it is extremely painful. My throat feels like it's closing up and I can't breathe properly. I don't choke as such, but have to excuse myself and end up being sick (sorry, gross I know :ilikeit: ). Sometimes this relieves it , but the next bite does the same thing, or even taking a sip of a drink or water causes the whole sensation again. Other times I am able to carry on with my meal with no problems after the initial episode.

The worst part is that this very seldomly happens at home. Instead it seems to happen when we are out in public places. Last night we were at a local Tavern for a friend's birthday and this happened after my first mouthful of food. I couldn't eat anything after that and it ruined the entire evening cause I was back and forward to the bathroom, battling to breathe. It's now got to the stage where I don't want to eat in public.

I have tried to pin point specific foods and had thought it was steak (as it happens a lot with meat), but then it happened with hot chips the one day and another time with bacon and eggs.

The fact that it happens when we are out is also weird. The truth is that it's only ever happened twice at home. Once when we were still in SA (we had just started the visa process and I was quite stressed) and another time when we had friends over. I can also go weeks without it happening and then it can happen 2 or 3 times in a row. So there can't be a blockage, else it would happen everytime I ate. I don't suffer from heartburn or reflux (that I know of), which I know can damage the oesophegous

Anyone ever had this happen or know anyone who's had this? I'm trying to avoid the whole camera down my throat thing, which is what is going to happen if I go to the doc. I'm not really an anxious person, but THIS is making me anxious now.

Thanks

Candice

please seek medical advice!!!!!

Hi Candice,

A friend of mine's 12 year old daughter has recently suffered from the same problem. They migrated to OZ just over a year ago and her problem started about 6 months later.

She was diagnosed as suffering from anxiety attacks.

One under estimates the impact and toll that the whole migration process has on oneself. Please do try and seek out somebody to talk to - I would put money on it that your issue is more mental, then physical. And the more you fret about what may happen the next time you eat, drink etc, the more likely you are to suffer another attack.

Take care of yourself and best wishes!!

Lee

chew before you swallow and the docter says try not to stack your mouth full try smaller pieces and then swallow

just joking hope you get well soon

Candice.. you need to seek medical advice and you know it. Stop being a typical medical person and DO WHAT YOU KNOW IS RIGHT! Yes it may be stress...and Yes it may NOT be stress but you will get more stressed NOT knowing what you are dealing with no matter what the final diagnosis is. We handle things we know - Not things we think!!! I am sure you will need a scope or barium swallow......so you may need to wait for that too..... START the ball rolling PLEASE!

Now a HUGE big hug for you and I am thinking of you...and waiting to hear what the doctor says!!!

Love K

The poor 12 year old girl, Freetobe! It's scary enough when it happens as an adult, let alone a child. Shame, I hope she's ok now?

Martin you probably aren't far off. I talk the hind leg off a donkey, so probably too much talking and not enough chewing...lol.

Mom (K) and Pops (Sugan).......... I promise I will make an appointment next week. K I know you are right. I really hate going to doctors though, so I always put it off. Must have been all the years at Addies. I saw and heard too much :ilikeit: ...lol.

Will let you know the outcome.

Thanks guys

Candice

Could be Canola oil or Soy oil that was used for the frying of the food. Canola oil is extremely toxic and I have no idea why they sell it in Australia. A lot of people are becoming allergic to Soy products.

Antibiotics and hormones that are pumped into meat would easily cause a reaction when when the meat is eaten. Also all the preservatives they spray on the meat wouldn't help with allergies.

We have been in this process for 4 years and I ended up at the doctor to get put on happy pills 6 months ago. He says Emigration is THE MOST stressful thing anyone can experience!!!!!!!

Thanks all for your replies. I am leaning towards the stress/anxiety thing being the cause. Even though most of our stresses seem to be a thing of the past now that we have PR and have moved to where we want to be, I am the type that seems to handle while the stress is actually happening, but often crumble afterwards when I no longer have anything to stress about (silly me). Last night I ate a full meal out at a BBQ with no mishaps. In my mind if it were a physical problem like a block or stricture, it would happen every time I ate a bulky meal???????

Sirus thanks for your PM and the info. Very interesting too. I used canola oil and margarine, so might need to keep an eye on this. I developed an intolerance to ALL dairy when I was 18 and couldn't tough a drop or anything with dairy in it for years. I would break out in hives. This cleared when I fell pregnant with my first child. I now eat dairy, but wonder if maybe the intolerance hasn't come back but in another form.

I will still go and have it checked out properly.

Thanks again

Candice

Friend of my wife had the same problems, and it turned out to be ulcers in the throat caused by stress. Ether way, you need to go see a doctor pronto!

It can also be a problem with your valves not closing properly. An ex-colleague of mine in SA had this problem, she had a small operation, but always had to eat small bites and very slowely afterwards.

We are so stupid for not wanting to go to doctors. Since we've been here, I had to go the most of our family and in all cases I was really helped with getting the right diagnosis and treatments and nobody was nasty to me or bit me!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Candice it has been a few weeks since this post and was wondering if you went to the Doc and how are things? If not this is definately anxiety related and is a very common thing. Something I have had in the past and also working in the medical field. What you have been through and are still going through is not an easy thing and this is why you are suffering from anxiety. You may need to take a mild anxiety tablet when you go out for dinner. the reason why it is happeniong every time is because you get anxious that it is going to happen again. I went on mild tabs and they worked wonders. Hope things are going well with you and your family now.

Lisa

Was also wondering how you were doing. Hope it's going well.

Hope the kids are over their flu!

I'm very embarrassed to say I never did go to the doctor. The family all got sick and I had the dreaded drivers to get through, so I put it off. It only happened twice after I posted this topic and then it hasn't happened again. I felt it coming on once or twice, but seemed able to psych myself out of it. I am now more convinced than ever that it was as Lisa (and others) says and is anxiety related. But, if it ever happens again, I will be at the doctor's door in a flash.

Thanks for caring people :ilikeit:

A colleague of mine had a similar problem, food got stuck in his throat, it turned out that he had cancer.