Gingerbread house recipe

sonnetjie

We bake a Gingerbread house for Christmas every year thought I might share the recipe. Be great if people would share their Christmas baking recipes, thought that it would help get us all into the season. We usually get the whole family to chip in with the decorating. Making the gingerbread house is as easy as pie. I usually use the Nordicware gingerbread house mold here You can buy them at most local kitchen shops in Sydney.

Gingerbread house recipe (You need to x3 the recipe if you want to bake the entire house using the Nordicware mould

1 1/2 cups sweet rice flour or glutinous rice flour (you can buy it in Woolworths in the Asian section)

1 1/2 cups sorghum flour, or Maltabella porridge

2 teaspoons xanthum gum or guar gum

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt (don’t add the salt if you’re making use of the maltabella porridge as salt is already added to the porridge)

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 cup grape seed oil (grape seed oil is great for baking if you need to replace butter in a recipe as it is tasteless)

1/2 cup sugar (blend the sugar in your coffee grinder to make a fine powder or just use castor sugar)

1/2 cup = 1/ 4 cup honey + 1/ 4 golden syrup

2 eggs

Sift the maltabella porridge x2 . Mix all the dry ingredients together. Mix the eggs with the oil and honey & golden syrup. Add to dry ingredients and mix well. Use cook & spray and spray the gingerbread mould. Fill the mould with the mixture. You can wet your fingers to just pat the mixture into the mould, as the mixture is very sticky. Bake for 20-22 min. and let the gingerbread house cool for 10 minutes before taking it out of the mould and letting it dry on the wire rack. Stick the house together with frosting.

Icing (makes 5-6cups)

3 whites eggs

½ tsp cream of tartar

4 ½ cups confectionary sugar

Water

In a bowl using your Kenwood, combine the egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar and salt. Beat on medium to high speed until the icing mixture forms stiff peaks and is nearly triple in volume, 7-8 minutes. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and store at room temperature. Before using, beat I water (medium to high speed) by tablespoonfuls, until desired consistency is reached.

Edited by sonnetjie

Hi there

Does anyone know where you can buy the kit to make the gingerbread house. I mean all baked etc and then you just do the lollies etc and built it. I know some of the bakeries sell the houses built etc but last year the churches sold the kits. I would love to get hold of a few. I am on the North Shore, Sydney?

Sa2auz

Accoutrement Cook Shops ( will post the mold to you)

Mosman 611 Military Rd 2088

(02) 9969 1031

The Red Pepper ( did sell the mould but they sold out, you could ring and ask if they have received any more stock)

Shp 66/ 166 Mona Vale Rd St Ives 2075

(02) 9144 7813

I would suggest you try the Baverian Bakehouse Arthur the owner usually does a number of gingerbread houses to order if I remember correctly. Otherwise try La Petite Lorraine in St Ives they also sell gingerbread houses. So far we have always baked our own gingerbread house ever Christmas.

Edited by sonnetjie

Thanks so much for that. I will pop up tomorrow and have a look at Red Pepper.

Happy Baking