Been back for a holiday lately

Joeemm

Question

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone has been back to South Africa for a holiday recently? Any comments on the safety/crime general feeling of the place? I hear the airport (JHB) is particulary bad for crime. How long did you go for, My family there is all over the place, so (we're thinking 2 weeks) our trip would be like 3 days in each city JHB, CT,Krugersdorp. No time (or money for that matter) for game reserves etc.

My wife's mom has a significant birthday next year and she (understandablly) wants to go see her (and the family of course). I'm very nervous of taking my son (will be 1and 1/2 or so ) there.

Appreciate any comments of costs as well. Right now it looks like a 'blerry' ;-) expensive trip. I reckon I'd rather take the family to Europe or Canada with the money. But of course there is the family issue...

I know it may seem silly, but recent arrivals tell me things have got worse crime wise, some people there tell me its not so bad, (although nothing works and corruption is systemic)

Any pointes appreciated

19 answers to this question

Hi Joeemm,

My cousin just came down from Perth for a holiday. Just her and her 2 daughters, of which the youngest was 7 months and things were fine. Had a nice visit with family and friends. However, you still need to be vigilant.

I don't think it should be a problem for you wife and kids coming for a visit, especially if she's staying with family or friends.

Hi Michele

Thanks for your input, I hope a few more forumites put in their 2 cents worth to give me a better idea of the current situation

Just got back a couple of days ago, stayed in Jhb and Durban, we didn't have any problems but still didn't relax and was always looking around. I would say that the crime is bad - what we read in the papers. My husband still lives there so we go back often and it's always great to be back here.

I think the most important thing is to be cautious - lock car doors, keep windows closed (or almost closed). But generally speaking things are ok and I am sure you will have a good visit over here.

Thanks guys, good to hear you've had +ve experiences in South Africa. Would be nice to see the family again, of course knowing we'll be coming back home to Perth :-)

Thanks guys, good to hear you've had +ve experiences in South Africa. Would be nice to see the family again, of course knowing we'll be coming back home to Perth :-)

Hi there, must sound strange the first time you go back, and then refer to 'coming home' when coming

back to Australia.......I still refer to S.A as home....when does one make that 'complete break' I wonder??

Erica :(

Hi Michele

Thanks for your input, I hope a few more forumites put in their 2 cents worth to give me a better idea of the current situation

I asked exactly the same question (check under TRAVEL). I have not been back in 11 years. :lol: and will go this December. I understand how you feel, I also feel kind of nervous going back for a visit. I also do not agree that when you are with family and friends you will be safer. One just has to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. (my sister was robbed at gunpoint in her home a couple of weeks ago) Important is to know all the do's and dont's which has been mentioned over and over, we know them by now. Wish you a safe and wonderful journey back to SA.

Edited by bluebonnet

I think the most important thing is to be cautious - lock car doors, keep windows closed (or almost closed). But generally speaking things are ok and I am sure you will have a good visit over here.

Keep your windows CLOSED. Then they cannot use pepper spray.

There was a theory that it helps if your window is a little open against smash and grab. Get yourself anti smash and grab.

Do NOT put ANYTHING (handbags, bags) on the seat. Put everything in the boot (trunk). Do not flash jewellary or money. Be on the lookout at intersections and do not fiddle with the radio or be on your mobile. Cover your mobile that they cannot see it. When you stop at intersection, leave a car length gap between you and the car in front of you and check for an escape route.

It they hijack you, do what they say, give your car, do not confront them. Negotiate to get the kids out. Check if you are not followed.

It is not that bad ... uhh

Keep your windows CLOSED. Then they cannot use pepper spray.

There was a theory that it helps if your window is a little open against smash and grab. Get yourself anti smash and grab.

Do NOT put ANYTHING (handbags, bags) on the seat. Put everything in the boot (trunk). Do not flash jewellary or money. Be on the lookout at intersections and do not fiddle with the radio or be on your mobile. Cover your mobile that they cannot see it. When you stop at intersection, leave a car length gap between you and the car in front of you and check for an escape route.

It they hijack you, do what they say, give your car, do not confront them. Negotiate to get the kids out. Check if you are not followed.

It is not that bad ... uhh

Anti smash and grab it will be. :) Funny, first I thought "anti smash and grab" is something one can buy to protect yourself.

My wife and I travel regularly to SA (Cape Town) for family vacations. If you use big city common sense you should be ok. We've had no issues the past 6 years.

My biggest concern is actually from other drivers on the road - especially the taxis. Getting into an accident does seem to be a big risk IMHO.

Hi all

Thanks as usual everyone has been very helpfull and I'm glad to say positive about visiting SA.

Erica , Maybe it's just me but by the time I left SA it felt very much like the country did not want me there anymore, Australia was welcoming from day one, so although I will always feel a strong bond with South Africa, the people and the land (as we all do) I really find it stange to speak of going 'home' rather just going back to the country I happend to have been born in. Odd hey :-)

I do hope that when my son is old enough to appreciate the African wilderness we can go together and see the incredible African Bush (there is no where else like it) :-)

I would really recommend you look into getting Travel Health Insurance - when we lived in SA our Medical Aid covered us for overseas holidays but our Private Health cover here does not (not sure if that's the case across the board or just our company). If I was going to SA with my family I would certainly "invest" in it as I would hate to be subjected to a govt hospital - unless they've undergone a marked transformation in the 18 months since I left.

We are still in SA so I may not be looking at things with the same perspective. When you live here your survival instincts are in full swing, so i dont consciously keep thinking be careful look behind you, be aware I am doing it subconsciously. We still enjoy a great life here despite all the obvious problems. All I can say is you know you have to be cautious and you will be, come and enjoy all the wonderful things that SA still offer, dont let fear cloud what is going to be a fantastic holiday. I suppose once I am in Oz for a few years I will be asking the same questions

We are going back to Cape Town in February for a months holiday to catch up with family and friends whom we haven't seen in years. Hubby hasn't been back in 9yrs and I haven't been back in 6yrs. Very nervous I must admit. :ilikeit:

I went back in March. It was a quick trip and it was just me and my son who went. It was stressful, and I was hypervigilint(probally overly so) when we were there. Locking doors and scanning driveways before we stopped etc. I don't know how long its been since you went back, we had been out of SA for a year and some months and WOW was everything VERY expensive. I thought it would be a 'cheap' holiday, but landed up spending way more then I anticipated.

I spent most of the time in Durban, with a quick trip to Jhb on the way back HOME (Aus became home to me when I went to SA and realised I couldn't wait to get home! (Aus) ) I met a friend while in Jhb and had to drive myself there WOW, I could literally feel the tension and aggressiveness on the road! It felt almost suffocating and I felt very tense! And this is from someone who drove everywhere in joburg from one client to another.

Enjoy the trip back though, its very good to catch up with family and friends, and its no use just being stressed out all the time, just be careful and aware.

Candice

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone has been back to South Africa for a holiday recently? Any comments on the safety/crime general feeling of the place? I hear the airport (JHB) is particulary bad for crime. How long did you go for, My family there is all over the place, so (we're thinking 2 weeks) our trip would be like 3 days in each city JHB, CT,Krugersdorp. No time (or money for that matter) for game reserves etc.

My wife's mom has a significant birthday next year and she (understandablly) wants to go see her (and the family of course). I'm very nervous of taking my son (will be 1and 1/2 or so ) there.

Appreciate any comments of costs as well. Right now it looks like a 'blerry' ;-) expensive trip. I reckon I'd rather take the family to Europe or Canada with the money. But of course there is the family issue...

I know it may seem silly, but recent arrivals tell me things have got worse crime wise, some people there tell me its not so bad, (although nothing works and corruption is systemic)

Any pointes appreciated

hi There

listen mate when you go back for a holiday its always great!

I've been there in Dec and Jan and it was good-in fact its always great to visit SA.

Its amazing that you switch back immediately into SA mode and you dont notice the gates etc.

You just live like the locals and you'll have a great time

I am really looking forward to the holiday and we will probably slot in as though we had never left :ilikeit: I am sure we are also going to see a huge change as far as development is concerned. Will definitely have to be vigilant tho. Thankfully flying direct to Cape Town and only stopping over in JHB for an hour for a re-fuel. Hubby is probably also being over cautious and wants me to leave all my jewellery here in OZ !!! :whome: