mimi: Mixed emotions!

mimi

Hi there fellow ozzies...and all the wannabees like me!

In 2002 we acquired our first visas - we had to be "in" by 2007...unfortunately life doesn't always work out the way we want it to. So, we have recently started our second...NEW application! Age is also not on our side so we have to apply for a 176! Fortunately my former skills application is still valid! But yes now the English test has come along.

If all goes well we will be going to Brisbane and would enter Oz in Dec 2011. I know time is going to fly and it has been great reading all the posts on the forum. I will use this forum more frequently in future as you guys have "been there, and got the t-shirt". This is great - thanx!

We are writing the language test in august. It has been 10 years since i have written anything! Gonna make use of the advice I found elwewhere on site...

Cheers

Welcome to the forum! Good luck and best wishes for the journey ahead!

Hi, Mimi ! Welcome and enjoy the ride - be careful, this forum gets addictive ... :)

Welcome Mimi... I so understand how you feel. We ALMOST did not go....but we accepted that we saw the light and now the plans are full steam ahead and we leave at the end of Sept. (Visas expire on 8 Oct so fine cut!) Also age not on our side so we had to apply for an employer sponsored PR visa.. too old for the 175/176

Good luck with your englisgh test. It si not bad at all...just stressful.

K

Hi there, and yes WELCOME to the forum!!!

Erica :)

Welcome Mimi,

Most of us understand the mixed emotions - especially when age is against us and its now or never !!

The IELTS test is not difficult - so good luck.

Welkom Mimi!

Alles van die beste met julle visa aansoek!

Partykeer staan die tyd stil, soos wanneer mens wag vir 'n Case Officer, maar die tyd gaan regtig vinnig verby.

Hoop jy geniet die forum!

Hi

I am amazed at the amount of replies! Thanx 2 u all. I am sure that you understand the feelings I am experiencing, but since I have been browsing the forum I have realised i am not ALONE...and that we all basically have same questions, concerns and emotions. Its like riding a wave...you just have 2 go with the flow!

The US was an option for us - but let me tell you, that was a DAUNTING excersise! And although I still believe it to be a great country, the mere fact that they actually DON'T want you there makes it less appealing. All the literature, the forum etc. makes Oz a much "friendlier" option...and there are not 50+ states to choose from!

I have read some posts on the job scenario in Queensland and must say this has raised concerns. I hope the economic situation world wide is gonna start changing in the next 2 years - hardship is every where! We would need to sell our property in SA before we leave at end 2011...but the housing market must turn slightly before we can consider this! And as I stated, time is not on our side! So much needs to happen in the next 24 months.

Anybody in Queensland with kids in secondary school? I would love some advice on the transition - my kinders is ook tans in afrikaanse skole, sal hulle so bes moontlik wil voorberei vir nuwe skools stelsel?

Regards

M :ilikeit:

Welcome Mimi... I so understand how you feel. We ALMOST did not go....but we accepted that we saw the light and now the plans are full steam ahead and we leave at the end of Sept. (Visas expire on 8 Oct so fine cut!) Also age not on our side so we had to apply for an employer sponsored PR visa.. too old for the 175/176

Good luck with your englisgh test. It si not bad at all...just stressful.

K

Hi K

Sure things are hectic. Good luck with all the final arrangements. What industry/occupation are you in? Do you have kiddies going with you? Where in Brisbane, which suburb are you movin 2?

Hope you don't mind all the Q!! :ilikeit:

Regards

M

Hi M.. I am a Radiographer. Will be working in Chemside which I believe is 10km north of Brisbane. No problem with the Qs at all. I have a 20y old son going with and 24y old married daughter who is staying behind. Going to be a lot of tears at the airpost on 30th.

K

Hi

I have read some posts on the job scenario in Queensland and must say this has raised concerns.

Anybody in Queensland with kids in secondary school? I would love some advice on the transition - my kinders is ook tans in afrikaanse skole, sal hulle so bes moontlik wil voorberei vir nuwe skools stelsel?

Regards

M :ilikeit:

Hi

I work with a man who is Afrikaans speaking and brought children in yr 12 and 9. He says they have settled in fine even with all the challenges and are very happy. He said they were not keen to come, but now dont want to return. Most schools will give extra assistance if required and asked for.

We have had children in private and now in state schools and they are doing great. As an excercise try speaking English (the whole family for a day or two).

When I was at school I struggled with Afrikaans and was sent to live on a farm and the rule was NO ENGLISH. After 2 weeks I returned home "thinking in Afrikaans". Unfortunately it got lost as soon as I left school.

In Mackay we met many Afrikaans speaking families. The children adapt very quickly, to the point that a few parents were sad their children had almost totally switched over to English

As to the QLD Brisbane economy, cars sales were through the roof and house prices have started to increase again. That said many companies are cautious of hiring

Hi M.. I am a Radiographer. Will be working in Chemside which I believe is 10km north of Brisbane. No problem with the Qs at all. I have a 20y old son going with and 24y old married daughter who is staying behind. Going to be a lot of tears at the airpost on 30th.

K

Hi K

I think leaving the family behind must be the most difficult part of it all! I have 2 children, aged 9 and 13..so they will be going with. But I am leaving my sisters - and we r extremely close - behind! At least we know it is gonna be hard and we can't pretend it's gonna be easy! I always believe to rather prepare for the worst...and everything else is a bonus! At least we have skype, internet etc. ! Not as if we will write paper letters and never see them...?

Is your son a student? I think having either small kids or young adults are better! I am going to have to do the "whole" school thing.."Mom, I have noo friends!" - I must admit that this freaks me out and my kids will be entering the jnr and snr phases of high school. :lol:

Hope you have a g8 week.

Regards

M

Hi

I work with a man who is Afrikaans speaking and brought children in yr 12 and 9. He says they have settled in fine even with all the challenges and are very happy. He said they were not keen to come, but now dont want to return. Most schools will give extra assistance if required and asked for.

We have had children in private and now in state schools and they are doing great. As an excercise try speaking English (the whole family for a day or two).

When I was at school I struggled with Afrikaans and was sent to live on a farm and the rule was NO ENGLISH. After 2 weeks I returned home "thinking in Afrikaans". Unfortunately it got lost as soon as I left school.

In Mackay we met many Afrikaans speaking families. The children adapt very quickly, to the point that a few parents were sad their children had almost totally switched over to English

As to the QLD Brisbane economy, cars sales were through the roof and house prices have started to increase again. That said many companies are cautious of hiring

Hi

We will be doing the "english day thing" - this will make them more comfortable! Thanx...I think, as in most cases, the kids addapt much easier than the adults - I think we project some of our own fears onto them!!!

Why did you change from private to state school? If you don't mind me asking, :lol: which private school did they go to? And which state school are they in now? I would rather learn from others mistakes than try and reinvent the wheel - realizing off course that we are all different etc.

regards

M

Hi Mimi,

I'm also a newby here... and i'm totally feeling your pain. It's also so exciting at the same time. I wish i could just wake up tomorrow and know everything there is to know, have all the money needed to go and just embark on the journey... hee-hee!

I'll be keeping you company and would love to see your experience as it seems to be more or less on the same time frame as us...

Keep well and good luck with the prep work!

Best, Gypsy

Hi Mimi,

I'm also a newby here... and i'm totally feeling your pain. It's also so exciting at the same time. I wish i could just wake up tomorrow and know everything there is to know, have all the money needed to go and just embark on the journey... hee-hee!

I'll be keeping you company and would love to see your experience as it seems to be more or less on the same time frame as us...

Keep well and good luck with the prep work!

Best, Gypsy

Hi Gypsy

Glad to see that there are still "agter ossies" that will go to Oz in future! When do you plan to leave? ..if all goes well - what visa have you applied for? Family? Kids?

The crazy thing for me is that life still goes on - all the daily responsibilities, school etc - AND we have all the prep for the move! :holy:

Regards

Mimi

Hi Mimi!

Ja nee... agter ossies kom ook in die kraal! When do we plan on going? If we had a choice... we would go TOMORROW! I'm still very much in the beginning stages of my visa. Only writing my IELTS on 22 Aug and i'm still struggling through my skills assessment documents... so much to do and having to work at the same time is hard.

But i'm excited... every day is a day closer to Aus. I'm sure if it!

I have two kids. They are 5 and 10 years old. They are so excited and wish i could take them now already... but it will be a huge change for them. Everything and everyone they know here will be gone... But i don't want them to forget where they came from... SA is still awesome, but Aus has better future prospects for them.

You might have mentioned this already but where are you headed? We are thinking of Brisbane and i'll let you know how my school and suburb hunt goes... also keen to do some research into the schooling system... but i'll do that once i've submitted all my dreaded docs. ;-)

Keep well

Hi Mimi!

Ja nee... agter ossies kom ook in die kraal! When do we plan on going? If we had a choice... we would go TOMORROW! I'm still very much in the beginning stages of my visa. Only writing my IELTS on 22 Aug and i'm still struggling through my skills assessment documents... so much to do and having to work at the same time is hard.

I have two kids. They are 5 and 10 years old. They are so excited and wish i could take them now already... but it will be a huge change for them. Everything and everyone they know here will be gone... But i don't want them to forget where they came from... SA is still awesome, but Aus has better future prospects for them.

You might have mentioned this already but where are you headed? We are thinking of Brisbane and i'll let you know how my school and suburb hunt goes... also keen to do some research into the schooling system... but i'll do that once i've submitted all my dreaded docs. ;-)

Keep well

Hi Mimi!

Keep well

Hi G

We are also going to the Brisbane area. I have been referred to a school in Coomera (Gold Coast) by ex South Africans that lived in my area - their kids went to the same school as mine. They have been in Oz fro 3 years now and kids are doing great. I find choosing a suburb daunting - in my mind the school I choose 4 my kids will determine where I live. Problem: Most of the schools, state and independant look g8 from the internet!!!

How to decide which school and which suburb: Anyone with advice in this regard for me and Gypsy - please I will appreciate it!

I am also writing on Aug 22 - will think of u!

Regards to all forum friends

M